Crazy Owl story

ParkerAzJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ranger 2019 Ranger
So Monday morning about 5:30 a.m. I was sitting on my back porch I heard a couple of bangs and a scratching sound to my right where my carport is located. Picture my boat on the right, new Saber Ranger in the middle & my gray 94 on the left. As I heard the sounds I looked and saw a HUGE Owl on my Gray Ranger. We met eyes for a few seconds then he flew away. A few minutes later I looked at the roof of my Saber Ranger & saw wing marks on it. Grabbed a tape measure and was able to get an 18" measurement for one of the wings. I'm estimating it had a wingspan of 40-42 inches. Needless to say it was quite an interesting morning.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So Monday morning about 5:30 a.m. I was sitting on my back porch I heard a couple of bangs and a scratching sound to my right where my carport is located. Picture my boat on the right, new Saber Ranger in the middle & my gray 94 on the left. As I heard the sounds I looked and saw a HUGE Owl on my Gray Ranger. We met eyes for a few seconds then he flew away. A few minutes later I looked at the roof of my Saber Ranger & saw wing marks on it. Grabbed a tape measure and was able to get an 18" measurement for one of the wings. I'm estimating it had a wingspan of 40-42 inches. Needless to say it was quite an interesting morning.
Hi Jeff,

Sounds like a Great Horned Owl. They are huge. We have one here that will fly by on occasion and you can hear the woosh of the Owl's wings....Big Bird!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Some of them can be huge!
Was working at a fuel tank farm once upon a time,and came walking around the side of one that holds just over 1.5 million gallons,and was checking out a rabbit laying kinda low.About the same time an owl came swooping down going for the rabbit I’m guessing,and and I don’t know who scared who the most!!! It was about 1 am,that’ll wake ya up LOL!

OP
OP
ParkerAzJeff

ParkerAzJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ranger 2019 Ranger
We actually see them quite often. We're lucky enough where there's so much wildlife. People would be amazed if they only knew how much life is the desert southwest. You name it, we see it from Deer to woodpeckers and everything in between.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We actually see them quite often. We're lucky enough where there's so much wildlife. People would be amazed if they only knew how much life is the desert southwest. You name it, we see it from Deer to woodpeckers and everything in between.
Hi Jeff,

How is this for a "small" owl?

IMG_6696_1.jpg

IMG_6683_1.jpg

My wife with Clieo, a 5lb Owl....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
ParkerAzJeff

ParkerAzJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ranger 2019 Ranger
I just saw my old Owl buddy on a power line about 100 yards away & saw him swoop down to get his prey.

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Ya, they are nice to have around for their hooting. I had a pair that nested in my tree's for about 3 years in a row then they stopped for a couple years then nested again, it has been a few years now and only one shows up to hoot but never stays to long. I think they are like water fowls are have one partner for life, or I think that is how they mate anyway. Clieo does look larger than mine were. Wow, She lands on your arms , nice. Phil , She acts as if She likes humans. I say , wow again. HHHHHHAaaaaa.
I also have Hawks pairing off and mating in the tree about 30 or 40 feet away and nesting as well. They also land in the tree and seem like they watch me and screech away several times then fly away after I speak loudly to them almost as if they know I am speaking to them and they even shake their heads at me. Ya, sure what a joke.
When I was about 12 or so a sparrow hawk fell out of a tree and I picked it up and fed it for the summer while in a large bird cage I finally let the bird fly away and it hung around a few days then just disappeared.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
We have red tailed hawks in our area, tons hang out on light poles along highway. One morning, I was going for a walk, and found a decapitated young hawk. After research, I found that owls are competition with them for food, and will enter a hawks nest, break eggs and kill the young to move them out of "their" territory. All makes sense now that we've been hearing owls for 3 weeks prior. Decapitating a hawk, no matter the size is bad ass stuff...
Sponsored