Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat CC Black FX2 (Wife's), 2017 Rubicon 2d
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
Unsure what happened, but I noticed earlier tonight that my truck is clearly pointed East, but when I'm on the "home" page on my infotainment screen, it thinks it's going North? I cannot find anything about calibrating the compass at all? Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks!
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Unsure what happened, but I noticed earlier tonight that my truck is clearly pointed East, but when I'm on the "home" page on my infotainment screen, it thinks it's going North? I cannot find anything about calibrating the compass at all? Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks!
im not certain but i think the gps system is what tells the direction to the on screen compass. id bet its just a signal loss issue. drive around in a open area for a little bit and i bet it will catch up and point the correct heading.

OP
OP
Mirage775

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat CC Black FX2 (Wife's), 2017 Rubicon 2d
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
im not certain but i think the gps system is what tells the direction to the on screen compass. id bet its just a signal loss issue. drive around in a open area for a little bit and i bet it will catch up and point the correct heading.
Cool, I'll see what it does on the way to work this morning. I usually never look at it, but I did last night, LOL! In my old 2003 Ranger, I did the Explorer compass/temp conversion and I remember you had to find a huge, empty parking lot and drive in big circles 3 or 4 times, before it was calibrated, LOL! I'm glad technology has improved greatly since then! :D

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Maybe it’s a sign and you should follow the truck’s lead. Perhaps fame and fortune awaits somewhere up North.

Ames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Crew Cab 4x4 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Yesterday I was driving home and realized my compass was rotating at a constant speed even though I was driving in a straight line. It did this for at least 10 minutes. When I turned a corner, it worked fine. I searched online and it sounds like several models have random problems with the compass.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
You can always stop and use this method...
Or, if your going upwards, your going north, if your going downwards, your going south
East or West, your going "tother way", either this a way or that a way.

NorthDiagram.jpg

Last edited:

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
You can always stop and use this method...
Or, if your going upwards, your going north, if your going downwards, your going south
East or West, your going "tother way", either this a way or that a way.

NorthDiagram.jpg
Silence . . . as the entire forum runs outside with a stick for 15 minutes.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Cool, I'll see what it does on the way to work this morning. I usually never look at it, but I did last night, LOL! In my old 2003 Ranger, I did the Explorer compass/temp conversion and I remember you had to find a huge, empty parking lot and drive in big circles 3 or 4 times, before it was calibrated, LOL! I'm glad technology has improved greatly since then! :D
Hi Jason,

Yeah....My 2007 MKX had to be calibrated by driving in circles in both clockwise and counterclockwise. I used my Cul-de-sac on which my house sits and someone called the Sheriff's to report a crazy man driving in circles in the Cul-de-sac... Sheriff's Auxiliary showed up and I explained what I was doing...She laughed and said to "don't do that again" joking as it was just fine to drive in circles. I knew who made the call as I saw her in her backyard of the house on the street above ours.

Lady that made the call was quite embarrassed. Sadly, She is no longer with us having died of Covid two years ago...

Best,
Phil
Sponsored