First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger super crew Lariat
Occupation
retired
I just bought a Leer/Cap it Canopy for my 2020 Crewcab. I drove 30 miles through a few spring showers at about 65 MPH and came home with water in the bed of the truck and the fabric on the inside of the canopy at the front of the box was soaking wet. I seems the flange on the bottom of the canopy that should go over the forward end of the box doesn't extend the whole width of the box and allows road spray to get into box through a hole that is created between the forward box edge and the side rail of the box. This is not what I was hoping for..

My wife and I were hoping to be able to travel and keep our stuff nice and dry..

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I also noticed while I was poking around, the install of the fabric showed some shoddy workmanship. It seems the canopy business is just going nuts. I had to wait almost 10 weeks to get the canopy and it bloody well leaks.
Sponsored

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Sorry to hear about your experience, definitely frustrating to pay so much and wait so long to get a defective product. Either way, you literally just got it installed, so take it back and go through with warranty. You might even be able to just get a refund and get a different brand.

Okanagan Winemaker

I noticed when they installed my canopy that the front panel
steps down a bit from the side panels. Range Rider installed
gasket to create a seal and prevent water from getting in? Did
they do that on yours?

OP
OP

Stevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Sorry to hear about your experience, definitely frustrating to pay so much and wait so long to get a defective product. Either way, you literally just got it installed, so take it back and go through with warranty. You might even be able to just get a refund and get a different brand.
Well they claim that both the Ranger 5G and the Toyota 3G both have the same problem... All of the canopies leak so they gooped it up with more silicon.. I have to take the canopy off now so I will see what kind of mess they made. Hopefully it won't be too bad... Meanwhile, I was about to start on installing Firestone air springs and noticed the job they did installing the wire for the brake light. Absolutely Shocking!!
I noticed when they installed my canopy that the front panel
steps down a bit from the side panels. Range Rider installed
gasket to create a seal and prevent water from getting in? Did
they do that on yours?
Yes they did.. I have to take the canopy off to pick up a load of Compost. So I will see what kind of job they did.. Canopy ended up slightly crooked and I noticed the brakelight wire was installed really poorly.. I mean shockingly bad.. I am re-installing it myself. They are supposed to drop off the shielding today. They offered to fix it but there is no way I am going to allow the same guy to touch my truck again. I have some photo's but I can't seem to figure out how to get them from my cell phone to this site... I'll post them when I figure that out.. Meanwhile... I got stuff to do!

OP
OP

Stevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
They claim all the new Fords and Toyotas have the same problem.. They agreed to upsell me an RSI but they said they have the same problem too... It is Ford's problem..

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Well they claim that both the Ranger 5G and the Toyota 3G both have the same problem... All of the canopies leak so they gooped it up with more silicon.. I have to take the canopy off now so I will see what kind of mess they made. Hopefully it won't be too bad... Meanwhile, I was about to start on installing Firestone air springs and noticed the job they did installing the wire for the brake light. Absolutely Shocking!!

Yes they did.. I have to take the canopy off to pick up a load of Compost. So I will see what kind of job they did.. Canopy ended up slightly crooked and I noticed the brakelight wire was installed really poorly.. I mean shockingly bad.. I am re-installing it myself. They are supposed to drop off the shielding today. They offered to fix it but there is no way I am going to allow the same guy to touch my truck again. I have some photo's but I can't seem to figure out how to get them from my cell phone to this site... I'll post them when I figure that out.. Meanwhile... I got stuff to do!
Steve , I just got an ARE cap last week and its dry but they hacked the wiring also! They used a scotch lock connector at the Ford wiring harness at he frame rail wide open to the elements and where they drilled though metal they didnt use any grommets ! Scotch locks connectors should be illegal LOL

OP
OP

Stevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Steve , I just got an ARE cap last week and its dry but they hacked the wiring also! They used a scotch lock connector at the Ford wiring harness at he frame rail wide open to the elements and where they drilled though metal they didnt use any grommets ! Scotch locks connectors should be illegal LOL
Crazy... You just can't get good help anymore HA HA .. Well as a Red Seal master electrician, I think I can do better. They charge $128/hour for this baloney.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Crazy... You just can't get good help anymore HA HA .. Well as a Red Seal master electrician, I think I can do better. They charge $128/hour for this baloney.
They water tested mine before I picked it up which was great but they dropped the ball on the wiring.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Something sounds fishy. The lower front is not a trade secret. It's how the truck is built. I'm betting the installers didn't follow a Leer detail. If it was me I'd reach out to Leer and ask for their specific installation guidelines for the vehicle. I have a bone dry Snugtop and I've seen the specific installation documents for the cab installation as well as the wiring. Leer is a quality manufacturer and has been around for a while. The installers sound sketchy.

RVA Overland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
just climbed up into my truck to look at the front corners. I also have a leer cap and get intrusion. At the front of the bed there are two holes in the bed at the top. They are basically under the lip but go straight outside. Also looked up at the top passenger side corner and I see light coming in between folds in the bed itself. I am sure there are ways to seal it all just gonna be tough with the cap in place. Good luck.

OP
OP

Stevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Something sounds fishy. The lower front is not a trade secret. It's how the truck is built. I'm betting the installers didn't follow a Leer detail. If it was me I'd reach out to Leer and ask for their specific installation guidelines for the vehicle. I have a bone dry Snugtop and I've seen the specific installation documents for the cab installation as well as the wiring. Leer is a quality manufacturer and has been around for a while. The installers sound sketchy.
There is no doubt in my mind the installer is a bit sketchy. The Cap-it franchisees have been around quite awhile though and I had no problems with my old topper I bought from them 10 years ago. They have a mechanic (or what ever you call that position) that really screwed up the wiring and now that I have the canopy off the truck and suspended from the ceiling by its roof racks, I can see exactly what's going on. It's simply poor workmanship... Good materials but just not careful work. However, the franchisees stand by him so I guess I'll have to go elsewhere.

OP
OP

Stevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
They water tested mine before I picked it up which was great but they dropped the ball on the wiring.
That was great service.. My local guys are so busy, this Covid thing has meant a business boom for all things RV around here. It is also really hard to find good trades personnel, so I get it. It's just frustrating. I sure like my truck though!!!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
When I got my tonneau cover they gave me two rubber blocks that fit in the open space by the bulkhead. Maybe you can get a thick piece of gasket or rubber block and cut it to fit in there? We don't get much rain here but I've been through a couple good downpours and I do pressure wash my truck and have no leaks with these in there.

OP
OP

Stevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
When I got my tonneau cover they gave me two rubber blocks that fit in the open space by the bulkhead. Maybe you can get a thick piece of gasket or rubber block and cut it to fit in there? We don't get much rain here but I've been through a couple good downpours and I do pressure wash my truck and have no leaks with these in there.
Thanks, I will do that..

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thanks, I will do that..
I forgot I did added a little black silicon around the edges of them to make sure they were sealed in there good. Hope this works for you.
Sponsored

Last edited: