Folding mirrors - neat truck.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I accidentally stumbled across this trick.

First of all, you must have the power folding mirror option (duh)

I noticed that pressing the button to fold the mirrors is deactivated when you turn the truck off...BUT it remembers if you press it upon next start.

So...

I fold the mirrors while the truck is still running...THEN... I press the button AFTER the truck is off.

This way, the next time I start the truck, the mirrors unfold.

No big deal but I thought it was cool.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Deleted member 1634

I accidentally stumbled across this truck.

I noticed that pressing the button to fold the mirrors is deactivated when you turn the truck off...BUT it remembers if you press it upon next start.

So...

I fold the mirrors while the truck is still running...THEN... I press the button AFTER the truck is off.

That's pretty interesting and cool find! That way you wouldn't forget to re-deploy your mirrors before setting off. Not that I have that problem or wouldn't notice pretty much immediately anyways. But still, a cool little "feature".

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
I accidentally stumbled across this truck.

So...

The problem is remembering to fold the mirrors while its still running and pressing it after its off. Well it was for me anyways.

But there’s a member here selling affordable power fold modules that fold the mirror when you lock your door and automatically unfolds the mirrors when you start the truck. Now I don't even have to think about that stuff.

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, I really wish they folded in after the key is off

RandomHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ford Ranger
The problem is remembering to fold the mirrors while its still running and pressing it after its off. Well it was for me anyways.

But there’s a member here selling affordable power fold modules that fold the mirror when you lock your door and automatically unfolds the mirrors when you start the truck. Now I don't even have to think about that stuff.
I discovered this a month ago and it became habit after a couple weeks. Definitely wish this was automatic, but the habit is there for me now.

Al Gordon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I do the same thing (fold when the power is on, press the button again after powering off). The mirror folding button seems to be a physical 2-position switch. The position is "remembered" in kind of the same way that a standard light switch "remembers" if it's in the up or down position. ;) At least in my Ranger, that button sits a little higher when the mirrors are deployed, and lower when they are deployed.

I'm going to take a look at the RCMustangs auto folding mirror post. Thanks for the recommendation.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
Don't they also automatically unfold when you drive off and get above a certain mph? I haven't tried it on my Ranger yet, but I know that was how it worked on my Explorer.

OP
OP
FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Don't they also automatically unfold when you drive off and get above a certain mph? I haven't tried it on my Ranger yet, but I know that was how it worked on my Explorer.
Tested this on my way to work this morning.

No, they don't automatically open. Got it up to 45 mph and the stayed closed.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, that is surprising, and somewhat of a safety concern I think.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I accidentally stumbled across this trick.

So...

So, stupid question, I know, but where is this button?

OP
OP
FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
So, stupid question, I know, but where is this button?
Not stupid...lol.

On the dashboard on the left of the steering wheel. It's kinda hidden behind the steering wheel. My F150 had it on the door.

Course, you have to have that option. I have a Lariat.

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
I love the electronic folding mirrors as I have a narrow parking space at home. I drove all the mid size PU's and FORD Ranger buys the most safety and nice to have items than any other brand for my $35,000 new XLT Sport. That includes the Arrogant Honda who charges for safety items by making you purchase the top tier of their Ridgeline and still no folding mirrors! :^)

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Not stupid...lol.

On the dashboard on the left of the steering wheel. It's kinda hidden behind the steering wheel. My F150 had it on the door.

Course, you have to have that option. I have a Lariat.
Dear FX4OFFROAD: Thanks for the instructions. With the position of the steering wheel, it was completely hidden! And, yes, I do have the Lariat! I will now be folding my mirrors in most parking spots, just to make it slightly less likely that somebody will bump into them! Regards, Marc

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4

You shouldn't post a reply like this with out a link to "the guy"!! lol... Fold on lock would be Great. But the OP's discovery is super none the less
Sponsored

Last edited: