Factory Running Boards

What do you guys think of the factory running boards?

• Total voters
OP
OP
Alex

Alex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Nice looking Ranger. They bring big money just about everywhere. I was looking at a few before buying the '19.
Buying a clean ''11 for $15 was a bit nuts. Saw a few low mileage '10's and '11's with 28K and 30K miles for $17500+.
It was a 05 FX4 with only 80,000 miles when I traded it in. It looked good from far away, but it had a ton of rust everywhere. The rust ate holes in the bed, passenger door, driver door, passenger fender, rear spring hangers and a whole lot more (that was with 7 cans of fluid film and weekly washes) . That’s the main reason i got a new one, so I didn't have to deal with so much rust.
Sponsored

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It was a 05 FX4 with only 80,000 miles when I traded it in. It looked good from far away, but it had a ton of rust everywhere. The rust ate holes in the bed, passenger door, driver door, passenger fender, rear spring hangers and a whole lot more (that was with 7 cans of fluid film and weekly washes) . That’s the main reason i got a new one, so I didn't have to deal with so much rust.
No rust here, just high prices.

Tom2870

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2019 Lariat SuperCab, 1970 VW Beetle
Occupation
Retired
I had Ford accessory running boards on my 2002 from new. They held up well, but I live in North Carolina and if we see snow we hide. I have them on my new 2019 Super Cab. They look good and seem to be of high quality.
DSC02393.JPG

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I too have the factory running boards on my Lariat and I like them. They match the other trim.

Not sure if anyone answered your question about do they fold up or retract, they do not. :(

ed1946

First Name
elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 taurus
Occupation
retired
Just ordered a set of factory boards, will let you know after I get them

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Everyone,
I recently purchased a 2019 Ford Ranger with the factory running boards, and I think they look rather good. I had to remove the factory running boards / nerf step bar off my old Rangers due to the rust :( (got to love the rust belt), but since these seem to be aluminum they should hopefully last.

What do you guys think of the factory running boards?

The guys that have them, how are they holding up?

We got a good inch of snow yesterday and they seem to keep the slush and salt away from the doors:like:

IMG_1528.jpg
I have ordered the Black Appearance Package on a Lariat, with delivery "promised" for mid-August. The package includes the factory black runners. I will let you know how I like them and whether we decide to upgrade with OEM or other sellers' chrome runners (for better visibility at night)....

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
They look good, but I find them useless. I don't step on them to get in or out.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I'm torn on the running boards - my last truck had them (I didn't order them, they just came on it), and I think they looked good, but I found that I rarely actually used them. More often than not they were just something to step over when getting in and out. The other thing I never liked about them was that they accumulated a LOT of mud and snow when I went on gravel roads.

The only times I recall using them was stepping on them with the door open and then I usually held onto the grab handle - it wasn't to get in/out of the truck, it was usually to try and get a better view of something. Since I don't have a grab handle on the driver's side, that makes it even less useful for me.

I think for my new truck I've decided to skip them. Thus far I really don't miss them.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I'm torn on the running boards - my last truck had them (I didn't order them, they just came on it), and I think they looked good, but I found that I rarely actually used them. More often than not they were just something to step over when getting in and out. The other thing I never liked about them was that they accumulated a LOT of mud and snow when I went on gravel roads.

The only times I recall using them was stepping on them with the door open and then I usually held onto the grab handle - it wasn't to get in/out of the truck, it was usually to try and get a better view of something. Since I don't have a grab handle on the driver's side, that makes it even less useful for me.

I think for my new truck I've decided to skip them. Thus far I really don't miss them.
And if you feel you would like them you can add them in the future too. Get a feel of your truck and decide is a good idea.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
And if you feel you would like them you can add them in the future too. Get a feel of your truck and decide is a good idea.
That was basically my thought process....
Sponsored