Ford may start shipping incomplete vehicles to dealers, let them finish up.

OP
OP
ScrappyLaptop

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
I'm interested in buying a non chipped vehicle off the lot.
after all, its useless, they should give me a real sweet deal to move the inventory.
can anyone say fire sale?
when the chip comes in, i'll pay full pop for the module and install it myself.
I'm guessing they'd only agree to that with a total release of liability for both them and Ford MoCo.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ScrappyLaptop

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
well, if that means they will cut my warranty back, i shall demand a FP tune as well.
might as well go for broke at that point.

i'm aiming for par on trade in values when they do the push pull drag in events.
$500 seems fair for a vehicle that cant be started or driven.
No, it means that if anything ever goes wrong with anything vaguely connected to anything either Ford or the dealer certify before letting a truck off the lot...you agree in a signed contract ahead of time that it's not their fault.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I've never really once been impressed by any car sales operation. Can't say I expect this to work out well.

And while I don't believe the union shills at the factory to be the most competent, I most certainly wouldn't buy a car whose manufacturing was completed by the dealership.
You do realize that if one of these modules goes out and you bring it back to the dealership for warranty work they replace these there? They're basically plug n play so it's not like they're going inside and actually installing each piece. No different than having a blown transmission and the dealerships installs a new one.

Like the guy said can you imagine the bottleneck at the plant if/when all these come in and then trying to ship all of them at once? I wouldn't have any issues with this especially if it means getting my vehicle sooner. To each their own though. ?

OP
OP
ScrappyLaptop

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
You do realize that if one of these modules goes out and you bring it back to the dealership for warranty work they replace these there? They're basically plug n play so it's not like they're going inside and actually installing each piece. No different than having a blown transmission and the dealerships installs a new one.

Like the guy said can you imagine the bottleneck at the plant if/when all these come in and then trying to ship all of them at once? I wouldn't have any issues with this especially if it means getting my vehicle sooner. To each their own though. ?
It's sooo much easier than replacing a blown transmission. Over the decades I've probably replaced at least a dozen ECM (engine control module) or ICM (ignition control module) computers myself.

1. Open hood, find module.
2. Pull off anywhere from 1 to 4 unique, keyed connectors
3. Remove 2 or 3 bolts
4. Bolt on new module
5. Put connectors back on
6. Close hood.

Like you said, it's the same procedure they're trained to do when one fails and needs replacement.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It's sooo much easier than replacing a blown transmission. Over the decades I've probably replaced at least a dozen ECM (engine control module) or ICM (ignition control module) computers myself.

3. Remove 2 or 3 bolts
4. Bolt on new module
6. Close hood.

Like you said, it's the same procedure they're trained to do when one fails and needs replacement.

That's why I don't understand why so many are against this. it's an easy install and you would get your vehicle (which is just sitting in a huge parking lot somewhere) a lot quicker. I know most dealerships are incompetent at doing simple things like an oil change sometimes but they're doing much harder services than this everyday.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

While I'd certainly have to accept it if something like that were to happen under warranty, I wouldn't be super excited about it. And if it were done you'd bet your ass I'd check up on it. Connectors, mounting, dielectric if needed, I'd be checking their work.

I've never once had a particularly good experience at a dealership, sales or service. Ever. It's ranged from acceptable to horrible. I'm the guy that puts a sharpie mark on his filter to make sure it's been changed. It's so bad that while I've rated my local dealership 5 stars on Google for service, they've never done anything great. That's how little I expect out of them.

3. Remove 2 or 3 bolts
4. Bolt on new module
6. Close hood.

I've repaired my YJ pcm on the component level, removing the RTV and replacing caps, ressistors and transistors. I know how simple it is. I simply don't trust others to do simple work they're paid for. Sad, but that's were I'm at.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
While I'd certainly have to accept it if something like that were to happen under warranty, I wouldn't be super excited about it. And if it were done you'd bet your ass I'd check up on it. Connectors, mounting, dielectric if needed, I'd be checking their work.

I've never once had a particularly good experience at a dealership, sales or service. Ever. It's ranged from acceptable to horrible. I'm the guy that puts a sharpie mark on his filter to make sure it's been changed. It's so bad that while I've rated my local dealership 5 stars on Google for service, they've never done anything great. That's how little I expect out of them.
I see a lot of posts like this and it's to bad a lot are having such bad experiences. I guess I've been lucky here and back east as I've had really good service and sales from both with one exception, my Tacoma. Without going into a long dragged out post lets just say it was the worst experience from the sale down to the delivery to the disappointing truck. I'd rather have a colonoscopy with anesthesia than go though that agin. Funny because my Toyota dealer out here treated me so much better than the dealer I bought it from back east.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I see a lot of posts like this and it's to bad a lot are having such bad experiences. I guess I've been lucky here and back east as I've had really good service and sales from both with one exception, my Tacoma. Without going into a long dragged out post lets just say it was the worst experience from the sale down to the delivery to the disappointing truck. I'd rather have a colonoscopy with anesthesia than go though that agin. Funny because my Toyota dealer out here treated me so much better than the dealer I bought it from back east.
I'm sure it's very dependant on locale and individual dealerships. I've just never been impressed.

Good to know it isn't the universal experience.

I like car folks. But "professional" car folks are the enemy mostly.

Fomocodt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 tremor
Occupation
Automotive technician
Clearly this is no small decision. Imagine the complexity of the lawsuits should something go wrong. It's a little dishonest of the Ford person to say he thinks the dealers insurance should cover it, since every policy can be different - unless they all have to buy the same policy under contract with Ford.

On the other hand, nothing is likely to go wrong on a large scale from Ford's point of view, only with specific dealers & likely, specific technicians. As pointed out, these are entire modules like ECMs that are held onto the firewall with a couple bolts and have 1-4 wiring harness connectors. And some could be minor modules that just install inline on the harness somewhere, or ones that dealer techs replace often enough anyway. And from the dealer's point of view, they don't look like a fire sale and they can sell the vehicles on the lot with the contractual understanding of a take-delivery delay.

Still, let's say through miscommunication connecting the auto-warning-braking connector at either end is forgotten at the factory or dealer.

I can see though how it would be far more efficient to have a nation of dealer technicians put modules in a few vehicles each compared to a handful of factory workers trying to get through thousands of them.

I'd still love to know where the bookkeeping advantages fall and who gets them.
As a tech myself I would have multitudes more confidence in us putting them in, however the pay that will come with it is not worth it, especially with having to program 99% of modules.

i am tired of fixing manufacturing issues for pennies on the dollar so ford can ship a truck. This is their problem and i hope a majority of dealers decline the opt in and wait for their allocation.

OP
OP
ScrappyLaptop

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT

I've repaired my YJ pcm on the component level, removing the RTV and replacing caps, ressistors and transistors. I know how simple it is. I simply don't trust others to do simple work they're paid for. Sad, but that's were I'm at.
Somewhat OT but I replace caps on the regular especially for vintage devices from that one era with the pirated cap paste recipe (early 2000's?). But those are easy through-holes on plain old computer, amp & similar PCB's.
How do you deal with the potting on a PCM?

OP
OP
ScrappyLaptop

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
As a tech myself I would have multitudes more confidence in us putting them in, however the pay that will come with it is not worth it, especially with having to program 99% of modules.

i am tired of fixing manufacturing issues for pennies on the dollar so ford can ship a truck. This is their problem and i hope a majority of dealers decline the opt in and wait for their allocation.
2020 certainly brought to light the tension between franchise owners & parent corporations of all sorts. It's interesting to see this play out with Ford.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Somewhat OT but I replace caps on the regular especially for vintage devices from that one era with the pirated cap paste recipe (early 2000's?). But those are easy through-holes on plain old computer, amp & similar PCB's.
How do you deal with the potting on a PCM?
Open module pry and wiggle potted board out. Cut potting away from both sides carefully with something that isn't too sharp, I used dental tools. Replace components, and I believe it was simple RTV I used to replace potting. Did this about 10 years back.

I knew exactly where the blown caps would be from others doing the trailblazing on this repair. So I only had to remove a couple of pieces of potting front and back.

On fuel injected YJs caps will go bad failing to prime the fuel pump. It started with turning the ignition on and waiting a few minutes for the pump to prime then going on about your way. Progressed to over an hour wait. And finally when it started giving out going down the road I knew I needed to do something. Rebuilt replacements weren't available for my rig at the time and cost over $200 when available. Rolled the dice and fixed it for about $3.

I did component level repair of Telco equipment for a couple of years. Replaced a lot of the ones you're talking about on 5ESS grid and switch boards. A lot of those had a nasty conformal coating on them. That shit was the worst.

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
That's why I don't understand why so many are against this

I am not, I am old enough to remember when dealers installed radios, complete air conditioning etc. sure there were problems, but its still a warranty job and they will have to fix things if it doesnt work.

I really think its better than letting dealers add "market value" markups to vehicles on the lot just because their own manufacturer can't supply cars. isnt that sort of like when Enron jacked electric prices in California 20 (?) years ago? they pull the supply and then tell you, sorry, we can get you some but now its 3X more? I personally wouldn't buy floormats from a dealer that plays that game.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
There is a vacant lot near my work that for years has been full of F-150's from the nearby Ford dealer (where I got my Ranger) but it's been empty for about 8 weeks now. Chevy dealer near my dad's house is almost completely empty of both new and used cars.