First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger XLT
Occupation
Nurse
2019 Ranger XLT 2.3. So my daughter (Ford technician) is trying to talk me into a cold air intake. Any thoughts, experiences to share? TIA.

JIM
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Before you say "sure lets do it" I have to ask a few things.

First off what State do you live in? Why I ask? Well if you are somewhere where there is high dirt and dust content in the air then it's a very very big NO!!! I have seen way too many engines get trashed from K&N air filters in Arizona.

Second, do you go offroad at all? If so revert to #1

Third, what brand are you thinking of going with? I definitely would not recommend K&N but I am aware that some brands are good.

Fourth, is she trying to say it will give you a bunch of power or really increase you MPG? I can already say the power will not go up much and the MPG wont go up much either.

These are the questions I would ask. Hopefully this will guide you in the right direction.

I will also add that there is nothing wrong with the Factory air filter. Ford recommends it for a reason and that alone is a good enough reason for it.

Perhaps our awesome Engineer freind person dude guy @P. A. Schilke can give some better input

OP
OP

kajnjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger XLT
Occupation
Nurse
Frenchy,
I’m in Louisiana, so no problem with dust, etc. No off-roading. She didn’t really recommend a particular brand, but sent me a link to an aFe Quantum model. Also didn’t specify whether she thought it would significantly increase hp or mileage, but I assume hp increase is why most folks add these. Never have put one on any of my previous vehicles and have never been a big mod guy (can’t say the same for her ?). I was actually kinda curious whether the dual turbos on this engine need to be considered regarding the intake or not. Haven’t discussed that with her. I’m obviously not a mechanic, but do almost all repairs and maintenance on my vehicles. Thanks for the input.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just some food for thought too add. These trucks only have 1 turbocharger. The only Ranger that has the twin(or dual) turbochargers are the 2.0L Bi-turbo diesel in other parts of the world and any ranger that gets the 2.7L. What you might be thinking is the twinscroll wich is how the turbocharger is plumbed on the exhaust from the engine to help reduce turbo lag.

Now if you are not really into modifications on the vehicle much then I would recommend just keeping it stock and leaving the factory intake on there.

Thats my input on this.

OP
OP

kajnjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger XLT
Occupation
Nurse
I may have gotten the displacement wrong. It’s definitely a twin turbo. The intake is not something I’m considering seriously. More just a curiosity thing. I’ve been tweaking some of my modules with ForScan and as I play with things my curiosity gets piqued ??

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Basically the only reasons to do it are

1. Cooler turbo sounds
2. Highly modded truck will see solid gains
3. You wanna talk about how cool you are to have a “Cold air intake”

other than that like others have stated it can be risky business. Also more maintenance (clean and oil)

basically with a after market air filter you are letting more air in (of course) but.. you are also letting more fine particles of dirt and whatever else in. No bueno.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you have a 2.3L ranger then I can promise it is a single turbo lol. That i am aware of it is the only option here in the states at this time.

As for ForScan, yes it is a nice tool for us to use and configure things.

OP
OP

kajnjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger XLT
Occupation
Nurse
MTB-BRUH,
Good input. Thanks.
Oh Frenchy...it looks like I was correct after all ?:
“Rangers come with a turbocharged 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine that delivers 270 horsepower and 310 lb.-ft. of torque – all routed through a 10-speed automatic transmission.” From a specs list. Sorry, just messing witcha. Couldn’t help it. LOL.

OP
OP

kajnjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger XLT
Occupation
Nurse
Wait... that DOES NOT say TWIN turbo does it? ??‍♂ I’m an idiot

OP
OP

kajnjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger XLT
Occupation
Nurse
And..here ya go:
“Just like the revised EcoBoost 2.0L engine, the Ford 2.3L EcoBoost is equipped with a twin-scroll turbocharger.” I stand corrected and humbled and apologetic.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Before you say "sure lets do it" I have to ask a few things.

First off what State do you live in? Why I ask? Well if you are somewhere where there is high dirt and dust content in the air then it's a very very big NO!!! I have seen way too many engines get trashed from K&N air filters in Arizona.

Second, do you go offroad at all? If so revert to #1

Third, what brand are you thinking of going with? I definitely would not recommend K&N but I am aware that some brands are good.

Fourth, is she trying to say it will give you a bunch of power or really increase you MPG? I can already say the power will not go up much and the MPG wont go up much either.

These are the questions I would ask. Hopefully this will guide you in the right direction.

I will also add that there is nothing wrong with the Factory air filter. Ford recommends it for a reason and that alone is a good enough reason for it.

Perhaps our awesome Engineer freind person dude guy @P. A. Schilke can give some better input
Hi Chris,

I also second not using K&N. If you can find the specs on the OEM and the K&M, look for the number of grams of dirt the filter is designed to hold. And also the minimum size of the dirt it traps. No one of which I know runs K&N in desert racing as they are not effective. You will never see a K&N filter on any of my personal vehicles. One thing for sure....your filter change requirement will be way more frequent with K&N and the filters are usually quite pricey. My opinion is that K&N is living on reputation to sell their filters and not on their performance to keep the engine clean.....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Chris,

I also second not using K&N. If you can find the specs on the OEM and the K&M, look for the number of grams of dirt the filter is designed to hold. And also the minimum size of the dirt it traps. No one of which I know runs K&N in desert racing as they are not effective. You will never see a K&N filter on any of my personal vehicles. One thing for sure....your filter change requirement will be way more frequent with K&N and the filters are usually quite pricey. My opinion is that K&N is living on reputation to sell their filters and not on their performance to keep the engine clean.....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
What Phil said. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
Hi Chris,

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Do you have a "take" on the MIshimoto, and Quantum AFE intake? It seems like these two options have spent some effort in redesigning the intake for performance gains. My worry with the Mishimoto one is how the intake snorkel is routed, my first impression is too much dirt will hit the filter...

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Do you have a "take" on the MIshimoto, and Quantum AFE intake? It seems like these two options have spent some effort in redesigning the intake for performance gains. My worry with the Mishimoto one is how the intake snorkel is routed, my first impression is too much dirt will hit the filter...
If you look at the snorkel for the air filter it is still covered by the hood and does not have a straight path to the grille. The Mishimoto will do the same, just open your hood and see. Also if dirt is your concern I suggest keeping the factory paper filter.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
A member here did a lot of research on different intakes and more or less found that (in his opinion) the best option was to drill a 3? Inch hole in the side of the airbox, the fender, and run a silicone coupler in between.

His reasoning seemed to be that every one of the aftermarket intakes still have to deal with the same bottleneck restriction the stock intake does, and claims he's noticed a meaningful change in how the truck breathes, perhaps even as well as a few hundred dollar aftermarket unit... but for much much cheaper.
Sponsored