Ford may start shipping incomplete vehicles to dealers, let them finish up.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
" The microchip shortage continues to plague automakers, but Ford might have a temporary solution by shipping incomplete vehicles to dealers. Then, when the necessary chips are available, the stores could install them and be able to sell them to customers immediately. "

It makes sense, why idle the entire delivery pipeline when they can keep it moving & then just ship out the missing chips/modules/computers. I can't decide though if it means Ford is being optimistic or pessimistic about how soon the foundries will start delivering silicon again. Then again, maybe it's just to tweak accounting and quarterly statements about the number of vehicles shipped to dealers.

https://www.motor1.com/news/520701/ford-unfinished-vehicles-dealers-rumor/
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
FFS, dealers cant get tire pressure correct for delivery, who thinks they can handle installing a chip?
That's because the ones doing the PDI are usually some grunt around the shop.

From the article:

The current plan is that dealers would be able to opt into accepting the vehicles in need of chips. This would solve the problem of some of them not having the space or the desire to take them. For the shops willing to accept the models, Ford would train technicians how to install the chips.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
In the console of each vehicle will be.....

download.jpg

Ready to be installed by a highly trained technical mechanic, or the janitor, whomever finds it first.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
What could go wrong?

After all, dealers are completing the Rousch Ranger build, aren’t they?

??‍♂

Just sayin’

Fomocodt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 tremor
Occupation
Automotive technician
Just to be clear, we are not going to be installing microchips onto circuit boards. The technicians will be installing built modules into the vehicle that are missing.

from a dealer tech point of view, im not thrilled about this. We already get screwed heavily on recalls and warranty repairs, im sure this is not going to be any more fair in paying times. In addition, most if not all of these modules will require programming using FDRS which is a nightmare to use, and since its cloud based, it means every tech in the nation will be trying to pull info off of fords already shitty servers.

Overall id rather them keep the trucks in the factory and have the assembly line workers fix them. About time they own that yearly bonus.

towpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Lariet F150
plus I bet that when said vehicle arrives at your door it gets put on your floor plan.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Assuming they don't operate without the chips, the complications of moving all these now trailers around (they are not trucks, if they don't drive) is a nightmare at every level.

They may have limited run/drive capabilities without the chip, or maybe they have a temp plug-in module to use, which would be better, but still not ideal.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This is from a a dealer who is on the B6G forum. It looks like a simple process and dealers can opt in if they want to. Sounds like a good idea to me so when they do become available now the customer has their vehicle right off the dealers lot and not waiting for it to be shipped.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...co-chip-installation-program-will-work.19646/

We signed up for this program. Our FSE said the chips are for different modules. Dealers would be shipped the modules when they are built and we install and program like any other module replacement. This is not a matter of getting the Weller out with a magnifying glass and trying to stick logic chips on a board. These are completed parts that weren't installed, no big deal. The issue is bailment and if our regular insurance policy covers these or if they are asking us to buy additional coverage. My rep said he believes our current policy is adequate. Also, we aren't talking about tons of vehicles, maybe just one or two lines for now.

I brought the point up on our internal Ford msg. boards at the beginning of May. We have tens of thousands of vehicles (mostly sold) sitting around "lot rotting" waiting for a module to be installed, most run but are missing a module. How are they going to work 35,000 back into the logistic system, who is going to install the modules, how long is it going to take? My point is that they can sit on our lot, they ship us the part(s) to install and we can immediately deliver it to the customer. One of the concerns was if they did this, we don't want it on our floor plan since it's not sellable. This would save Ford millions in additional transport costs, "lot rot", storage costs and allow us to complete transactions faster once parts are in.

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
It's a good idea for a dealer to get some inventory in stock to be able to sell. Our local dealer has hardly any trucks on the lot. I wonder if Ford is going to extend the length of time for free floor plan interest to dealers? I can't see dealers paying interest on vehicles they can't move without chips.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
was at my dealer today for an oil change most of their lot was empty and they only had 2 new rangers for sale so it makes sense. give the dealer an incentive for storage until the modules arrive.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I've never really once been impressed by any car sales operation. Can't say I expect this to work out well.

And while I don't believe the union shills at the factory to be the most competent, I most certainly wouldn't buy a car whose manufacturing was completed by the dealership.

OP
OP
ScrappyLaptop

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
This is from a a dealer who is on the B6G forum. It looks like a simple process and dealers can opt in if they want to. Sounds like a good idea to me so when they do become available now the customer has their vehicle right off the dealers lot and not waiting for it to be shipped.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...co-chip-installation-program-will-work.19646/
Clearly this is no small decision. Imagine the complexity of the lawsuits should something go wrong. It's a little dishonest of the Ford person to say he thinks the dealers insurance should cover it, since every policy can be different - unless they all have to buy the same policy under contract with Ford.

On the other hand, nothing is likely to go wrong on a large scale from Ford's point of view, only with specific dealers & likely, specific technicians. As pointed out, these are entire modules like ECMs that are held onto the firewall with a couple bolts and have 1-4 wiring harness connectors. And some could be minor modules that just install inline on the harness somewhere, or ones that dealer techs replace often enough anyway. And from the dealer's point of view, they don't look like a fire sale and they can sell the vehicles on the lot with the contractual understanding of a take-delivery delay.

Still, let's say through miscommunication connecting the auto-warning-braking connector at either end is forgotten at the factory or dealer.

I can see though how it would be far more efficient to have a nation of dealer technicians put modules in a few vehicles each compared to a handful of factory workers trying to get through thousands of them.

I'd still love to know where the bookkeeping advantages fall and who gets them.