Buzzy intake

Cwcole

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
While installing intercooler pipes, I had the airbox flipped and out of the way. On the underside of the lid I noticed some cloth and something plastic welded to the lid. I studied it briefly then made a rash decision that this seems like a worthless part - so I removed it.

I can't 100% tell if this was the buzzing sound I could hear while accelerating, the valve train seems a little buzzy too, but I like (if only an illusion) just hearing the AWE cat-back now.

Does anyone know what other purpose this would have?
IMG_4053.jpg
IMG_4054.jpg
Sponsored

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
The part number says it's a hydrocarbon filter. Not sure how important it is though.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
If anything it is part of the emissions but something so miniscule like thay shouldnt affect performance from removing it.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Absorbs fuel vapor after shut off. Won’t hinder performance without it but no gain in removing it. Maybe more fuel smell in the garage.

OP
OP
Cwcole

Cwcole

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
The part number says it's a hydrocarbon filter. Not sure how important it is though.
Wouldn't that require eventual replacement of this part and it would need to be inline with air flow?

OP
OP
Cwcole

Cwcole

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Absorbs fuel vapor after shut off. Won’t hinder performance without it but no gain in removing it. Maybe more fuel smell in the garage.
There is a whole system for capturing fuel vapor. Bonus, this car parks outside.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Wouldn't that require eventual replacement of this part and it would need to be inline with air flow?
The intake air refreshes it. Then when you stop it absorbs again. No big deal. Probably helps them pass the SHED test.
Sponsored