Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
For the factory homelink, it is built into the driver's side visor :puke:

You can buy the exact same unit that is built into the visor on Amazon for $150. Put it wherever you like and connected it to an accessory power fuse so that it only has power when the key is on.
Sponsored

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
Homelink is powered OFF when vehicle is turned off. My 2021 Ranger, and 2 Subaru's all stop working when ignition is off.
You might want to check that to be 100% sure. If yours is indeed off, I am jealous.

My 2021 Ranger works when off (push start ignition) and my wife's 2012 Honda Pilot works when off. I have verified this many times. I installed a homelink unit in my Father-in-law's Tundra and specifically ran it to accessory power instead of constant 12v for this very reason.

Being powered on without the key is my 1 major complaint about the Homelink units.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
You might want to check that to be 100% sure. If yours is indeed off, I am jealous.

My 2021 Ranger works when off (push start ignition) and my wife's 2012 Honda Pilot works when off. I have verified this many times. I installed a homelink unit in my Father-in-law's Tundra and specifically ran it to accessory power instead of constant 12v for this very reason.

Being powered on without the key is my 1 major complaint about the Homelink units.
HORRORS !!! Your right !!! I was hitting the wrong button on the Ford, and wife just went out to her Subi, in the garage, and hit hers...it works.
HORRORS !!!
At least there both garaged. I deleted my response as it was bad info>
Damn !!!

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
HORRORS !!! Your right !!! I was hitting the wrong button on the Ford, and wife just went out to her Subi, in the garage, and hit hers...it works.
HORRORS !!!
At least there both garaged. I deleted my response as it was bad info>
Damn !!!
I really don't understand how they could have such a huge design flaw. Especially when they have been around for several years now.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I really don't understand how they could have such a huge design flaw. Especially when they have been around for several years now.
I'm doing a bit of checking... another site has info that system shuts down after 10 minutes or so, after one exits vehicle and closes door.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OK, here's the results...ignition off, doors closed with drivers window down....
After right at 10 minutes after exiting the Ranger, the system goes dead, IF you are reaching in thru the drivers window to hit the button. It's off.
But, the second you open a door, interior lights come on, and system goes active, hit the button and door opens.
So, it appears that if your truck is parked outside with window down, someone can't just reach in and operate the Homelink...but if they simply open the door the system goes on.
Stupid system !!!
Wife's 2018 Subi Outback took almost 13 minutes, but same thing happened.
Stupid design to have it go active when door is simply opened without ignition on.

Last edited:

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Lastly, is the included Ford Step Rail really needed? I read that some said it was a complete joke and utterly useless?
Depends if you think you need them. I’ve had trucks with and without and prefer without. I’m 6’1” and mostly legs so I don’t need them and all they’re good for is getting my pants dirty in the winter. This truck does not have them which was a selling point for me.

CF6-mech

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger 4x4
Occupation
aircraft mechanic
I have a garage door opener smaller than my key fob and would not program home link if I had it. My old Acura was similar and if I had to park outside overnight I had to erase home link and the reprogram when I could park inside again.

BlackRanger01

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Cab 4x4
Occupation
IT
I'm considering purchasing a used 2020 Ranger XLT and I discovered from you kind folks that the following is true:
1) Heated Mirrors are not available until Lariat. <- this has me considering a 2019 Lariat model
2) Homelink not available on the XLT <- see above or I can add it for $500 or use my phone as a solution as it's available with my garage door / remote

Those are the two issues I have with the above. My other dilemma is the truck has a few scratches that have been touched up and I'm not sure I can live with considering 30K+ is still 30K+.

Lastly, is the included Ford Step Rail really needed? I read that some said it was a complete joke and utterly useless?
I was looking for a used F-150 for a couple months before I decided on new Ranger. I couldn't find ONE F-150 without a dent or scratches or rusts.

OP
OP

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I found this lady 2020 lariat

The new owner (I’m second) sticker states it had mud flap included but I don’t see them on it?
0231A68C-865B-4011-9526-A44AD0530906.jpeg

Optional included:
Splash Guards/Mud Flaps FR/RR for $130

Last edited:

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I found this lady 2020 lariat

The new owner (I’m second) sticker states it had mud flap included but I don’t see them on it?
0231A68C-865B-4011-9526-A44AD0530906.jpeg

Optional included:
Splash Guards/Mud Flaps FR/RR for $130
Either the dealer forgot to put them on or the PO didn't like them and took them off.
My window sticker shows the step bars but the truck didn't have them. As mentioned, I don't like them anyway. It does have the $130 mud flaps. I got my 2020 slightly used also with 5000 miles.

OP
OP

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I assume the previous owner didn't like them because he decked out the bedliner with carpet and AMP research side rails and etc. Any reason you can think other than appearance?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I assume the previous owner didn't like them because he decked out the bedliner with carpet and AMP research side rails and etc. Any reason you can think other than appearance?
I know I don't like them because when you're off road they will hang up on rocks or trees and break off. Maybe the past owner was off road either camping or going to hiking trials and had that happen?

chuck s

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger lariat
Occupation
self employed
You should be just fine. Several member posts in the towing section where some are towing upwards of 7000 lbs.
Our planned upcoming travel trailer will be in the 6000 to 6500 lbs and we're not concerned at all.
just a heads up, gcvwr on my ranger is around 12,200, vehicle empty is around 4400 pounds.. leaves 7800 pounds... no gas, no people nothing. to tow safely and not destroy your vehicle, you should deduct at least 15% from gross combined vehicle weight of 12,200 which is 1,830..leaves a safe gcvwr of 10,370..... now subtract empty truck weight of 4400 pounds is 5970... subtract weight of people, gear, fuel, propane and batteries from that.. whats left would be dry weight of trailer.. i personally would stay as close to 5000 pounds on a trailer as possible.. maxing out weight can burn out tranny, make it difficult to stop in time and make it hard to climb and inclines... just my advice, do what you will.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
just a heads up, gcvwr on my ranger is around 12,200, vehicle empty is around 4400 pounds.. leaves 7800 pounds... no gas, no people nothing. to tow safely and not destroy your vehicle, you should deduct at least 15% from gross combined vehicle weight of 12,200 which is 1,830..leaves a safe gcvwr of 10,370..... now subtract empty truck weight of 4400 pounds is 5970... subtract weight of people, gear, fuel, propane and batteries from that.. whats left would be dry weight of trailer.. i personally would stay as close to 5000 pounds on a trailer as possible.. maxing out weight can burn out tranny, make it difficult to stop in time and make it hard to climb and inclines... just my advice, do what you will.
Veh weight is around 4400 lbs. GCVWR is 12, 400....deduct 4400 and that leaves 8000. Deduct 2 people, 2 small dogs, full take of gas, some odds n ends in bed, call it 750 lbs. Leaves 7250. Deduct, in my case, about 650 lbs for the tongue weight, and now your at about 6600 lbs for the trailer.
And, where did you get the figure of deducting 15 % "to tow safely" ??? Is that just a ### that you are comfortable with ? If your referring to a tongue weight of about 15 %, you don't deduct it, it becomes part of the trucks carrying payload.
If your truck is properly set up, and trailer is properly set up, there is no need to "just pick a number" like 15 % to tow safely. Have towed for many many years, and I have never read, or heard of deducting 15 % to tow safely.
Sponsored

Last edited: