Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
But y tho?
My only guess is demand.

Even at 255/80 r 17 your choices are limited to only E-rated and relatively few manufacturers.

Unfortunately the trend now is overly wide bro truck tires. So while that MT is a new tire, I wouldn't expect more choices to appear on the market.

It takes a guy who feels perfectly adequate to rock the pizza cutters, and most dudes use their truck to make up for other areas where they are "lacking."

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
My only guess is demand.

Even at 255/80 r 17 your choices are limited to only E-rated and relatively few manufacturers.

Unfortunately the trend now is overly wide bro truck tires. So while that MT is a new tire, I wouldn't expect more choices to appear on the market.

It takes a guy who feels perfectly adequate to rock the pizza cutters, and most dudes use their truck to make up for other areas where they are "lacking."
Yea basically I was looking for 35" tires, but not as wide as my 285 . I really have always liked Toyo tires, but it seems those Mickey's are the only thing out there. That price tag tho...

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Yea basically I was looking for 35" tires, but not as wide as my 285 . I really have always liked Toyo tires, but it seems those Mickey's are the only thing out there.
I went with the Toyo AT3s for the Ranger. First I've ever used them but I've been VERY impressed.

MT makes some really good stuff. I saw those 255/85s after I had gotten my Toyos. If I had the room for 35"s I would've gotten into those MTs for sure.

Personally, I think those MTs on your RTRs would perform, and look, amazing on your truck. If you have the room for 35"s you should jump on them.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Toyo AT3s for the Ranger. First I've ever used them but I've been VERY impressed.

MT makes some really good stuff. I saw those 255/85s after I had gotten my Toyos. If I had the room for 35"s I would've gotten into those MTs for sure.

Personally, I think those MTs on your RTRs would perform, and look, amazing on your truck. If you have the room for 35"s you should jump on them.
Well I'm 3" in the front with no bars and 1" blocks in the rear, I think minor trimming for 35's in 255 will work? Hell maybe no trimming at all in 255's?

Would be awesome to get another 2+ in height off just rubber.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
My only guess is demand.

Pizza cutters are dumb if we are being honest sure they can increase your clearance in a vacuum but in reality the increased ground pressure and lack of contact patch will screw you over more than the benefits you would get from being slightly higher. If you are going offroad big and wide are your best friends just look at the sherp that things tires are so fat it cant even turn without tank steering yet it will quite literally get through anything I have yet to see anyone get one stuck

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Yea basically I was looking for 35" tires, but not as wide as my 285 . I really have always liked Toyo tires, but it seems those Mickey's are the only thing out there. That price tag tho...
so the most important thing is gonna be your offset are you on stock wheels? I am on a 3.5 inch lift and run lt315 70 r17's beautifully both on and off road as you can see idk what the offset is off the bat but just look up bronco sasquatch offset if you are curious

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Well I'm 3" in the front with no bars and 1" blocks in the rear, I think minor trimming for 35's in 255 will work? Hell maybe no trimming at all in 255's?

Would be awesome to get another 2+ in height off just rubber.
The big issue is gonna be the diameter not the width regardless of what width you go if you want 35's you will need to cut or push in the crash bars when I went 35's that was the biggest issue even before trying to turn the actual diameter

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Pizza cutters are dumb if we are being honest sure they can increase your clearance in a vacuum but in reality the increased ground pressure and lack of contact patch will screw you over more than the benefits you would get from being slightly higher. If you are going offroad big and wide are your best friends just look at the sherp that things tires are so fat it cant even turn without tank steering yet it will quite literally get through anything I have yet to see anyone get one stuck

Yea, its a little more than just height advantage. In a nut shell, wide is for flotation and skinny is for maximum contact patch pressure.

I don't mud and I don't live in a snowy area.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
The big issue is gonna be the diameter not the width regardless of what width you go if you want 35's you will need to cut or push in the crash bars when I went 35's that was the biggest issue even before trying to turn the actual diameter
As already discussed I am on RTR wheels (0+ offset) on 3" front and 1" rear and I currently have no bars.

I think 255's would be a simple drop in, if I stay with 285's like I have now I may have to trim back some fender lining.
Sponsored