First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
As I understand it, the frame will remain unchanged but a tophat change is necessary in order to fit that 2.7l.
So the 2.7L 6 cylinder will go in the Bronco? Interesting. 350hp and 400 torque is big jump over the Ranger. Surprised this the engine picked. If so they should bring the option to the Ranger side.
Sponsored

Oregon Comrade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
So the 2.7L 6 cylinder will go in the Bronco? Interesting. 350hp and 400 torque is big jump over the Ranger. Surprised this the engine picked. If so they should bring the option to the Ranger side.
I may be eating crow later on, but I really dont see the point of the 2.7 in the Ranger or this Bronco. A lightly tuned 2.3 would be heads and tales above competitors and plenty for the platform.

Deleted member 1634

I may be eating crow later on, but I really dont see the point of the 2.7 in the Ranger or this Bronco. A lightly tuned 2.3 would be heads and tales above competitors and plenty for the platform.
I absolutely agree with you. Bigger isn't always better or needed. But I have a feeling they'll dump some bigger engines into the new Bronco and Ranger just to please those people who think the amount of liters and cylinders equates to betterness. I'll bet you that there a good amount of people who haven't bought the current gen Ranger simply because it's "only" a 4 cylinder, or "only" a 2.3L, or because it has turbos and "turbos won't last for the life of the engine". Even though it may have more power and torque than the relatively huge V6 (or more) in their current vehicle. I've literally heard all 3 of those reasons from people I work with. And especially with the Bronco, a name that means something to a lot of people, there's going to be people who will hate it if it doesn't come with a massive V8, even more if it doesn't come with at least a V6, no matter what the power numbers are.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
2.7L with 350/400 better have a rear sway bar or people will flip the Ranger/ Bronco.
In the past car makers kept difference between vehicles or if similar like Ford/Lincoln the engines stayed similar other than high end Lincoln model. If base Bronco has a 2.7 I would think it hurts Ranger. But with Ford not making cars, guess they need more selections of trucks/SUVs.

IdriveG5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4
I have pretty much accepted the fact the engine will not be to my liking. So now I hope they get the styling, suspension and clearance to fit some good size tires in stock configuration right! For how long they have been testing this I hope they have 99% of the minor annoyances/problems worked out on the first release. So we are not the guinea pigs like it seems like on our 2019 ranger. I love the Ranger so far, but seems like a lot of minor things they did not pay attention or cared about to closely. Maybe that was there whole plan to begin with, get the Ranger out here in NA for Data from us first time buyers, so then they can perfect the Bronco before they release it! Go Bronco! My pipe dream, I would love to have my 2019 Ranger pull a new 2 door bronco to the off road trail, please ford get it right!

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
I don't know anything, let alone if it will be the base engine. I know I trust at least some things the regulars say at BlueOvalForums, including this recently: "T6 Gen 2 corrects all short comings with I-4 and V engines and then some...". It's not much without context I realize, and could easily fall into the rumor and gossip category. Came from this thread if you want down a rabbit hole -https://blueovalforums.com/forums/i...-ranger-detroit-free-press-truck-of-the-year/. Given that some of them are Ford employees (including at least one who works at MAP), it takes a whole lot of reading between the lines. And of course they like to speculate too.

In summary, take my comment will a full portion of salt :).

IdriveG5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4
Now this is the first posting of the bronco that is getting me excited!

Oregon Comrade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Now this is the first posting of the bronco that is getting me excited!

Thanks for sharing.

Granted, I have not been keeping up with all the chatter, but that 'raptor' version looks pretty big to me, like quite a bit bigger than the Ranger based iteration, particularly with those big tires. Not that it would make sense, but it almost looks like they made a Bronco out of the Raptor F150 and a Bronco out of the Ranger. Maybe it's the flares, 4 doors and 35's, but a Ranger on 33's looks "big", this rig on 35's looks fairly normally proportioned.

If they did end up putting in a 2.7 and fitted it with 35's, I really struggle to believe that it would be built on the Ranger platform at it stands.....

Nonetheless exciting, can't wait to see where this goes.

BigG

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F150
My dad is in the market for a new truck or SUV. The Bronco is on his list but I think he should get the Ranger of F150.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
that's terrifyingly ugly.. hope this is a diversion
It's a heavily camouflaged test mule, and not the final product. The camo team does extensive work to make sure you can't tell what the vehicle looks like, more often than not, it's horrendously ugly. Plus, the hacked up Ranger body on a Bronco frame is obviously not something that the design team would come out with.
Sponsored