Camber bolts for 2.5" level?

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Dealer supplied and installed a 2.5" level as part of bargaining during my truck purchase, and "aligned" it after.

I thought a couple days after i picked the truck up that there was some noticeable positive camber. this suspicion has been IMO been proven true due to the fact that just a few thousand miles later.. the outsides of my front tires are showing unusual wear.

Are camber bolts with greater adjustment needed for a 2.5" level? There's no way my truck is properly aligned.

I just called and made an appt. for an oil change, and told them that I wanted the truck put back on the rack to figure out what's going on.

I'm half expecting to get some B.S from them about how they can't align it properly due to the leveling kit.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Dealer supplied and installed a 2.5" level as part of bargaining during my truck purchase, and "aligned" it after.

I thought a couple days after i picked the truck up that there was some noticeable positive camber. this suspicion has been IMO been proven true due to the fact that just a few thousand miles later.. the outsides of my front tires are showing unusual wear.

Are camber bolts with greater adjustment needed for a 2.5" level? There's no way my truck is properly aligned.

I just called and made an appt. for an oil change, and told them that I wanted the truck put back on the rack to figure out what's going on.

I'm half expecting to get some B.S from them about how they can't align it properly due to the leveling kit.
Chances are the dealer you had install the Kit doesn't know what they are doing. I myself installed the old man emu lift kit which raise the front by 2.4 in in the rear by 1.6 in. I was able to get the alignment into specifications with no problems whatsoever with that kit. I don't even think there's any extra camber bolts available on the market that provide extra camber and Caster adjustment.

OP
OP
Blmpkn

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Chances are the dealer you had install the Kit doesn't know what they are doing. I myself installed the old man emu lift kit which raise the front by 2.4 in in the rear by 1.6 in. I was able to get the alignment into specifications with no problems whatsoever with that kit. I don't even think there's any extra camber bolts available on the market that provide extra camber and Caster adjustment.
Thanks for the reply. Well see what the deal is Monday. Annoying.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply. Well see what the deal is Monday. Annoying.
Good luck, my dealer couldn't even tell my what brand 2.5" level they had installed (was done by them months before I bought it). They could only tell me the price of the parts and I had to do some basic investigative skills to figure out it was Rough Country. I'm pretty sure RC is the go-to for dealer installed upsales.

They wanted $3,000 for the Toyo OC AT2 285/70/17 + 2.5" RC Level - yea no, that is like around $1,000 in parts. This was back when COVID had just kicked off and they were desperate for sales. Made them eat it, every last penny.

OP
OP
Blmpkn

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Good luck, my dealer couldn't even tell my what brand 2.5" level they had installed (was done by them months before I bought it). They could only tell me the price of the parts and I had to do some basic investigative skills to figure out it was Rough Country. I'm pretty sure RC is the go-to for dealer installed upsales.

They wanted $3,000 for the Toyo OC AT2 285/70/17 + 2.5" RC Level - yea no, that is like around $1,000 in parts. This was back when COVID had just kicked off and they were desperate for sales. Made them eat it, every last penny.

My dealer did install a R.C level, which I found wierd.. as ford performance has their own...

Well see what happens Monday. I'm hoping they don't let me down by giving me the runaround.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My dealer did install a R.C level, which I found wierd.. as ford performance has their own...

Well see what happens Monday. I'm hoping they don't let me down by giving me the runaround.
I know why they did that leveling kit. It was way cheaper because it's a spacer leveling kit at best

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The ford kit isn't just spacers?
June 4th performance leveling kit doesn't use spacers whatsoever. They replace the entire strut assembly of front and replace the shocks in the rear.

OP
OP
Blmpkn

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
June 4th performance leveling kit doesn't use spacers whatsoever. They replace the entire strut assembly of front and replace the shocks in the rear.
Yeah I see why they gave me the R.C kit now haha, of course.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Alot of folks talk s$%t about strut spacer level kits (or coil spacer kits where the spacer installs between the coil and strut plate, requiring strut disassembly) but its a good cheap way to get the nose of the truck up where it needs to be far as I'm concerned. You will hear some say "certain spacers create too much axle bind" but I don't agree with this as all 3 spacer "systems" (strut spacer, coil spacer, or full on replacement strut assembly) all do the same thing, raise the truck up. Now yes going more than 2.5" and I guess you get pretty extreme axle joint angles.

Also, yes the lower control arms need adjusted out pretty much all the way (in some cases) to correct camber as I understand it but the stock hardware can be adjusted out.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Alot of folks talk s$%t about strut spacer level kits (or coil spacer kits where the spacer installs between the coil and strut plate, requiring strut disassembly) but its a good cheap way to get the nose of the truck up where it needs to be far as I'm concerned. You will hear some say "certain spacers create too much axle bind" but I don't agree with this as all 3 spacer "systems" (strut spacer, coil spacer, or full on replacement strut assembly) all do the same thing, raise the truck up. Now yes going more than 2.5" and I guess you get pretty extreme axle joint angles.

Also, yes the lower control arms need adjusted out pretty much all the way (in some cases) to correct camber as I understand it but the stock hardware can be adjusted out.
I'm not sure who thinks that space a kiss will cause axle buying unless you're going well past 3 in a front which is not supposed to happen on any independent control arm system. At least not without extensive modification. I personally don't like the spacer leveling kits just for the fact that if you want to go off road you want to replace your entire strut assembly to get more traveled and when you going off-road anyways you don't want to do a leveling kit because you need to get clearance and travel on all four quarters not just front.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
Sounds like they installed the kit and didn't align it

You don't need camber bolts

I would be after them for a new set of tires

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I know why they did that leveling kit. It was way cheaper because it's a spacer leveling kit at best
Pretty much this. RC 2.5" front level kit is like $90 or something like that. Was fine for me as I plan to replace them at some point anyhow.

They wanted to charge $3000 for $1000 in parts and rubber. Out of their mind. I didn't think at the time, but I should have pushed for credit on the factory tires they took off or asked for them. Sounds like they got a spare set of 4 brand new in the back of the shop of somewhere for free. Oh well.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure who thinks that space a kiss will cause axle buying unless you're going well past 3 in a front which is not supposed to happen on any independent control arm system. At least not without extensive modification. I personally don't like the spacer leveling kits just for the fact that if you want to go off road you want to replace your entire strut assembly to get more traveled and when you going off-road anyways you don't want to do a leveling kit because you need to get clearance and travel on all four quarters not just front.
Yes of course if you are going to be jumping or going hard, a good Icon or Fox or whatever full replacement kit is the best. However, anyone can enjoy their factory FX4 suspension off-road just fine. Yes any spacer kit can be beneficial off-road since it gets the front higher up away from obstacles which is always good. These trucks are just too damn low in the front, the rear does not need raised up more than it already is (for me anyway).

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes of course if you are going to be jumping or going hard, a good Icon or Fox or whatever full replacement kit is the best. However, anyone can enjoy their factory FX4 suspension off-road just fine. Yes any spacer kit can be beneficial off-road since it gets the front higher up away from obstacles which is always good. These trucks are just too damn low in the front, the rear does not need raised up more than it already is (for me anyway).
Ummm perhaps you just havent been to far into offroad then. I dont have an FX4 but I have been Offroad plenty here in Colorado and depending on where you go it can get a bit crazy. Also when going off road you are looking for more than just clearance, you want travel as well hence why you lift it without spacers. I did the full leaf replacement that came with the Old Man EMU kit and it gave me just enough articulation in the rear compared to stock wich made it way easier to get through certain terrain. That was big since my truck does not have a locker. Also I do not go hitting jumps as the truck is not a trophy truck.

Here are pictures for reference of that kit since you seem to think it is too high(I still hit things on the trail BTW)

0906201648.jpg

0719201535_HDR.jpg

0803201851.jpg
Sponsored