Couldn’t start the Ranger

Joe Pacheco

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Went out to breakfast yesterday with the family, when we were leaving the restaurant the Ranger wouldn’t start.

I tried to start it again like I’ve done many a time....foot on brake and so on. Gauges lit up as usual but no start. A “wrench” and “battery” were displayed on the dash on where the seat belt icon is. I tried to start the truck more than a few times and finally popped the hood and tapped on the battery and the Ranger started. we didn’t have any start issues the rest of the day or this morning.
weather was slightly overcast with a temperature of 65 degrees or so. This truck was purchased at the end of September.
Any thoughts they may prevent this again would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Went out to breakfast yesterday with the family, when we were leaving the restaurant the Ranger wouldn’t start.

I tried to start it again like I’ve done many a time....foot on brake and so on. Gauges lit up as usual but no start. A “wrench” and “battery” were displayed on the dash on where the seat belt icon is. I tried to start the truck more than a few times and finally popped the hood and tapped on the battery and the Ranger started. we didn’t have any start issues the rest of the day or this morning.
weather was slightly overcast with a temperature of 65 degrees or so. This truck was purchased at the end of September.
Any thoughts they may prevent this again would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Do not know what was wrong here, but I think tapping on the battery is a clue of a poor connection. At a minimum, I would check all the fasteners for tightness. Better would be to remove the cables from the battery, clean the clamps and the battery poses and reassemble and tighten..

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

Joe Pacheco

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Thank you Phil,
I will take a look at those things because I’m sure the battery is not old enough to be having issues yet.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thank you Phil,
I will take a look at those things because I’m sure the battery is not old enough to be having issues yet.

I wouldn't count on that as I've had brand new batteries die just a couple months after purchase. After doing what Phil suggests I would have it tested just for piece of mind.

BTW are you by any chance related to a Jack Pacheco here in AZ?

OP
OP

Joe Pacheco

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I wouldn't count on that as I've had brand new batteries die just a couple months after purchase. After doing what Phil suggests I would have it tested just for piece of mind.

No relation to Jack.
I will be getting the battery tested.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase