First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2002 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Traffic Signal Technician
I believe most if not all of us have cameras in our Rangers facing forward and back. Has anyone heard of an app or a way to utilize our factory cameras as a dashcam? Maybe with the popularity of dashcams these days Ford will consider a way to record and store video from the existing cameras they already install. I've seen the view of the rear camera and realize it's not necessarily focused correctly to record video from the rear of the truck, no idea what the video from the front looks like but possibly have a camera that adjust the field of view depending on whether it's currently being used to back up or a dashcam.
Sponsored

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I believe most if not all of us have cameras in our Rangers facing forward and back. Has anyone heard of an app or a way to utilize our factory cameras as a dashcam? Maybe with the popularity of dashcams these days Ford will consider a way to record and store video from the existing cameras they already install. I've seen the view of the rear camera and realize it's not necessarily focused correctly to record video from the rear of the truck, no idea what the video from the front looks like but possibly have a camera that adjust the field of view depending on whether it's currently being used to back up or a dashcam.
I don't mean to be cynical, but I suspect theF/R cameras are already uploading to Ford. This in addition to several other things being uploaded via the Ford Connect datalink. Data on how and how often you adjust your HVAC, media, rate of acceleration-deceleration Regular vs Sport vs Trailer transmission use, on and on.

OP
OP
RangerMarc

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I don't mean to be cynical, but I suspect theF/R cameras are already uploading to Ford. This in addition to several other things being uploaded via the Ford Connect datalink. Data on how and how often you adjust your HVAC, media, rate of acceleration-deceleration Regular vs Sport vs Trailer transmission use, on and on.
I enjoy a good conspiracy theory as much as anyone else but I was considering buying a dashcam and thought technically I already have one I just don't have any access to the video from the camera. I am more interested in what we can gain from using an existing camera than what is being collected by big brother. The permissions you give to apps on your cell phone already give away all the info anyone would ever want to know...

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
At first I was wondering what front facing camera you were referencing. I think you mean the one for lane-keeping? I’d trust the clock on my VCR more than that camera. As far as I can tell, it’s an epileptic cockroach using an etch-a-sketch.

OP
OP
RangerMarc

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I know about the rear camera but where's the front one?
Right above the rearview mirror. Used for lane assist I believe and used for spying on us...ha ha

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Right above the rearview mirror. Used for lane assist I believe and used for spying on us...ha ha
lol thats not a picture camera...it's a visual sensor...tapping into the OEM display can be done but this is easier...

IMG_7065.JPG

OP
OP
RangerMarc

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
At first I was wondering what front facing camera you were referencing. I think you mean the one for lane-keeping? I’d trust the clock on my VCR more than that camera. As far as I can tell, it’s an epileptic cockroach using an etch-a-sketch.
I know all cameras are not created equal but the unreliable outcomes of these forward facing cameras are more likely in the programming than they are an actual failure of the camera itself. Aren't you at least interested in seeing what the video from this camera looks like, and if so consider the usefulness of it outside what Ford intended.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Not sure about the cockroach or the Etch-a-Sketch, but I'm pretty sure the camera is nowhere near the resolution you would want for a dashcam. Yes it can pick up and recognize speed signs but.

OP
OP
RangerMarc

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
lol thats not a picture camera...it's a visual sensor...tapping into the OEM display can be done but this is easier...

IMG_7065.JPG
Maybe you can explain how a "visual sensor" is able to read signs including speed limit signs? Sure seems to me like it's a camera. Programming and software determine what a CCD is used for.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe you can explain how a "visual sensor" is able to read signs including speed limit signs? Sure seems to me like it's a camera. Programming and software determine what a CCD is used for.
That's a good question for Dr Phil...

OP
OP
RangerMarc

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not sure about the cockroach or the Etch-a-Sketch, but I'm pretty sure the camera is nowhere near the resolution you would want for a dashcam. Yes it can pick up and recognize speed signs but.
But we don't know because we don't get to see the video from this camera.
I was just throwing out an idea that if there is a camera there it could be used for other purposes and if the resolution / field of view isn't optimum for a dashcam it can be adjusted or focused so it can be multipurpose.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I hear what you are saying. I hope to see an integrated camera in the future. Not sure if it will be able to serve too many purposes. A few automakers are offering this now.
Of course then there is the time it will take to catch up to what the aftermarket is offering.
I have a BlackVue that I am really happy with. It is far better than the quality of the Ford backup camera.

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Occupation
Paramedic/Shift Supervisor
Just get a Vantrue N4. Then purchase the optional hardwire and the GPS mount. It gets front, cabin and rear on three separate videos, as well as GPS location and speed. It has saved my ass twice. It's predecessor, the N2 Pro saved my ass a couple times, as well.

Vantrue N4 on Amazon