First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I read an article from Car and Driver where a tester took an EV home for evaluation. He plugged it in the 110 outlet in the garage an gained 30 miles of range. You only get around 3 miles of range for every hour of charge at the 110 outlet.

Not everyone has the capacity to add a rapid charger. Some people live in condos and apartments with common parking or street parking they may not even have access to a 110 outlet.

How many years before the super charging stations make their way to rural America. I'm not aware of one anywhere around me.
Sponsored

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Homes I lived in all had 200-amp service. Most home charger use 240v 50-amp plugs, either NEMA 6-50 or 14-50, same as an electric dryer or range. And just because it's hooked to a 50-amp circuit, doesn't mean it draws 50 amps.
And I don't know about reduced usage at night, when most are home kicking up the heat or AC, cooking and bathing. Business use is reduced, though so maybe that will even out the power usage.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I read an article from Car and Driver where a tester took an EV home for evaluation. He plugged it in the 110 outlet in the garage an gained 30 miles of range. You only get around 3 miles of range for every hour of charge at the 110 outlet.

Not everyone has the capacity to add a rapid charger. Some people live in condos and apartments with common parking or street parking they may not even have access to a 110 outlet.

How many years before the super charging stations make their way to rural America. I'm not aware of one anywhere around me.
I have seen only 2 charging stations here near Lafayette, LA (not exactly rural). One is a Tesla station; the other is something else in a Walmart parking lot. Both are just of I-10. Never seen a car at either one.
And you are correct about condos and apartments. I think eventually the gub-ment will require property owners install access point for EV charging.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have seen only 2 charging stations here near Lafayette, LA (not exactly rural). One is a Tesla station; the other is something else in a Walmart parking lot. Both are just of I-10. Never seen a car at either one.
And you are correct about condos and apartments. I think eventually the gub-ment will require property owners install access point for EV charging.
There are 2 changing stations at a local walmart but every time I go there there's a non EV parked there because they used the 2 spots closest to the store an there's no legal restriction on the spots.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
There are 2 changing stations at a local walmart but every time I go there there's a non EV parked there because they used the 2 spots closest to the store an there's no legal restriction on the spots.
No restriction to park a non-EV in an EV charge spot? I see a new law coming.
The Tesla station and the other at Walmart both have places for 6 - 8 vehicles and are at the end of the lot, away from entrance to the stores.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No restriction to park a non-EV in an EV charge spot? I see a new law coming.
The Tesla station and the other at Walmart both have places for 6 - 8 vehicles and are at the end of the lot, away from entrance to the stores.
No laws here. I've seen the "green vehicle" signs pop up at libraries an a few Gov lots. If the lots full people take them. The green movement hasn't reached insanity level here yet. There's a few windmills along the lake and an occasional house with solar panels but we aren't outlawing fitting new houses with natural gas hook ups like some places.

BrassSlinger

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Velocity Blue Tremor Lariat,2017 Honda Civic
Occupation
Technician
All these set dates may change when a republican gets back in WH.

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
Nothing wrong with EV concept. Only issues I can see is cost, range, winter and fuel supply.

And by that I mean that 500 mile EV turns into 200 mile EV in Winter and then you have to wait 4 hours to get to the charging station for 2 hour recharge.

It would be beneficial to get some form of on-board generator to EVs to provide that "extra mile" from an easily replenished liquid source.

OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

And by that I mean that 500 mile EV turns into 200 mile EV in Winter and then you have to wait 4 hours to get to the charging station for 2 hour recharge.

It would be beneficial to get some form of on-board generator to EVs to provide that "extra mile" from an easily replenished liquid source.
This comment invoked an image in my mind of gas lines, but with EVs instead.

Now instead of the vehicle in front of you taking 5-8 minutes to refuel, it takes 20-40 minutes to get enough charge to continue home.

This is another reason I'm leaning more toward a PHEV so charging is pretty much optional.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
This comment invoked an image in my mind of gas lines, but with EVs instead.

Now instead of the vehicle in front of you taking 5-8 minutes to refuel, it takes 20-40 minutes to get enough charge to continue home.

This is another reason I'm leaning more toward a PHEV so charging is pretty much optional.
Oh yes, I remember the gas lines and fuel rationing on the 70's

taildraggerpilot

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2022 MINI JCW Hardtop
Occupation
Boeing Driver
Looks like they're all doing it in some form. Ford is going all electric in Europe by 2030 and has been dumping billions into EV's here right now.

I still can't see this happening until the whole countries electrical grid is updated and not just in the big cities. Going to be a fun ride watching these little country towns with old outdated grids going black when the summer ac demands kick in. Heck it's happening now in CA where they can't generate enough power and they're telling the people to RAISE your ac and cut your usage back during peak hours. :crazy:

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...lead-americas-shift-to-electric-vehicles.html

https://apnews.com/article/ford-all-electric-in-europe-by-2030-9fd2178e1b972a8cbb71a562c84ad774#:~:text=FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) — Ford is vowing to,the seismic technological changes sweeping the auto industry.
Arizona….. Because, solar power

taildraggerpilot

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2022 MINI JCW Hardtop
Occupation
Boeing Driver
I wonder how Elon feels about all this. I'd buy an electric Ford before any of his vehicles. And the F150 lightning and Rivian will kill any chance of his non-existent Cyber Truck.

Yeah, I know. The MUSKeteers are going to be sore.
That will show them! But seriously, Tesla is a whole lot more than vehicles. One day, you may have to charge up at one of the 25,000 Tesla SuperStations. Oh, the irony…….

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
in 1000 days of owning an EV and driving 150 miles a day minimum, I've only used a supercharger 46 times, most of which were during trips to other states.

The advantage of having the EV is you have your own fuel source of electricity already at your home so your vehicle is fully charged every morning and ready for work commute.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
How much more is your electric bill than a neighbor who doesn’t own an EV?

Not a jab, I’m honestly curious.
Good question. I can see other savings with EVs like no oil changes an reduced maintenance costs but that all gets wiped out if you own it long enough to require a new battery (an then some). My only problem with EVs is I don't think we have the support in place for them yet (lack of grid an charging stations) an everyone overlooks the impact of all the mining of all the materials that make up the batteries.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I’m totally clueless when it comes to this sort of thing but how much does a setup like this cost? Say, a household of 4, in Arizona of course… I have seen some houses here in Alaska that have solar, but half the year they are just an eyesore and I can’t imagine they produce much energy. I say eyesore because they are practically vertical next to the house pointing south with less than 6 hours of sunlight, and that’s if it’s clear.

I’d imagine climate change will need to happen in order for locations this far north to have electric become a viable alternative. But I’m an idiot, and really don’t know what I’m talking about.
You're not an idiot there's a lot to learn about solar, I was clueless too but I'm one who researches everything to death. It's impossible to say what the "average" cost is because everyone uses electricity different. Some run their ac colder, they leave more lights on etc... My friend here has the same house as I have and same number living there (2) and he uses way more than we do.

They design the system around your averaged electric usage from the past 1-2 years. They take the total kWh used and go from there. Some only want to partially supplement their usage while others like myself wanted it to be a 100% offset or as close to it as possible. At the time I did mine there was a $1,000 rebate from the state and a 30% federal one. After those mine came out to just under $10K and a projected ROI of about 8 years. But with 3 increases from our electric company (doesn't effect me) my break even point will be this year which will be 7 years of ownership. All I pay is the taxes/fees which are roughly $16.50/month. Another nice thing is you're also buying a lifestyle. You're not susceptible to on/off peak hours and rates so if I'm hot at 1pm I turn the ac up where other usually wait until after 7pm when the rates are lower.
Sponsored