OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I need to pick one system to see what I can work with. Cargo light? Interior Light? Running lights? Basically any lighting system that comes on when you press the unlock button and/or open the door.

I want to look into tapping one of these systems to install some running board lights (on the underside for ground light).

Any documents out there that might reveal this info?
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I need to pick one system to see what I can work with. Cargo light? Interior Light? Running lights? Basically any lighting system that comes on when you press the unlock button and/or open the door.

I want to look into tapping one of these systems to install some running board lights (on the underside for ground light).

Hi Jack,

You will be limited by the fuse in the circuit you select and the current draw of what is on that circuit to directly tap into the wiring. Might need a relay system to keep current draw down. Wire gauge also enters the equation for these kind of Mods.

Good luck with your project...

best,
Phil

Rob09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021.25 XLT

When do you want them to turn off? Won't that affect which circuit you use, also?

*Edit - I should note I'm doing a similar thing with bed lighting at the moment. Looking to use the circuit that supplies the factory tray lighting in the rear sports bar. Easy (I hope) to access on the Aus spec XLT (factory bar and lighting) and will only be active during certain events, i.e. -

- When vehicle unlocked - until started.
- When the tray lighting button on the dash is pushed (only with engine off and until battery reaches a certain level).
- For a short (adjustable via dash menu) time after vehicle is locked (welcome home lights).

The circuit you use will depend on when you want them on.

Last edited:

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
I was wondering about why the overhead courtesy light doesn't come on when I open the driver's side door (haven't looked in the manual yet) like my Mountaineer does. Would sure make it easier to put the key in the ignition when it's dark.