First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
A member here did a lot of research on different intakes and more or less found that (in his opinion) the best option was to drill a 3? Inch hole in the side of the airbox, the fender, and run a silicone coupler in between.

His reasoning seemed to be that every one of the aftermarket intakes still have to deal with the same bottleneck restriction the stock intake does, and claims he's noticed a meaningful change in how the truck breathes, perhaps even as well as a few hundred dollar aftermarket unit... but for much much cheaper.
Very interesting, thanks.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a "take" on the MIshimoto, and Quantum AFE intake? It seems like these two options have spent some effort in redesigning the intake for performance gains. My worry with the Mishimoto one is how the intake snorkel is routed, my first impression is too much dirt will hit the filter...
Hi Wally,

I really do not have any knowledge of either as I have no interest in modding the intake system so have done no research. Not much help in this arena other my experience with K&N and off road racing of which I managed Ford's effort for about 25 years...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OWSportninja

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport SuperCrew 2wd
Hi Chris,

I also second not using K&N. If you can find the specs on the OEM and the K&M, look for the number of grams of dirt the filter is designed to hold. And also the minimum size of the dirt it traps. No one of which I know runs K&N in desert racing as they are not effective. You will never see a K&N filter on any of my personal vehicles. One thing for sure....your filter change requirement will be way more frequent with K&N and the filters are usually quite pricey. My opinion is that K&N is living on reputation to sell their filters and not on their performance to keep the engine clean.....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
So If K&N is sooooooooo soooo bad why exactly does Ford offer and suggest its use with the Ford performance tune??? Seems like it if was so detrimental like you guys state that they would not offer or recommend it in the kit that they offer with a warranty no??

Just think its funny how there's a double standard here. Like when you say the factory filter is good enough because Ford says its good enough. But then turn around and bash the brand that FORD recommends with their performance tune.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
So If K&N is sooooooooo soooo bad why exactly does Ford offer and suggest its use with the Ford performance tune??? Seems like it if was so detrimental like you guys state that they would not offer or recommend it in the kit that they offer with a warranty no??

Just think its funny how there's a double standard here. Like when you say the factory filter is good enough because Ford says its good enough. But then turn around and bash the brand that FORD recommends with their performance tune.

It's just the American way, pal.
Sponsored