First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The officer messed up so badly, violating some of the most basic concepts of defensive tactics, that a lot of law enforcement are sympathizing with the outrage.

For the first time there's significant common ground, and with different national State leadership this could have been a turning point.
While I agree on the first part I had to fix the second for you. We had different national leadership during the Ferguson and Baltimore riots,same outcome!

Like Harry said above,it starts with the unions. This A'hole cop should've been gone years ago!
Sponsored

LIMITY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
While I agree on the first part I had to fix the second for you. We had different national leadership during the Ferguson and Baltimore riots,same outcome!

Like Harry said above,it starts with the unions. This A'hole cop should've been gone years ago!
I'm specifically referring to taking advantage of this common ground we have in this specific instant. You have sheriffs and police chiefs doing that at the ground level, but a national effort could really yield something good and positive.

Unite the system and the protesters, excluding the opportunistic looters.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm specifically referring to taking advantage of this common ground we have in this specific instant. You have sheriffs and police chiefs doing that at the ground level, but a national effort could really yield something good and positive.

Yes I agree but most of these looters/riots continued because the ones at state level allowed it to. It's to bad because the whole country was behind George Floyd until all this crap happened. Not that they're still not behind him but it now takes a back seat because of all this destruction. Should've been stopped on day 1.

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase

The problem is that elections have consequences. Law Enforcement at the local level should be managed at the local level. Politicians never want to take responsibility, so local politicians will blame national politicians. I, for one do not want my local police department governed at the national level. Most power (politically) should be at the local level, most people are not taught that this is how our form of government is setup. The Federal government should only be involved at the national level and never at the local level. We have to choose our local politicians more carefully.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
So I was wondering, The Stand Your Ground law in Florida, does that apply to business owners, standing on their business property and protecting their business? If not it should.
That would certainly be my defense, in that situation. One of the few rights we also have here in Pa, but that story is for a different day.

LIMITY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
The problem is that elections have consequences. Law Enforcement at the local level should be managed at the local level. Politicians never want to take responsibility, so local politicians will blame national politicians. I, for one do not want my local police department governed at the national level. Most power (politically) should be at the local level, most people are not taught that this is how our form of government is setup. The Federal government should only be involved at the national level and never at the local level. We have to choose our local politicians more carefully.
I never said anything about federal direction or oversight over law enforcement. Consent decrees and centralized decision making are the death of law enforcement and corrections.

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I never said anything about federal direction or oversight over law enforcement. Consent decrees and centralized decision making are the death of law enforcement and corrections.
I am not trying to force any ill will here, but you did say a national effort. The police problems are a local issue and not a national issue. If you look where there are complaints of police problems, it may amaze you that it is issues with how the police unions have negotiated contracts that limit how bad police officers are handled. Those contracts are not negotiated at the national level.

LIMITY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I am not trying to force any ill will here, but you did say a national effort. The police problems are a local issue and not a national issue. If you look where there are complaints of police problems, it may amaze you that it is issues with how the police unions have negotiated contracts that limit how bad police officers are handled. Those contracts are not negotiated at the national level.
That I did, let me clarify. Not any kind of federal level intervention. Something more akin to Obama's beer summit, just on a larger scale and more visible. The president could act as moderator, bringing these two sides together for a discussion over the common ground of the Floyd outrage.

Specific to your point about unions, you're right I have little experience with the negative side of police unions. My first eight years in corrections, I worked for the DOC in a right to work state, and only the last three years have I worked in a union heavy state.
Sponsored