Bronco auto 4wd transfer case in Ranger?

Sped68

First Name
Harley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I’m hoping someone smarter than me knows if it’ll be possible to swap in the new Bronco auto 4wd transfer case into our Rangers. If the base transfer case in the bronco is the same unit as the Ranger it should increase the likely hood of it fitting mechanically. It Electronically working or integrating into the rest of the systems seems like the far bigger issue.
I’d love to have auto 4wd. Here on the frozen prairies we go from ice and snow to clear freeways and roads constantly all winter.
Sponsored

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
It is likely you need a lot more than just the transfer case. The auto 4WD probably activates from feedback from multiple sensors indicating wheels slip. There is probably software needed in some module to support also.

Swishpapasweets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT,1998 Ford Ranger XLT
I'll be willing to bet that it'll bolt up but you're going to need the sensors and wire harness (or make one) to properly run it.

OP
OP
Sped68

Sped68

First Name
Harley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
It is likely you need a lot more than just the transfer case. The auto 4WD probably activates from feedback from multiple sensors indicating wheels slip. There is probably software needed in some module to support also.
I’d think it would run off the wheel speed sensors for the traction control and abs but I’d think there could be a module or two involved.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Stay tuned in for late next year—2022.

Reactions: EJH

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
I’m hoping someone smarter than me knows if it’ll be possible to swap in the new Bronco auto 4wd transfer case into our Rangers. If the base transfer case in the bronco is the same unit as the Ranger it should increase the likely hood of it fitting mechanically. It Electronically working or integrating into the rest of the systems seems like the far bigger issue.
I’d love to have auto 4wd. Here on the frozen prairies we go from ice and snow to clear freeways and roads constantly all winter.
In Australia we have the Ford Everest which is the SUV version of the Ranger, its basically a Ranger from the centre pillar forward with a station wagon back and rear coil spring setup. It has the same engine and gearbox options as the Ranger but is available with the Auto 4WD transfer case. So I imagine in theory its possible but you would need the CPU and wiring harness for the transfer case.