Days In The Desert With My Ranger

OCL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Had a few days off work this Christmas week, so my wife and I drove our Ranger Tremor to the Anza-Borrego Desert of Southern California. Our goal was simple: to get away from all the Christmas crazy crowds of the urban jungle, enjoy driving our Ranger, eat good food.

A few observations of my Ranger out on the open road:
It has ample passing power, even at higher elevation. I needed it a few times that's for sure.
Handles twisty pavement well, but the General Grabber 17" All Terrain Tire do have lower limits to their grip on tarmac. But overall, for such an off road biased truck it did really well. The Sport drive mode is really good on twisty pavement. It holds gears, downshifts to control vehicle speeds, keeps revs up for excellent power out of corners.
The FOX suspension is excellent off road. Great damping!
The Ranger body structure is solid. No rattling noises even driving over endless washboard surfaces.
The Rokblokz Mud flaps did their job very well! It rained on our second day and drove through some very dirty, sand/clay tracks and the mudflaps did their thing to protect everything behind my wheelwells!
Rear lockers isn't necessary except on steep, loose, uneven terrain. Even on soft sand it was not necessary. "Sand" terrain mode was nice to have.

Finally. No people. Just us, the open desert, and our Ranger. So nice.
51770957608_32c7f4bdd9_b.jpg
Untitled by rogue_biker, on Flickr

We drove on a desert wash for miles to reach a spot called "Font's Point". Nothing challenging for the Ranger. But the views at the end was spectacular. Note the few people standing at the edge of the cliff at the upper righthand corner.
51770737856_f6ebca1696_b.jpg
Font’s Point by rogue_biker, on Flickr

We found another canyon nearby. It was so desolate. We loved it! We brought along some hot coffee and enjoyed the nothing all around us.
51769897317_3cb58bb98f_b.jpg
The perfect place for coffee by rogue_biker, on Flickr

Ok we were not completely alone. There was this interloper Discovery hanging around this abandoned shack.
51770738261_0113887523_b.jpg
Vacation Home by rogue_biker, on Flickr

We also found a dry lake which was used as a WW2 air field training area.
51770722976_0c02f81149_b.jpg
Clark Dry Lake by rogue_biker, on Flickr

Have to remember not to drive near these things. This is a California Barrel Cactus. Plenty of them around.
51771603160_f36ccaf908_b.jpg
Prickly! by rogue_biker, on Flickr

The rain began to fall and it was quickly time for us to retreat to the nearby town. Just in time too because the rain came down heavy, and the desert is known for Flash Floods. We did get the warnings to get the hell out of Dodge, so we did.
Sponsored

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
The desert is a beautiful place in the wintertime. Particularly during sunrises and sunsets. I drove some trails that took me down into Azna Borrego from the mountains on my first offroad trip to check out what the Ranger can do. I definitely need to do more exploring there.

OP
OP

OCL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
The Anza-Borrego is one of the largest desert parks in the area. Not as large as Death Valley, but very close. It also has a lot of OHV areas and trails. I love it there. I honestly love deserts in general no matter where it is.

I plan to return there this weekend. There will surely be more folks there on New Year's weekend. But if I time it right I should avoid most of the toy haulers and their toys.

OP
OP

OCL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Do you have to get a special permit to go off road in California?

Thanks,
I believe that you need a special permit in the Glamis OHV area. Often referred to as the Imperial Sand Dunes. Glamis is in the same desert as the Anza-Borrego.

Otherwise, no permit required most anywhere else. Some areas are protected and obviously strictly regulated against vehicle use. Most areas are not though. Large desert areas are managed by the Bureau of Land Management, the California State Park system, or the Federal government's National Park system. Often enough you basically just drive wherever you can, although I won't do that for my own safety, the wellbeing of my vehicle, as well as it's pointless because there's better scenery where you are designated to drive on. I also don't want to be THAT GUY on the news who screwed up some natural area! Finally, there's so many designated trails in the California deserts that are wide open for exploration. There's just no need to just "drive anywhere" even if you can. One little mishap in the open desert and you could be screwed. At least on trails you have a higher chance of getting help.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Had a few days off work this Christmas week, so my wife and I drove our Ranger Tremor to the Anza-Borrego Desert of Southern California. Our goal was simple: to get away from all the Christmas crazy crowds of the urban jungle, enjoy driving our Ranger, eat good food.

A few observations of my Ranger out on the open road:
It has ample passing power, even at higher elevation. I needed it a few times that's for sure.
Handles twisty pavement well, but the General Grabber 17" All Terrain Tire do have lower limits to their grip on tarmac. But overall, for such an off road biased truck it did really well. The Sport drive mode is really good on twisty pavement. It holds gears, downshifts to control vehicle speeds, keeps revs up for excellent power out of corners.
The FOX suspension is excellent off road. Great damping!
The Ranger body structure is solid. No rattling noises even driving over endless washboard surfaces.
The Rokblokz Mud flaps did their job very well! It rained on our second day and drove through some very dirty, sand/clay tracks and the mudflaps did their thing to protect everything behind my wheelwells!
Rear lockers isn't necessary except on steep, loose, uneven terrain. Even on soft sand it was not necessary. "Sand" terrain mode was nice to have.

Finally. No people. Just us, the open desert, and our Ranger. So nice.
51770957608_32c7f4bdd9_b.jpg
Untitled by rogue_biker, on Flickr

We drove on a desert wash for miles to reach a spot called "Font's Point". Nothing challenging for the Ranger. But the views at the end was spectacular. Note the few people standing at the edge of the cliff at the upper righthand corner.
51770737856_f6ebca1696_b.jpg
Font’s Point by rogue_biker, on Flickr

We found another canyon nearby. It was so desolate. We loved it! We brought along some hot coffee and enjoyed the nothing all around us.
51769897317_3cb58bb98f_b.jpg
The perfect place for coffee by rogue_biker, on Flickr

Ok we were not completely alone. There was this interloper Discovery hanging around this abandoned shack.
51770738261_0113887523_b.jpg
Vacation Home by rogue_biker, on Flickr

We also found a dry lake which was used as a WW2 air field training area.
51770722976_0c02f81149_b.jpg
Clark Dry Lake by rogue_biker, on Flickr

Have to remember not to drive near these things. This is a California Barrel Cactus. Plenty of them around.
51771603160_f36ccaf908_b.jpg
Prickly! by rogue_biker, on Flickr

The rain began to fall and it was quickly time for us to retreat to the nearby town. Just in time too because the rain came down heavy, and the desert is known for Flash Floods. We did get the warnings to get the hell out of Dodge, so we did.
I'm so jealous... :p ?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a great trip to the desert. You’re so right about the Fox damping - it gets top marks from me as well.

Man, I sure I miss the desert - had a vacation place in AZ for a while- since sold but hope to get back again one day. Your pics and those from Steve (@IdahoRanger ) make me miss it that much more.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red

Thanks,
The Anza Borrego State Park is unique in the fact that you can only enter and drive on most trails with a licensed vehicle. Unlicensed and offroad-only vehicles are not allowed in most areas. Additionally, many of the trails require that you stay on the road.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Yeah heading out to tea kettle junction on Thursday in Death Valley just because… stock 21 lariat FX4. It will tell me if I really need anything or just want something. Should be fun!!!

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
I wonder if the jets still run Father Crowley point?? Awesome sight if you’ve ever seen it!!!

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military

Thanks,
You have to register and understand that going offroad may cause cancer.

OP
OP

OCL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Yeah heading out to tea kettle junction on Thursday in Death Valley just because… stock 21 lariat FX4. It will tell me if I really need anything or just want something. Should be fun!!!
Your FX4 will make it to Tea Kettle on 2WD. LOL! I saw a Minivan go all the way to the Racetrack Playa once. Also saw another damn minivan on the trail to Eureka Dunes, as well as other rough dirt roads in DV. I have no idea how many flat tires they got afterwards though. The park is so well managed as far as the most popular attractions go. Lots of dirt roads for sure but many can be accessed with just 2WD, high clearance vehicles. The most challenging ones are usually just used by rock crawlers in small groups of vehicles for obvious reason.
Sponsored