First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariant FX4
Occupation
Retired
I hit a deer with my 89 STX Ranger many years ago. Luckily it had a factory brush guard and the deer was small. I bought it used and it had those deer whistles mounted in the grill, previous owner must have installed them backwards. :)
Sponsored

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Halloween day at around 6:30 in the morning I was heading to Georgia with a trailer to go pick up a car. Not 20 minutes from home I hit a deer as I was going about 40 mph. Ended up doing almost $10K in damage. Had the repairs done by a Ford dealership and insurance covered it. The front grill, hood, bumper, bumper assembly, driver's side fender, driver's side headlight, turbo intercooler, and basically everything from the core support forward had to be replaced. Took a while to get fixed too since a lot of parts weren't available or in short supply due to COVID. Glad to have my truck back though. While I had a rental car, I also hit a deer with it as well. I think they're aiming for me. Deer everywhere this year!

20201101_132115.jpg

20201101_132125.jpg

20201101_132158.jpg

20201101_132224.jpg
Dang that stinks, but glad you're okay! Could you give some of the deer directions to my treestand tomorrow? Muzzleloader season opens here in Indiana. Took a medium sized doe opening day of firearms season but need another to get us by. Passed up 3 small bucks but won't any longer. Had another doe under my stand 2 weeks ago but too dark to shoot

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
This is NOT the way to go deer hunting.
I beg to differ. Anybody can punch a deer at 100 yds with a rifle. You gave it a sporting chance. Hitting 2 in short order is a triple point tally.
I popped a spike on a motorcycle years ago. He chose to jump into the lane. I hit him as he landed. It was during low light conditions in late October on a road with deer crossing signs. I should have known better.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Along with the bear a moose or elk will definitely leave a mark.:crying:
I was hauling @$$ in a Mustang through the back woods of AZ between Payson and Winslow and drove smack through a herd of elk. Didn't hit a single one and still left an AMAZING mark in my shorts..

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Halloween day at around 6:30 in the morning I was heading to Georgia with a trailer to go pick up a car. Not 20 minutes from home I hit a deer as I was going about 40 mph. Ended up doing almost $10K in damage. Had the repairs done by a Ford dealership and insurance covered it. The front grill, hood, bumper, bumper assembly, driver's side fender, driver's side headlight, turbo intercooler, and basically everything from the core support forward had to be replaced. Took a while to get fixed too since a lot of parts weren't available or in short supply due to COVID. Glad to have my truck back though. While I had a rental car, I also hit a deer with it as well. I think they're aiming for me. Deer everywhere this year!

20201101_132115.jpg

20201101_132125.jpg

20201101_132158.jpg

20201101_132224.jpg
First of all SORRY about your wildlife encounter!
We spent almost a week in Nash for the Turkey Holiday, we drove down in the wife's '20 Hybrid Escape from northern Illinois...I will tell you what we do a decent amount of road trips mostly west, n.w and north and this last trip to TN I have NEVER seen so many dead animals on the side of the highways and county roads. Many of which were so decomposed that it looks like they were lined up waiting to get run over! It would seem you guys might just have to start culling the deer. It would be a good way to feed all the homeless hobos we saw around Nash which was also about the largest amount I had seen in al my trips down there.

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
It's funny, but I've been driving since I was about 10 years old (grew up in the country on a farm so had to learn early), legally driving for 36 years and I've never hit a deer before. Ran over a few possums (or opossums if you want to be correct) in my life but this is my first deer. It's seems like this year there are significantly more deer out and on the roads. I see tons of dead deer on the sides of roads this year than I've ever seen before.
I recently went to Atlanta from Charlotte....we saw at least 15-18 road kill deer going to Atlanta and saw the same number coming home. Some were really big...all doe.

elvis-earl

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Motion picture accountant

20201101_132115.jpg

20201101_132125.jpg

20201101_132158.jpg

20201101_132224.jpg
How'd the deer make out?

OP
OP

bivenspack

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2013 Mini Cooper, 1957 Ford Fairlane 500
Occupation
Reliability, Maintenance, Engineering Manager
Yeah, this year seems to be horrible. I never remember this many deer (dead or alive) in the area. They're everywhere! The deer I hit was a young buck, single spike (which went through the intercooler). Hit him in the hind quarters, broken up pretty badly, both rear legs were pointing in directions they shouldn't have been. Amazingly and unfortunately, he was still alive lying on the side of the road. Put him out of his misery quickly with a single shot to the head. Police didn't say anything about me doing that, but I thought better than letting him suffer.

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
I recently went to Atlanta from Charlotte....we saw at least 15-18 road kill deer going to Atlanta and saw the same number coming home. Some were really big...all doe.
I used to drive in the States a lot. The two States that I saw with the most road kills of deer were Pennsylvania and Michigan. But we saw enough road kills in many States, we stopped driving at night on the Highways and would always call it a day near dusk.

Ironically, where I live, the deer population has been greatly reduced. We figure the wolves and coywolfs have decimated them.

We used to have deer all of the time on our property.

Attachments

Robert Scott

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford, Ranger Supercrew Lariat
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer, retired

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Yeah, this year seems to be horrible. I never remember this many deer (dead or alive) in the area. They're everywhere! The deer I hit was a young buck, single spike (which went through the intercooler). Hit him in the hind quarters, broken up pretty badly, both rear legs were pointing in directions they shouldn't have been. Amazingly and unfortunately, he was still alive lying on the side of the road. Put him out of his misery quickly with a single shot to the head. Police didn't say anything about me doing that, but I thought better than letting him suffer.
My dad was cutting hay for an acquaintance once and severely injured a deer that was hiding in the tall grass. He was carrying a pistol (my dad, not the deer), so he was able to put the deer out of its misery. He was hesitant to do it however, since the acquaintance was none other than the Sheriff.

But to give you an idea of the sort of guy the Sheriff was, here's a little story: a local homeowner shot and injured an intruder in the middle of the night. Some reporter, no doubt anxious to turn it into a bigger story, asked the Sheriff to talk about the things that the homeowner did wrong. The Sheriff responded that the homeowner waited too long to shoot, he didn't shoot enough times, and should have been using higher quality ammunition.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I would not do this. I live in a pretty rural and redneck area, and people get fined all the time for doing this. I know it feels like right thing to do, and I always pack heat in my cars, but its not worth the potential hassle/headache over a dumb deer IMO. It'll die eventually and something will eat it. Its unfortunate letting it suffer but such is life.

Ive hit a few deer. I only stop to pick up the pieces to make repairs cheaper, then keep rollin. I called to report the first one, never did again, waste of my time. Only phone call I make is to insurance if I have comp on that vehicle.

Just my experiences. Your mileage may vary.

Mpro2

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt