Cleaning/Detailing Recommendations

ElSolo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT, Lightning Blue, FX2 pkg, 301A pkg, Tow pkg.
Hello All,

Looks like I've gotta start preparing to give my LBT ("Little Blue Truck"... I've got a small child at home and if you do too, you know what this is) its first cleaning. I usually took my cars to a brick-and-mortar car wash, but I figure I'd start washing LBT myself to make sure it's done right.

Anyway, looking for specific recommendations for the following:

(1) Best car wash soap?
(2) Best interior trim/dash cleaner/protectant?
(3) Best exterior trim/protectant (e.g. for the XLT door handles and mirrors)?
(4) Best wheel cleaner?
(5) Best trie shine/protectant?
(6) Best glass cleaner?
(7) Anything else y'all find helpful when detailing your trucks?

Thanks!
Sponsored

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hello All,

Looks like I've gotta start preparing to give my LBT ("Little Blue Truck"... I've got a small child at home and if you do too, you know what this is) its first cleaning. I usually took my cars to a brick-and-mortar car wash, but I figure I'd start washing LBT myself to make sure it's done right.

(1) Best car wash soap?
(2) Best interior trim/dash cleaner/protectant? 303 lightly misted onto a microfiber towel, use a dry corner of the towel to buff off any streaks
(3) Best exterior trim/protectant (e.g. for the XLT door handles and mirrors)? Same as #2
(4) Best wheel cleaner?
(6) Best glass cleaner? Sprayway

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hello All,

(1) Best car wash soap?
(4) Best wheel cleaner?
(6) Best glass cleaner?

Thanks!
Hi Rick, I have a post here on all the products I use. I don't know if they're the best but this is what I've used for years and have had great result with all of them.

Here's a good video on how to clean your glass streak free.

hsmith21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Silver FX4 302a
Hello All,

(1) Best car wash soap?
(4) Best wheel cleaner?
(6) Best glass cleaner?

Thanks!
1. I use the chemical guys Mr. Pink. bought the gallon on amazon and seems like it'll last me a lifetime for a good price. I have used Meguirs liquid wax and turtle wax spray n shine with good results for wax after. By far easiest thing is the Turtle Wax ceramic wet wax. Best $12 on amazon ever. Spray on before drying car and gives really good water beading.
I do 2 bucket method with Mr Pink and wash mitt on all exterior surfaces. Then while car is still wet, use TW ceramic wet wax as I dry one panel at a time
2. Interior cleaning: TW dash and glass cleaner with a microfiber. Cleans well, streak-free screens and glass, and smells amazing. I also use TW odor-x for a new car smell under the seats
3. Haven't found one I like but the chemical guys VRP is next on my list to try
4. TW wheel/tire cleaner works great with a tire brush. I use a toilet bowl cleaning brush to get inside the wheel spokes.
5. TW foam and spray tire shine work well. Black Magic and Armor All aren't bad either. The foam doesn't seem to last as long but that may just be me. Make sure to use wheel/tire cleaner before putting shine on
6. Ill use a synthetic clay bar and the Mr Pink on my glass for anything that a normal wash mitt wont get. TW Ceramic Wet Wax on the windshield and windows gives great water beading performance, much better than Rain-X IMO
7. Ive found wheel/tire cleaner with a soft brush works well on my rubber floor mats. To bring back that shine, you can use a small amount of tire shine sprayed onto an applicator. But BEWARE too much tire shine will make the mats too slick. Chemical Guys VRP us supposedly great for this
As I enjoy a good mud session, I use a long brush with wheel/tire cleaner to spray and clean the rear wheel wells and my running boards. I then will use the foam tire shine on the wheel well insides to bring back to dark black look and on my running boards (they're redlined RB10 from Go Rhino so traction isn't an issue)

Hope this helps!

hsmith21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Silver FX4 302a
1. I use the chemical guys Mr. Pink. bought the gallon on amazon and seems like it'll last me a lifetime for a good price. I have used Meguirs liquid wax and turtle wax spray n shine with good results for wax after. By far easiest thing is the Turtle Wax ceramic wet wax. Best $12 on amazon ever. Spray on before drying car and gives really good water beading.
I do 2 bucket method with Mr Pink and wash mitt on all exterior surfaces. Then while car is still wet, use TW ceramic wet wax as I dry one panel at a time
2. Interior cleaning: TW dash and glass cleaner with a microfiber. Cleans well, streak-free screens and glass, and smells amazing. I also use TW odor-x for a new car smell under the seats
3. Haven't found one I like but the chemical guys VRP is next on my list to try
4. TW wheel/tire cleaner works great with a tire brush. I use a toilet bowl cleaning brush to get inside the wheel spokes.
5. TW foam and spray tire shine work well. Black Magic and Armor All aren't bad either. The foam doesn't seem to last as long but that may just be me. Make sure to use wheel/tire cleaner before putting shine on
6. Ill use a synthetic clay bar and the Mr Pink on my glass for anything that a normal wash mitt wont get. TW Ceramic Wet Wax on the windshield and windows gives great water beading performance, much better than Rain-X IMO
7. Ive found wheel/tire cleaner with a soft brush works well on my rubber floor mats. To bring back that shine, you can use a small amount of tire shine sprayed onto an applicator. But BEWARE too much tire shine will make the mats too slick. Chemical Guys VRP us supposedly great for this
As I enjoy a good mud session, I use a long brush with wheel/tire cleaner to spray and clean the rear wheel wells and my running boards. I then will use the foam tire shine on the wheel well insides to bring back to dark black look and on my running boards (they're redlined RB10 from Go Rhino so traction isn't an issue)

Hope this helps!
Before and after using the above method
IMG_9126.jpg
IMG_8897.jpg

Jtholz

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, FX4, Blackout, 501A, Tow Package
Vehicle Showcase
I use all Chemical Guys products. Mostly because they have a ton of how to videos on You Tube. So far, I like everything I have used. I detailed the wife's 2016 Nissan Rouge a couple of weeks ago and it looks like it came off the showrooms floor!! I'm going to do my 2020 Lariat in a week or so. I will be sure to post pics of the before and after. Note: My detail will include wash, clay bar treatment, glaze, jet seal sealant and, wax. This should make "Lil Red" pop!!

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
The first (and I think the most important, IMO) thing to do is the pre-rinse....get as much grit and grime off as you can with a pressure washer. Less chance getting stuff in your sponge when you hand wash. Even dust will scratch paint, and after hearing some folks comment on how "soft" the paint is, even more important.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The first (and I think the most important, IMO) thing to do is the pre-rinse....get as much grit and grime off as you can with a pressure washer. Less chance getting stuff in your sponge when you hand wash. Even dust will scratch paint, and after hearing some folks comment on how "soft" the paint is, even more important.
I learned this the hard way when I was young. I had a black Z28 and didn't pre-rinse it and had to have a friend detail the whole car for me. Lucky I didn't cut through the clear as it wasn't that dirty but I've always pre-rinsed since then.

Jtholz

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, FX4, Blackout, 501A, Tow Package
Vehicle Showcase
I use all Chemical Guys products. Mostly because they have a ton of how to videos on You Tube. So far, I like everything I have used. I detailed the wife's 2016 Nissan Rouge a couple of weeks ago and it looks like it came off the showrooms floor!! I'm going to do my 2020 Lariat in a week or so. I will be sure to post pics of the before and after. Note: My detail will include wash, clay bar treatment, glaze, jet seal sealant and, wax. This should make "Lil Red" pop!!
As promised, here are some before and after pics. The first 4 are before and the last ones are after. The pics may not show it, but the metal flake in the paint really shows up now!!

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1311.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
50/50 vinegar and water + waffle micro fiber is the best window cleaning. Period.

Then clay bar and ceramic coating on windshield is god tier.

Edit: If you dont have a waffle microfiber, regular old crumpled newspaper is next best.
No Joke, try it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
50/50 vinegar and water + waffle micro fiber is the best window cleaning. Period.

Then clay bar and ceramic coating on windshield is god tier.

Edit: If you dont have a waffle microfiber, regular old crumpled newspaper is next best.
No Joke, try it.
I've tried everything over the years (even newspaper) and found this works the best for the windows. Crystal clear finish and no hazing/streaking. Yes,I'm super OCD and hate streaks and especially a hazy windshield.

On the exterior of the windshield I use Optimum Opti-Seal. We don't get much rain here so it will last a good 6+ months. I even use it on my shower glass and SS appliances for smudge marks

Sponsored