First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
I’ll tell you what, if they made a truck similar to how they were in the 80s, 90s or even the early 2000s without all the extra technology, I would buy it in a heartbeat. They had their problems but were much easier to diagnose. Seems like the last 10 years or so there has been almost an exponential amount of new technology added to these vehicles that I honestly don’t want and care to have. I know companies are forced to do this for various reasons. Unfortunately every vehicle I looked at (all base models) had so much stuff in them that could go wrong and that I honestly didn’t want. Every vehicle I’ve owned has made it to 150k without any issues other than standard maintenance items, a windshield, and a blower motor resistor in my Chevy which I swapped out in 5 minutes. I’ve been lucky yeah, but honestly felt my previous vehicles were bulletproof. Hoping my luck continues but with todays trucks I honestly don’t know. I really like my truck but still with 4700 on it and some of the quirks make me a bit nervous. Only one way to find out I guess.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Sad really what has become of companies, service and satisfaction.

It's all about money now.
I would change that slightly - it is all about SHORT TERM money, now. Nothing matters unless it helps the next quarters profits. No long term thinking - there is a lot of long term TALK, but very little long term ACTION.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Sad really what has become of companies, service and satisfaction.

It's all about money now.
Thing is, if the quality issues don't get fixed it will end up costing them money.
I'm old, I remember the late-70's and early-80's when the Japanese automakers stole Detroit's lunch money.

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I’ll tell you what, if they made a truck similar to how they were in the 80s, 90s or even the early 2000s without all the extra technology, I would buy it in a heartbeat. They had their problems but were much easier to diagnose. Seems like the last 10 years or so there has been almost an exponential amount of new technology added to these vehicles that I honestly don’t want and care to have. I know companies are forced to do this for various reasons. Unfortunately every vehicle I looked at (all base models) had so much stuff in them that could go wrong and that I honestly didn’t want. Every vehicle I’ve owned has made it to 150k without any issues other than standard maintenance items, a windshield, and a blower motor resistor in my Chevy which I swapped out in 5 minutes. I’ve been lucky yeah, but honestly felt my previous vehicles were bulletproof. Hoping my luck continues but with todays trucks I honestly don’t know. I really like my truck but still with 4700 on it and some of the quirks make me a bit nervous. Only one way to find out I guess.

I agree with this and Ford seems to be struggling adapting to all the new technology.
I mean Fords web site and app just struggle sometimes for me. Also my sensors go off with a little snow or ice where it doesn't on my other vehicles. I mean today I was at a train stop and the alarms were going off as the train went by.

That said I do like some of the tech. I like blindside detection. I also love that my truck can see around the rear end. When I had my Colorado I would have killed someone backing up. She walked right behind my truck and never looked and I never saw here because of how high the back is. Thankfully Sandy saw her. With my Ranger it sees these people and the back end is so high it is impossible. Just nice backing up and it can see around for people and other vehicles.

I do agree though the tech is causing allot of these issues.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
10.5 billion seems like a lot.

Maybe that's the problem? Chasing the next dollar and screwing your customers over in the process?

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
I agree with this and Ford seems to be struggling adapting to all the new technology.
I mean Fords web site and app just struggle sometimes for me. Also my sensors go off with a little snow or ice where it doesn't on my other vehicles. I mean today I was at a train stop and the alarms were going off as the train went by.

That said I do like some of the tech. I like blindside detection. I also love that my truck can see around the rear end. When I had my Colorado I would have killed someone backing up. She walked right behind my truck and never looked and I never saw here because of how high the back is. Thankfully Sandy saw her. With my Ranger it sees these people and the back end is so high it is impossible. Just nice backing up and it can see around for people and other vehicles.

I do agree though the tech is causing allot of these issues.
Yeah, and everything you mentioned is pretty valid technology. There’s so much more technology that we don’t see built into the engine and transmission for example. I mean my 2000 Chevy never missed a single shift and drove smooth and rode smooth as could be. Why would we ever need to improve on that. My ranger is half as smooth as my Chevy or 03 Tacoma was for that matter. For 2-3 extra mpg and to meet cafe standards, these newer truck just seem like they’re trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole and I imagine they possibly are. I purchased the vehicle (my first Ford) so I’ll give it an honest shot, but if issues arise, next time around I’ll be in the most reliably tested truck (whatever that is in the future). Toyota and GM have new generations of trucks coming out as well as Ford, so for the foreseeable future it may be a crapshoot.

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
10.5 billion seems like a lot.

Maybe that's the problem? Chasing the next dollar and screwing your customers over in the process?
I mean, the least they could do is give us a reach-around before railing us from behind. ?
Maybe a tailgate damper or ignition bezel to tide us over.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
His discourse sounds like a man with one foot already out the door.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't find a link or video but Jim Farley was on Fox & Friends this morning.
Talking about "onshoring" chips and raw materials due to supply chain issues.
Made the point that even if lithium is mined elsewhere almost all the batteries are made in China.
If that's what he said it's a bit of a stretch, a reason I am in favor of the IRA is that is promotes domestic (US) battery production and already some new plants are underway, the fact that China, Korea and Europe doesn't care for the arguably protectionist aspects of the bill - I say too f'in bad.
I think Farely is a man worried about his future moreso than Ford's . Personally I like EVs but perhaps Jim Farley's push to morph Ford into a Tesla like EV company has created/added to the issues at Ford. GM has taken a less aggressive stance.

"Currently, Chinese companies make up 56% of the EV battery market, followed by Korean companies (26%) and Japanese manufacturers (10%). The leading battery supplier, CATL, expanded its market share from 32% in 2021 to 34% in 2022. One-third of the world's EV batteries come from the Chinese"

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I mean, the least they could do is give us a reach-around before railing us from behind. ?
Maybe a tailgate damper or ignition bezel to tide us over.
I mean, they do have like 4 billion shares so that's a dividend of $2.50 each?

Maybe we should send him a care package?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thing is, if the quality issues don't get fixed it will end up costing them money.
I'm old, I remember the late-70's and early-80's when the Japanese automakers stole Detroit's lunch money.
When that was happening I recall one pundit stating that Detroit focused more on opera windows and other bling than making well engineered autos. 1978 Town car with it's elegant opera window, white sidewalls and what appears to be an illuminated B pillar. Still wish I had my 1959 Bonneville 389 with tri power.
1675444534582.png

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
interesting thread from a knowledge person on vehicle sales

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
I'm sure he's irate as he eats that $300 steak with other top dogs.

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
interesting thread from a knowledge person on vehicle sales

I believe it.
Can not deliver Bronco.
Can not deliver Maverick.
I was at my dealer for a oil change and they only had 1 Ranger in stock.
Newer escape isn't doing well.
No cars to sell other than mustang.
Last two times in they had a few salesmen on the floor and time before that they were sending some home when I was there.
Lot was not even 1/2 full.
When I bought my Ranger from them they had a full lot and a full overflow lot.
Salesman said it been pretty bad since covid started. Thankful for a service department.
Things start to get better for production and interest rates go up hurting sales again.
Sponsored