First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
To answer your question, no I have not used that specific oil.

Unfortunately threads like this will quickly devolve into who's oil is better, etc, etc, so brace yourself, but I'll still entertain with my $0.02.

I personally think the oil in question is way more expensive than it is worth, at least for vehicles like ours. Any brand name oil (including store names like Supertech or Amazon, etc) that is in the correct viscosity and meets the API SN Plus rating should be more than sufficient for our Rangers, and is typically in the $3 - $5/qt range. The SN Plus oils are supposed to be better for GTDI engines like ours, but I'm not an oil expert, so I couldn't tell you if it really helps, or if it's just marketing ?‍♂

But to each their own, I can't tell anyone else what to do with their own vehicle. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Bigdmag

Bigdmag

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
COTA/L
To answer your question, no I have not used that specific oil.

Unfortunately threads like this will quickly devolve into who's oil is better, etc, etc, so brace yourself, but I'll still entertain with my $0.02.

I personally think the oil in question is way more expensive than it is worth, at least for vehicles like ours. Any brand name oil (including store names like Supertech or Amazon, etc) that is in the correct viscosity and meets the API SN Plus rating should be more than sufficient for our Rangers, and is typically in the $3 - $5/qt range. The SN Plus oils are supposed to be better for GTDI engines like ours, but I'm not an oil expert, so I couldn't tell you if it really helps, or if it's just marketing ?‍♂

But to each their own, I can't tell anyone else what to do with their own vehicle. :thumbsup:
Wish there was some real data on some of these oils for GDI engines. Mostly just because Im a curious guy, I realize that the difference between one oil and the other is, in most cases statistically insignificant. I read the following from an interview with someone at Driven and it just peaked my interest :

“It is hypothesized that Calcium and Sodium detergents chemically react with the fuel to create a third chemical that is neither fuel nor motor oil. This third chemical has a lower octane value than either the fuel or the motor oil, so the detonation resistance is lower,” Lake said. “Because of the lower detonation resistance of this ‘blended’ molecule, abnormal combustion results, which we call Low Speed Pre-Ignition. This was proven-out by blending oil formulas that eliminated Sodium detergents and greatly reduced Calcium detergents. These research formulas also eliminated LSPI events.”

Im sure there has been some adjustments to synthetic oils over the last few years to account for GDI engines. But Ive never heard of Driven oil before so I am now curious if there is a difference between Synthetic oil and GDI synthetic oil.

It looks as if us Ranger owners use an oil with a higher Calcium and/or Sodium level, that we may be run into some problems down the road?

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
You can waste the rest of your night reading bob is the oil guy if you really want to know more. Short answer is, just look for SN Plus. All new Motorcraft oil will be SN Plus, but I still check every bottle to make sure I didn’t get a rogue bottle floating around in the supply chain.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
While this particular brand is not, A large percentage of major oil brands available on the market in the US are produced by Warren Distribution. As @dmeyer302 stated anything rated SN Plus, Resource Conserving and/or Dexos1 Gen2 will be the best available for GDI engines. This includes brands like Mobile 1 and even Amazon Basics Full Synthetic as they are blended to meet/exceed these standards.

https://engineoil.api.org/Directory/EolcsResultsDetail?accountId=-1&companyId=10297

https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html

So if given a choice between paying $14.00 a qt for oil vs $3-4.00 a qt for oil that has meets the exact same specifications... I'll pick the $3-4.00/qt. oil and save myself $60+ per oil change.

And @Bigdmag youy can fin articles on the difference in oils available in the US vs the EU and use in GDI engines here. There's also information on why the EU GDI engines don't suffer the same issues they did here, until recently at least.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/oil-catch-can-yes-or-no.1753/page-23#post-127958
Sponsored