Do these tire sizes exist?

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
As already discussed I am on RTR wheels (0+ offset) on 3" front and 1" rear and I currently have no bars.

I think 255's would be a simple drop in, if I stay with 285's like I have now I may have to trim back some fender lining.
You should be just fine running 315's then no issue, sounds like your setup is similar to mine
Sponsored

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
As already discussed I am on RTR wheels (0+ offset) on 3" front and 1" rear and I currently have no bars.

I think 255's would be a simple drop in, if I stay with 285's like I have now I may have to trim back some fender lining.
Also just an fyi since you are being snarky you did not mention the type of wheels or your offset

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, its a little more than just height advantage. In a nut shell, wide is for flotation and skinny is for maximum contact patch pressure.

I don't mud and I don't live in a snowy area.
What scenarios are there where you want more ground pressure that would be disadvantageous for just about any scenario, hence why tanks have treads and heavy military vehicles have multiple sets of and or large wide tires. And a smaller contact patch means less friction and thus less grip there is a reason high performance vehicles have wide tires

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Well I'm 3" in the front with no bars and 1" blocks in the rear, I think minor trimming for 35's in 255 will work? Hell maybe no trimming at all in 255's?

Would be awesome to get another 2+ in height off just rubber.
I'm at 2 1/2" front, â…ť" rear, on factory Magnetics with crash bars fully intact. Judging by my 255s I think you can fit them without exta trimming, although the offset of those RTRs might prove me wrong.
Pizza cutters are dumb if we are being honest sure they can increase your clearance in a vacuum but in reality the increased ground pressure and lack of contact patch will screw you over more than the benefits you would get from being slightly higher. If you are going offroad big and wide are your best friends just look at the sherp that things tires are so fat it cant even turn without tank steering yet it will quite literally get through anything I have yet to see anyone get one stuck
When deflated pizza cutters provide a larger contact patch due to the extra sidewall.

That Sherp is made for floatation. I don't have a need for that whatsoever. All of my wheeling is in the west, no mud in sight. And if the snow is THAT deep, I'm staying home.
Yea, its a little more than just height advantage. In a nut shell, wide is for flotation and skinny is for maximum contact patch pressure.

I don't mud and I don't live in a snowy area.
This

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Ok let me just give my experience with Mickey Thompson’s, great tire for a Baja run but trying to keep them balanced after 2000 miles was impossible for me that was on my F150. After 5 rebalance and 15000 miles, no thank you..

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
255/90/17 all terrain

or

285/80/17 all terrain
This site has a lot of tire math and information to use. Tire comparrisons, off-set comparisons, etc. When using the tire comparison option, it will list which tires are available in that size. It may not be absolute, but it's been pretty good for the years I've been using it. It says there are none in 255/90-17

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
When deflated pizza cutters provide a larger contact patch due to the extra sidewall.
I don't want to say this is wrong, but it definitely needs clarification to support it and photos of various pressures would be prudent. Interested to hear your thoughts on it.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
I've seen 285/80/17 before in the past.. not sure about now a days.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I don't want to say this is wrong, but it definitely needs clarification to support it and photos of various pressures would be prudent. Interested to hear your thoughts on it.
It's a debate that's been going on for decades. Almost like Coke/Pepsi or Ford/Chevy.

The difference really comes into play when comparing wheel/tire combos that have different sized wheels. Like a wide tired 17" or 18" vs a skinny tired 15" or 16".

Proponents of the pizza cutters will point out that when aired down the contact patch is increased mostly by length in comparison to width.

And then you have the contact pressure argument for road manners and ice performance as well. It really is a complicated subject and I think for most it comes down to an aesthetic choice.

For me, on a rig that does double duty as a daily driver, the skinnies do the trick. Plus I like to do things different sometimes.

I would like to look at aftermarket wheels at some point though. An offset change yo fill the wheel wells a bit more would look nice. But I'm close to the bars now from diameter alone, and I don't want to get rid of them. I would consider a set of the aftermarket bars possibly.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
It's a debate that's been going on for decades. Almost like Coke/Pepsi or Ford/Chevy.

The difference really comes into play when comparing wheel/tire combos that have different sized wheels. Like a wide tired 17" or 18" vs a skinny tired 15" or 16".

Proponents of the pizza cutters will point out that when aired down the contact patch is increased mostly by length in comparison to width.

And then you have the contact pressure argument for road manners and ice performance as well. It really is a complicated subject and I think for most it comes down to an aesthetic choice.

For me, on a rig that does double duty as a daily driver, the skinnies do the trick. Plus I like to do things different sometimes.

I would like to look at aftermarket wheels at some point though. An offset change yo fill the wheel wells a bit more would look nice. But I'm close to the bars now from diameter alone, and I don't want to get rid of them. I would consider a set of the aftermarket bars possibly.
Differing circumference and tread width are a different topic.

Given a 255x33 on a 16" rim vs a 255x33 on an 18" rim will have almost immeasurably small difference in contact patch at similar pressures. In the extreme, you may be able to get a few pounds less pressure in the 16, but very limited if any measurable difference.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
And a smaller contact patch means less friction and thus less grip there is a reason high performance vehicles have wide tires
That's correct. However, the contact patch of high-performance tires is wider than it is longer. It is to provide maximum lateral grip as compared to forwarding grip. Tall tires are not used because they don't handle well for a variety of reasons.

However, dragsters run very tall tires that look relatively narrow compared to the height. The air pressures are run extremely low in order to create a very long contact patch that aids in forward acceleration. They obviously do not hold a corner well.

The offroaders who run tall skinnies prefer the long narrow contact patch for similar reasons. When aired down, it can provide adequate flotation where necessary and good forward grip. It really does come down to preference.

I learned a lesson long ago when I used to frequent the beaches of San Felipe, Mexico. Americans would get stuck on the beach with their 4x4s and aggressive offroad tires that were not aired down enough. The locals would pull them out with an old Chevy or Ford 4x2. They were running tall semi-bald tires that weren't that wide and were aired down to provide a long contact patch. I never saw a local stuck in the sand.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
That's correct. However, the contact patch of high-performance tires is wider than it is longer. It is to provide maximum lateral grip as compared to forwarding grip. Tall tires are not used because they don't handle well for a variety of reasons.

However, dragsters run very tall tires that look relatively narrow compared to the height. The air pressures are run extremely low in order to create a very long contact patch that aids in forward acceleration. They obviously do not hold a corner well.

The offroaders who run tall skinnies prefer the long narrow contact patch for similar reasons. When aired down, it can provide adequate flotation where necessary and good forward grip. It really does come down to preference.

I learned a lesson long ago when I used to frequent the beaches of San Felipe, Mexico. Americans would get stuck on the beach with their 4x4s and aggressive offroad tires that were not aired down enough. The locals would pull them out with an old Chevy or Ford 4x2. They were running tall semi-bald tires that weren't that wide and were aired down to provide a long contact patch. I never saw a local stuck in the sand.
There are a lot of other factors for high performance unsprung weight rigidity etc but one thing that will never change is that bigger and wider is better and an Aired down 35 x12.5 will go a lot further than an Aires down skinny one

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
There are a lot of other factors for high performance unsprung weight rigidity etc but one thing that will never change is that bigger and wider is better and an Aired down 35 x12.5 will go a lot further than an Aires down skinny one

And being aired down isn’t really the matter at hand regardless of what type of tire it is if it’s at the wrong pressure it won’t perform well but for any type of off-roading if you wanna go far you go tall and you go fat. Tell you what let’s do it scientifically op can get his pizza cutters and I’ll have my tires we both air down to say 30 psi and see who gets further on the trails

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Of course. And that is why I stated that people who run tall skinnies achieve adequate (not better) floatation for their purposes when aired down.

There are some circumstances where skinnies perform better, but a tall and wide tire tends to be a better overall compromise for offroad. No specific tire and size does it all best.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Of course. And that is why I stated that people who run tall skinnies achieve adequate (not better) floatation for their purposes when aired down.

There are some circumstances where skinnies perform better, but a tall and wide tire tends to be a better overall compromise for offroad. No specific tire and size does it all best.
Not trying to be argumentative I’m genuinely curious where would tall and skinny perform better
Sponsored