Concerns with the alternator mounting location?

ch57

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBS 7.3, Jeep TJ
I have see a few posts of people talking about alternator concerns and mud. Something about the alternator being mounted low to the ground. Doing a quick search for alternator stuff didn't net the info I was looking for.

So I'm curious what is the deal with the alternator? Has anyone had major issues with it while off road in wet, snowy, muddy, salt heavy areas? Has anyone had a critical failure leaving them stranded? I imagine more threads would pop up if it was a major issue but just noticed the topic today and wanted to investigate before placing an order in case it would be a dealbreaker.
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Good question...I wonder the same thing about anyone having alternator failure during water crossings...

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
no problems yet but now im expecting them... i never really looked to see where the alternator was until i learned of the problems. before that, i was blasting through the shallow spots of the brazos and red river with mine. now im careful even in a rain puddle...idk if they could have found a lower place to mount it. maybe under the transmission and use long cables.

OP
OP

ch57

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBS 7.3, Jeep TJ
no problems yet but now im expecting them... i never really looked to see where the alternator was until i learned of the problems. before that, i was blasting through the shallow spots of the brazos and red river with mine. now im careful even in a rain puddle...idk if they could have found a lower place to mount it. maybe under the transmission and use long cables.
I'm assuming it's just mounted on the bottom of the engine? Shouldn't the FX4 skid protect it?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
the fx4 and tremor skid plate protect it from getting bashed or scraped but not from mud sand or water.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Alternators are cheap, and appear to be in a reasonably easy place to change.
You'll spent more money on a good set of tow straps . Buy a spare, keep it in the back seat.
But is it easy to replace?

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
You'll spent more money on a good set of tow straps . Buy a spare, keep it in the back seat.
The problem is, if you need the spare alternator, you also need the tow straps.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
it might be easy to swap out if we could get them lol. i tried every part store in town a few months ago and no one had them. i was going to put one in my off road kit just in case.

OP
OP

ch57

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBS 7.3, Jeep TJ
No one ever said it was cheap to play....
yeah but with it being mounted low it has me wondering how it will fair for the average person even in winter snow driving conditions. the underside of my current truck gets about a half inch thick film of ice on everything...

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
True and only few will push it to that limit. However, I would not want to change an alternator on a wet, hot, muddy truck on a trail while crawling in the mud or dirt in any season. Ford could of mounted it higher like the global units, or sealed them and water cooled them like on some of the VW and Audi vehicles. But no matter how much we B&tch about it, its not going to change the situation at hand.

Last edited:

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
yeah but with it being mounted low it has me wondering how it will fair for the average person even in winter snow driving conditions. the underside of my current truck gets about a half inch thick film of ice on everything...
No offense but research was so much easier in 2019 before everyone posted every little problem or concern they had. :crazy:
3 yrs and no alternator issues with snow, slush and salt mix. I'm not offroad and probably not going through as much snow as you but unless you are driving through snowbanks or flying through water up to your door sills, I wouldn't worry about it too much. They do test these trucks in winter conditions.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
what I hear is that the main killer is mud and debris killing the alternator. not just water.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Hum. I thought the Ranger was a medium-sized pickup truck, not a mud buggy!

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
This is probably not a concern.

The only failures I'm aware of are after deep mudhole crossings where the alternator was actually submerged.

That said, if I know I'm likely to do a mud crossing (VERY likely in North GA) I will take my Jeep instead. The alternator on it is mounted high in the front/center of the V8.
Sponsored