First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Great example of the entitlement mentality folks have today.

It would be fitting if somebody ran a log chain through the back wheel, to and through the front wheel, and placed a pad lock on it.

But.. after all.... it's a Dodge, so that's par for the course.. :crazy:
Another problem is that the officials in charge are unwilling to tow vehicles and put stickers on them instead. A few expensive tows will get the word out.
Sponsored

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Another problem is that the officials in charge are unwilling to tow vehicles and put stickers on them instead. A few expensive tows will get the word out.
It worked on RT 93 in NH. People from Mass and NY were parking on the side of the Freeway to hike the Franconia Ridge loop, which is touted as one of the most iconic loop hikes in the world. People were parking underneath the no parking signs. Police started writing tickets and when that didn't have the desired effect, started towing. Now there is a shuttle service going to the Cannon mountain parking lot to Franconia Notch trailheads. One can walk the distance, but it adds a couple miles to an already long day hike. Last year, due to Covid, the shuttle service was postponed.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
It worked on RT 93 in NH. People from Mass and NY were parking on the side of the Freeway to hike the Franconia Ridge loop, which is touted as one of the most iconic loop hikes in the world. People were parking underneath the no parking signs. Police started writing tickets and when that didn't have the desired effect, started towing. Now there is a shuttle service going to the Cannon mountain parking lot to Franconia Notch trailheads. One can walk the distance, but it adds a couple miles to an already long day hike. Last year, due to Covid, the shuttle service was postponed.
I didn't see many tows last year, but I saw lots of cones and signs. We drive through the notch to get to our summer place in Bethel.

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Last time I went hunting on public land during gun season, a person decided it was necessary to run around the forest yelling and playing music "to save the deer from killers like me". Thankfully the DNR was close by and arrested the idiot. There is literally gunfire in this forest and it'd be real easy for that person to get hurt and never know who did it. Wasn't even wearing orange.

Thankfully this person came across me and not someone less tolerant and calm, plus I never find a deer on public land anyway, so I just walked him to the access road where he said his car was with my rifle slung and my sidearm holstered. My text to my favorite DNR agent along the way had the local DNR guy ready and waiting to arrest. When you get arrested in WMA land, even for something other than poaching, you can have your vehicle taken from you... and never get it back.

So far trails in my state are available but the litter along them is embarrasing. The litter deep in a public land forest is embarassing. I end up picking up garbage bags full. So when environmentalists get ticked about off-roaders and hunters... part of me gets it. And when I post on hunting forums or whatever asking people to stop doing this, I get chewed out instead of supported. So... there is a problem and that problem needs to be addressed (by parents).

Deleted member 1634

Last time I went hunting on public land during gun season, a person decided it was necessary to run around the forest yelling and playing music "to save the deer from killers like me". Thankfully the DNR was close by and arrested the idiot. There is literally gunfire in this forest and it'd be real easy for that person to get hurt and never know who did it. Wasn't even wearing orange.

Thankfully this person came across me and not someone less tolerant and calm, plus I never find a deer on public land anyway, so I just walked him to the access road where he said his car was with my rifle slung and my sidearm holstered. My text to my favorite DNR agent along the way had the local DNR guy ready and waiting to arrest. When you get arrested in WMA land, even for something other than poaching, you can have your vehicle taken from you... and never get it back.
Just out of curiosity, what were/would be the charges against someone doing something like that? Disturbing the peace? Because I still go hiking and biking on public land during hunting season, if it's open (some state parks close for a bit to prevent human casualties). But I don't play music or yell. And I wear orange of course, because I'd rather not get shot.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Just out of curiosity, what were/would be the charges against someone doing something like that? Disturbing the peace? Because I still go hiking and biking on public land during hunting season, if it's open (some state parks close for a bit to prevent human casualties). But I don't play music or yell. And I wear orange of course, because I'd rather not get shot.
I don’t think that’s illegal, though it isn’t exactly thoughtful. But, public land hunting is a crapshoot and the serious people go in pretty far, that’s what I did.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity what law was the "person" in violation of ? A few yrs back was deep in the woods elk hunting when some thoughtful person arrived not too far away and decided to open up with his AR-15 - not a quiet firearm and this guy was
In most states it is unlawful to interfere with hunters, fishermen, trappers . Now some 30 yrs back was fishing at Snowmass Lake outside of Aspen - gorgeous area and outstanding rainbow fishery (since degraded by overuse and some thoughtful person introduced brook trout to it) . Climbers headed to Snowmass Peak pass by the lake and a couple of women leave the trail and approach me and begin to harangue me for fishing and saying " I should leave the fish alone, I'm ruining the wilderness" I told they were completely ignorant and where to stick it - trout are stocked in lakes in CO for fishermen, the vast majority of lakes never had fish populations until stocked.

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
If you don't have a hunting license, you cannot be in WMAs during gun season especially. The DNR usually won't get on your case if it's archery or muzzleloader season, but still... you could get yourself sniped by someone with bad intentions or by mistake. It's not smart to go out there. You're also interfearing with the hunt that these people are entitled to by even stepping through the forest on a path. Those same paths are where deer and turkey cross to get to where they go. If you're there, they'll leave and the hunter will have wasted their time... again... thanks to a human. I can't tell you how many times a "hiker" walked right in front of me not even knowing I was there. Why? Because I'm hiding, I'm quiet, and I've been there so long the forest doesn't even notice me. It's fun going "Boo" to someone who shouldn't be there in the middle of a forest, I will say.

Wearing orange is a must during any designated hunting season. I put orange on my dog even on hiking trails that border the hunting areas just in case he somehow goes after the a solid gold squirrel and gets into the forest. There are a few hiking trails on WMAs I've been to that you can hike but just to the left is the zone for hunting, including firearm hunting... so need to be aware. Not to mention the hillbillies that go into these forests sometimes just to shoot stuff.

If you interfere with legal hunting, you can be arrested and at least ticketed by DNR or even regular county police. The DNR have a lot of power -- you don't want to mess with them. They are like State Police for the forest and have jurisdiction effectively anywhere.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
We're fighting battles like that in NH, a local town official promised a fancy private school that they'd close the public land to hunting if they moved in. The school was hoping to buy a smaller lot near public land and use the land for outdoor classrooms. Little did they know it's against state law to close public lands like that, so now it's a big fight. Personally I think the official should be heavily fined, public resources aren't to be monopolized by private companies.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
We're fighting battles like that in NH, a local town official promised a fancy private school that they'd close the public land to hunting if they moved in. The school was hoping to buy a smaller lot near public land and use the land for outdoor classrooms. Little did they know it's against state law to close public lands like that, so now it's a big fight. Personally I think the official should be heavily fined, public resources aren't to be monopolized by private companies.
Money talks . . . and usually wins.

Money.gif

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
In Maine and NH where I do my hiking, hikers and hunters share the land. During hunting season, I wear blaze orange and don't purposely interfere with someone enjoying the same public land. Fortunately most of my hiking goes up. Hunters typically don't want to be too far from a road. Even dragging a 100 pound deer is damn hard work in the woods, not to mention a moose or bear.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Got any stat's on that?

I agree, that used to be the case, and that may well be the case where you live ... but today, my experiences here in Colorado have proven to me that there are more folks saying "If I don't get caught, I've done nothing wrong" as opposed to saying "true character is what I do when nobody is looking, and a I solemnly swear to follow every law and rule".

Today more than ever, folks evaluate , bend, twist and prostitute rules and laws to fit their individual needs and wants. And then use the excuse, well everybody else is doing it.

Character matters.

Hikers at popular Ice Lakes trail left behind feces, trash and damaged historic mining structures
I'm also in Colorado and can attest to this.

Our State and National Forrests have actually closed areas this year for them to recover from the damage done by all these so-called stewards' "dispersed camping." And that's not even mentioning the fires caused by them.

The problem is everybody wants to get out into nature, especially last year. And most of our visitors here, are from out of state and will return home without thought about the lasting effects their camping outing caused to OUR environment.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I'm also in Colorado and can attest to this.

Our State and National Forrests have actually closed areas this year for them to recover from the damage done by all these so-called stewards' "dispersed camping." And that's not even mentioning the fires caused by them.

The problem is everybody wants to get out into nature, especially last year. And most of our visitors here, are from out of state and will return home without thought about the lasting effects their camping outing caused to OUR environment.
100% agree with this. Almost everywhere I go these days I'll find leftovers from the group before. Food, bottles, piles of shitty TP that didn't get buried. Someone had even had a bonfire in a trailhead parking lot and left a bunch of unburned pallets in addition to all the melted beer bottles they'd just thrown in the fire.

It's also not uncommon at all to find smoldering campfires that had been poorly doused with water or just covered with a fine layer of dirt and left. Throw a few clumps of dry pine needles on them, and they'll start right back up.

Not to mention all the people that are driving around obstacles in the trails...

With all this going on, it's no wonder that places are getting closed.

Hank the Tank

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Housing Case Manager, Full-time student
Vehicle Showcase
100% agree with this. Almost everywhere I go these days I'll find leftovers from the group before. Food, bottles, piles of shitty TP that didn't get buried. Someone had even had a bonfire in a trailhead parking lot and left a bunch of unburned pallets in addition to all the melted beer bottles they'd just thrown in the fire.

It's also not uncommon at all to find smoldering campfires that had been poorly doused with water or just covered with a fine layer of dirt and left. Throw a few clumps of dry pine needles on them, and they'll start right back up.

Not to mention all the people that are driving around obstacles in the trails...

I subscribe to your YouTube channel and watched your most recent upload. I appreciate how you include campsite cleanup in your edit. With the growing popularity of camping and 'overlanding' its good to see people who demonstrate camp/trail etiquette on our public lands. I hope those who are new to exploring the backroads will see videos like yours and adopt this behavior. Great series?. Also, you (and Revere Overland) have the best music of any overland channel.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless

By obstacles assume you mean the objects the forest service puts to keep people from going onto closed area . Some people see this as simply a challenge to find a way thru, over or around, I was originally amazed at how extensive some of these obstacles have become, yet the increased number of GOAT type vehicles means more people proving their mettle and defeating. definately a growing trend in CO - more and more areas facing closure or permit to access.
Sponsored