Due Dililgence

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I'm considering purchasing a used 2020 Ranger XLT and I discovered from you kind folks that the following is true:
1) Heated Mirrors are not available until Lariat. <- this has me considering a 2019 Lariat model
2) Homelink not available on the XLT <- see above or I can add it for $500 or use my phone as a solution as it's available with my garage door / remote

Those are the two issues I have with the above. My other dilemma is the truck has a few scratches that have been touched up and I'm not sure I can live with considering 30K+ is still 30K+.

Lastly, is the included Ford Step Rail really needed? I read that some said it was a complete joke and utterly useless?
Sponsored

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I'm considering purchasing a used 2020 Ranger XLT and I discovered from you kind folks that the following is true:
1) Heated Mirrors are not available until Lariat. <- this has me considering a 2019 Lariat model
2) Homelink not available on the XLT <- see above or I can add it for $500 or use my phone as a solution as it's available with my garage door / remote

Those are the two issues I have with the above. My other dilemma is the truck has a few scratches that have been touched up and I'm not sure I can live with considering 30K+ is still 30K+.

Lastly, is the included Ford Step Rail really needed? I read that some said it was a complete joke and utterly useless?
Can't speak to the first 2, but the step is a bit of a joke, but is also usable, particularly for short folks. It also helps protect the doors from idiot parking lot door swingers. The steps do help with keeping the seats from getting mashed from getting in and out, if you can train yourself to use them. I use them about half the time getting in.

OP
OP

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I meant to also ask, does the 5 bed with towing capacity 2WD still hold true to 7500LB towing capacity? I've read on a few sites that led me to believe you had to get the 6 bed to reach the 7,500 towing capacity which I can't believe is true.

bbenea

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 19 Lariat and I have yet to use the heated mirrors but my girl lives indoors and here in NC icing conditions are pretty rare. I do utilize the homelink but just for the garage door opener. As to the running boards I find them useful but I'm vertically challenged as is my wife. All Rangers with the towing package can tow 7500. What you have to look out for is gross vehicle weight. If you load the cab and the bed then slap 750 pounds more tongue weight on the back you will be over gross. You can fill the truck or tow 7500 not both.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
As for the step bars, it's a matter of preference and need.
For me the need is there...bad knees due to arthritis, so they do assist me. And, wife is vertically challenged, and the steps really help her.

OP
OP

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I have a 19 Lariat and I have yet to use the heated mirrors but my girl lives indoors and here in NC icing conditions are pretty rare. I do utilize the homelink but just for the garage door opener. As to the running boards I find them useful but I'm vertically challenged as is my wife. All Rangers with the towing package can tow 7500. What you have to look out for is gross vehicle weight. If you load the cab and the bed then slap 750 pounds more tongue weight on the back you will be over gross. You can fill the truck or tow 7500 not both.
My plan is to get an alum trailer (1500#) trailer the gt350 plus 4 extra wheels on the trailer (3800+240) to the tracks. I'm supposedly at 5,300. I'll add the EBC to the Ranger to leverage the trailer brakes and for safety reasons as well. I will probably have 5,540 to tow. I'll have maybe 200 lbs max of gear in the bed of the truck. I should be good, right?

bbenea

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
My plan is to get an alum trailer (1500#) trailer the gt350 plus 4 extra wheels on the trailer (3800+240) to the tracks. I'm supposedly at 5,300. I'll add the EBC to the Ranger to leverage the trailer brakes and for safety reasons as well. I will probably have 5,540 to tow. I'll have maybe 200 lbs max of gear in the bed of the truck. I should be good, right?
Sounds like you shouldn't have any problems, I tow a 2K steel flatbed with a john deere 3025 on it with implements attached and it weighs in at 5951 and tows just fine. You will definitely need TBC with that heavy of a trailer.

Billho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX 2wd SuperCab, 2002 GMC Sierra

a remote garage door opener is a cheap alternative. I wish I had Homelink, but not having it is not a big deal. I don't know if a phone is a good alternative- I have that option, too, but it seems too slow (have to stop at top of the driveway, pull up app, wait for it to connect, then open compared to just hitting the button without stopping until I am in the garage)

I have aftermarket nerf bars on my un-lifted 2wd. I'm 5'9" and have found them useful to step on as I'm getting in. Maybe I'm just old, but I like to use them.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
You should be just fine. Several member posts in the towing section where some are towing upwards of 7000 lbs.
Our planned upcoming travel trailer will be in the 6000 to 6500 lbs and we're not concerned at all.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering

I live in New England and so far the heated mirrors have been unnecessary. I’m in an XLT 301A so have bliss and folding. Works for me!

Homelink can be added aftermarket for about $160 for version 5. Or locate a lariat visor in junk yard if that spins your prop better.

Side rails… I watched a woman whip her door open and smash my bar. Left a circular dent in her door edge that was huge. My truck had zero damage. They also work great for kicking mud and snow off your feet before closing the door.

Personally, I like to keep it simple as there is less to break!

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
To avoid regret and trying to accesorize or modify to what was available as OEM, get the highest trim level and most features you can afford. The end result will generally be a more reliable functional fully integrated and featured vehicle with less hassle.

There are countless posts here from people trying to upgrade with what was available as OEM. Look more closely and reasonably at ROI.

stereo
seats
mirrors
lighting [led,fog,puddle,ect]
towing
electronic safets features-sensors
Ect

And regarding steps.. Im 5-9 and fit...and use step bars on my Tremor every time I get in. My original thought was remove them. Stepping on with left foot then in is super smooth. Otherwise the seat is so high the edge will get deep compression on every entry by butt drag..haha. test it...

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Only you can decide if the steps are useless or not. For me it's not useless. I am short and have bad knees, so for me its very useful. Especially since my truck is slightly lifted.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I meant to also ask, does the 5 bed with towing capacity 2WD still hold true to 7500LB towing capacity? I've read on a few sites that led me to believe you had to get the 6 bed to reach the 7,500 towing capacity which I can't believe is true.
That's why the front end is so much lower than the rear end. If you level it up, you lose some of that towing capacity although I do not know how much.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Can't speak to the first 2, but the step is a bit of a joke, but is also usable, particularly for short folks. It also helps protect the doors from idiot parking lot door swingers. The steps do help with keeping the seats from getting mashed from getting in and out, if you can train yourself to use them. I use them about half the time getting in.
I never used Homelink on my other vehicles when they got parked outside because somebody could just break a side window without setting off the alarm and reach in and open your garage door and then come in and steal your wife and dog. I would really miss my dog if that happens! With the portable remote opener you can carry it inside with you or hide it in a spot like underneath the dash and just reach in and use it so that if somebody broke in your vehicle they would never find it because they would not be looking for it anywhere else other than the visor or in the console. That's just my opinion.

DeliriousD

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Retired
That's why the front end is so much lower than the rear end. If you level it up, you lose some of that towing capacity although I do not know how much.
P.S. The homelink would be OK if it powered off when you powered off the vehicle so that it could not be used.
Sponsored