"Safe" towing limit without trailer brakes

MichMan

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 2010 Ford Explorer
I plan on using my Ranger to tow my utility trailer and ATV during the summer, which combined weigh in at around 1800-1850 pounds. I do not have brakes on my trailer, and after reading the lengthy threads on Ford deciding not to install a controller with the towing package, I'm not sure if I will install one right away. The manual states that the towing limit without trailer brakes is 1650 pounds. I'm sure this limit was set a wee bit low to protect any liability for Ford. I'm wondering what would be considered safe in the towing community using standard accepted formulas based on vehicle and trailer weights? And yes, I'm aware I am responsible for towing anything outside the manufacturers limits.
Sponsored

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I wouldn’t think you’d have any issues. I’ve towed much more than that with my old Ranger and didn’t have a problem... just be aware of what’s around you and leave yourself some extra space!

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
I plan on using my Ranger to tow my utility trailer and ATV during the summer, which combined weigh in at around 1800-1850 pounds. I do not have brakes on my trailer, and after reading the lengthy threads on Ford deciding not to install a controller with the towing package, I'm not sure if I will install one right away. The manual states that the towing limit without trailer brakes is 1650 pounds. I'm sure this limit was set a wee bit low to protect any liability for Ford. I'm wondering what would be considered safe in the towing community using standard accepted formulas based on vehicle and trailer weights? And yes, I'm aware I am responsible for towing anything outside the manufacturers limits.
*coughs*
2000+ lbs of water, backed uphill no issue. Pulled wonderfully, just have to be careful with brake distances.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I tow my RZR on a utility trailer with zero problems. Can't even tell it is back there for the most part.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Sounds like the 1650# is an arbitrary 40% of the truck's weight.
That is a kind of common "rule of thumb" number,
Another is the ability to stop within 40 feet @20MPH.
In my state Brakes are required on a trailer which weighs over 3000#.
Most utility trailers don't have brakes, I have towed a 5X10 ft open utility trailer for years without trailer brakes using several vehicles which were less capable than the 2019 Ranger.
I.E. Ford Escape, TC, 2001 Ranger, and more.

I haven't weighed it with every load, but I am often tired and sore after loading or unloading it.
We have often carried stuff like furniture, mass quantities of bicycles, a golf cart, motorcycle, toolboxes, ETC.

Consider that the payload capacity without a trailer ls 1860# on my 2019 Ranger and that the brakes are massive for its class.

A little common sense change of driving habits is always a good idea when towing ,with or without brakes.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Paul,

What is the limit by Michigan law for non required aux brakes in the trailer? I believe this will be your defining legal limit. And your are correct about your responsibility relative to Ford requirements to which you exceed. I towed a race car which weigned 1200 lbs with a 400 lbs trailer....no problems with the Police in Michigan or elsewhere in the country where I raced.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I barely use the trailer brakes when towing my 6000 pound travel trailer. I wouldn’t worry about anything up to 5000 personally. Just gotta be more cautious the more weight you have. The ranger brakes work very well

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Michigan State Law requires trailer brakes when the load exceeds 3000 lbs.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
we have all seen the occasional haulmaster in a Hyundai SUV, towing the camping trailer for its seasonal trip to Camp Jellystone on july 4th long weekend and the trailer starts swaying and tossing the kids from side to side....not that the trailer was too big or for the SUV or anything...

it comes down to your experience more than anything. Are you comfortable handling what gets thrown at you when a situation developes?

If you're not sure, then you shouldn't do it.
Actually no...
What I have seen a dozen times or more is a fullsized pickup with a toyhauler upsidedown in the ditch because the weekend warrior at the wheel thought he could tow an improperly loaded trailer at eighty MPH going down the road oblivious to traffic with a sway so bad it looked like a ruptured duck at a dead run... And yeah, he surely had trailer brakes.

Last edited:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
their experience showed....which was my point.
And a good point it is too!... :like:

At the other end of the spectrum is overconfidence.
It has been said that the most dangerous part of any vehicle is a loose nut behind the wheel.
A careless overconfident experienced driver can often be worse than a cautious novice.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
And a good point it is too!... :like:

At the other end of the spectrum is overconfidence.
It has been said that the most dangerous part of any vehicle is a loose nut behind the wheel.
A careless overconfident experienced driver can often be worse than a cautious novice.
To be honest I’m that guy
Sponsored