First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
"Laboring" the engine does NOT mean revving the snot out of it, it actually means the opposite i.e. lugging it at low rpm in too high a gear. Which is not possible in our automatic-only only Rangers, so these break-in instructions were written for a manual trans vehicle.
Not true at all. You apparently live in the flatlands somewhere.

Which is why there is a top gear lockout in D .

I have always seen “Sport” mode as kind of a joke since it didn’t seem to make much difference on regular vehicles. So with 2500 Miles on the od I pulled the shifter back today..

Oh My God

totally transformed vehicle in S. I can’t get over it.
It's really not THAT big of a difference, just holds gears longer. I haven't timed them legitimately but from a stop my butt dyno says D and S will accelerate just the same if you get on it. From a 40mph roll, that wouldn't be the case because of the aforementioned changes.
Sponsored

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just saying its "feels" to my "ass" to be a much bigger difference between D and S than any other vehicle I have ever piloted. I don't drive a lot of new cars though.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I'm just saying its "feels" to my "ass" to be a much bigger difference between D and S than any other vehicle I have ever piloted. I don't drive a lot of new cars though.
I get 'cha, seems pretty normal to me as far as slushboxes go. But I don't drive many automatics outside of work. Compared to my wife's N/A 2.5 CX-5's auto it's very close. The sport mode in that car makes the anemic engine feel ALMOST sporty.

The Ranger's S mode seems very similar to the CX-5s. Neither really help with acceleration from a full stop, however the longer gear holds put you in the right RPM range if you need to get on it from a roll.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
I get 'cha, seems pretty normal to me as far as slushboxes go. But I don't drive many automatics outside of work. Compared to my wife's N/A 2.5 CX-5's auto it's very close. The sport mode in that car makes the anemic engine feel ALMOST sporty.

The Ranger's S mode seems very similar to the CX-5s. Neither really help with acceleration from a full stop, however the longer gear holds put you in the right RPM range if you need to get on it from a roll.
I'm going to agree with Adam here. My wife has a CX-5 Sig with the 2.5 Turbo. Putting it in Sport mode just seems to keep it from shifting to a higher gear as soon as normal mode. The Ranger seems to always keep it in a low enough gear to keep it revving, no matter what the speed. Now, my old Lexus would just tighten the steering wheel feel and give you a little extra peddle response. It did nothing with the gears.

The biggest difference here, is the Ranger has 10 forward gears, where the other two vehicles only have 6. I'm having a hard time getting used to that.

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
I'm going to agree with Adam here. My wife has a CX-5 Sig with the 2.5 Turbo. Putting it in Sport mode just seems to keep it from shifting to a higher gear as soon as normal mode. The Ranger seems to always keep it in a low enough gear to keep it revving, no matter what the speed. Now, my old Lexus would just tighten the steering wheel feel and give you a little extra peddle response. It did nothing with the gears.

The biggest difference here, is the Ranger has 10 forward gears, where the other two vehicles only have 6. I'm having a hard time getting used to that.
Ive read on here that a tune fixes all of the issues mentioned above without having to put it in Sport mode. I plan on the Livernois tune in the near future.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman

I think this is the difference maker.

The 10spd puts it in the powerband and eats.

Wish my old lady could've waited for the redesign and turbo. But it is nice to have one newer vehicle that doesn't use premium.

Scott D

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/STX
I'm about 8 miles away from 1K and I've got on my Supercab (kinda) twice.

My previous vehicle was a '01 Bullitt GT (275 HP) and I gotta say the Ranger feels more impressive.

The pedal hasn't even been to the floor yet, but I'm more than satisfied already.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody break them lose in D or S on entering 4th gear?:surprised:

Last edited:

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Love it!
I wish Ranger would come out with the 2.7 ..
Regards
I think they might. Hopefully it won’t just be in the Raptor. There’s rumors that GM is bringing their 2.7 and making it standard for the Colorado/Canyon.
Can’t lie, I’m very interested in that motor.

Reactions: Doc

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hey can a person change shift points etc. to resemble S mode with just forskin, a laptop, and their fingertips? Without buying any kind of tune?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Hey can a person change shift points etc. to resemble S mode with just forskin, a laptop, and their fingertips? Without buying any kind of tune?
Pretty sure the answer is no.

Ames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Crew Cab 4x4 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I feel like people would prefer not to use forskin when changing shift points.

:p

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like people would prefer not to use forskin when changing shift points.

:p
Thankfully i lost my foreskin at birth but maybe id like to have it back now..?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The Internal Revenue sends their auditor to audit a synagogue. The auditor is doing all the checks, and then turns to the Rabbi and says, "I noticed that you buy a lot of candles." "Yes," answered the Rabbi. "Well, Rabbi, what do you do with the candle drippings?" he asked. "A good question," noted the Rabbi. "We actually save them up when we have enough, we send them back to the candle maker and every now and then, they send us a free box of candles." "Oh," replied the auditor somewhat disappointed that his question actually had a practical answer. So he thought he'd try another question, in his obnoxious way..."Rabbi, what about all these matzo purchases? What do you do with the crumbs from the matzo?" "Ah, yes," replied the Rabbi calmly, "we actually collect up the crumbs, we send them in a box back to the manufacturer and every now and then, they send a box of matzo balls." "Oh," replied the auditor, thinking hard how to fluster the Rabbi."Well, Rabbi," he went on, "what do you do with all the foreskins from the circumcisions?" "Yes, here too, we do not waste," answered the Rabbi. "What we do is save up all the foreskins, and when we have enough we actually send them to the Internal Revenue." "Internal Revenue!," questioned the auditor in disbelief. "Ah, yes," replied the Rabbi, "Internal Revenue. And about once a year, they send us a little prick like you. "
Sponsored