Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat, FX4, White Platinum, Chrome, Tow
Occupation
Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
If towing a popup tent trailer ~3,000 lbs is it necessary to enable tow mode, or better to leave it turned off?
Sponsored

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
If towing a popup tent trailer ~3,000 lbs is it necessary to enable tow mode, or better to leave it turned off?
I tow a 3500 pound camper and the tow button makes a massive difference in the way the transmission handles the load. I highly recommend it. You can lock out 9th and 10th by using the shift button on the shifter while in normal mode. Experiment with 8th and 9th to see which you want to use. I was using 9th, but the engine seems happier in 8th.

I really like your truck!

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
There is no way I would even begin to consider towing a 31' travel trailer with a Ranger. Period. There is not enough wheelbase there to make that safe in high winds or evasive maneuvers.

The numbers might be there saying you can, but that doesn't mean you should. There is no reserve level of safety from brakes, engine, or wheelbase when pushing the safety envelope like this. Yall go ahead and do it, but I can guarantee that being out there on the road with 60k lbs tractor-trailer rigs, very aggressive drivers everywhere, and wind conditions that can change quickly, plus mountainous terrain if out there, commands having a stout capable tow vehicle that can deal with contingencies.

Wish I had a picture of a wreck I saw last week where a F150 was towing a bumper-pull that was near 40' long, which was laying on its side in the median all busted up still attached to the truck. Both truck and trailer just completely ruined.

Peeps, dont take this towing too lightly. Allow at least a 25% safety factor subtracted from max tow stated. The short wheelbase can be very dangerous if things get out of hand quickly. Rangers are great, capable little trucks. But if you want to tow a high-profile travel trailer with much surface area, better get a tow vehicle that can handle not just the weight but the surface area exposed to wind.

JMM_AZ

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crew Cab 4x4 Lariat
No one is disputing a problem with trailer length vs Ranger length, but mine is a 24', 4800+ (with load) and paying attention to road & wind condition I have over 10,000 miles with the trailer and no problems.

OP
OP

Bobh

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
No one is disputing a problem with trailer length vs Ranger length, but mine is a 24', 4800+ (with load) and paying attention to road & wind condition I have over 10,000 miles with the trailer and no problems.
Thanks for all the suggestions and input. I will keep the travel trailer under 25 Ft. I will also buy a WD hitch with sway control

JMM_AZ

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crew Cab 4x4 Lariat
Thanks for all the suggestions and input. I will keep the travel trailer under 25 Ft. I will also buy a WD hitch with sway control
That's what I have did.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I tow a Forrest River Wildwood 207BH. It's fairly wide, 10'2" at the AC unit and weighs loaded about 4500#. I have an EZ hitch with the 800# bars which I purposely leave the bars not heavily loaded.

I got about 13MPG over 1000 miles of flat land towing at 55-75mph.

It's completely fine, even when I tow it with full or partially full tanks. It was a bit wiggly in the rear of the truck before I added some more tongue weight and increased rear tire pressure to 40PSI.
Sponsored