Has Anyone Extended The Axle/Transfer Case Breather Lines? Is It Necessary?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I searched but didn't find anything.

In my area there are quite a few creek crossings and one of the first things I usually do is extend the breathers to get them above the airbox.

I haven't had a chance to crawl under it and see where the factory runs them to.

In my 2018 Pro4X Frontier, I ran the rear breather up next to the taillight and the T-case and front breathers into the engine compartment.
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
From what I recall there's a thread for this already, and it was determined that the vents were located in a spot that would not be the first area of concern when crossing water. I think one is zip tied to the fuel filler neck and the others are somewhere in the engine bay.

Mike in UT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew FX4, Hot Pepper Red, Tow pkg, Extang Trifecta 2.0 Tonneau cover, Rhino Liner, Lift Gate Assist, Ford black running boards
Occupation
IT technician, retired soldier (11B, 19D)
From what I recall there's a thread for this already, and it was determined that the vents were located in a spot that would not be the first area of concern when crossing water. I think one is zip tied to the fuel filler neck and the others are somewhere in the engine bay.
So if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying they're already up around the top of the engine in height?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying they're already up around the top of the engine in height?

No, they are already around the engine midline, and your alternator will already be squarely in harms way before the breathers get underwater.

Mike in UT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew FX4, Hot Pepper Red, Tow pkg, Extang Trifecta 2.0 Tonneau cover, Rhino Liner, Lift Gate Assist, Ford black running boards
Occupation
IT technician, retired soldier (11B, 19D)
No, they are already around the engine midline, and your alternator will already be squarely in harms way before the breathers get underwater.
Thanks for the clarification!
Now to figure out what to do about the alternator, not that it will be a huge issue.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
The front axle breather is even in height with the oil filter.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The front axle breather is even in height with the oil filter.
Which if I remember correctly is higher than the alternator. We've already had one forum member who killed their alternator by hitting water and mud.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which if I remember correctly is higher than the alternator. We've already had one forum member who killed their alternator by hitting water and mud.
Pretty certain that’s a one off situation. I’ve soaked my alternator at the carwash just to see if it would die and nothing came of it. Granted spraying and submerging are different beasts it’s still high pressure jets of water.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to take any vehicle into water that deep but it’s nice to know if you do underestimate the depth it will still be okay.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty certain that’s a one off situation. I’ve soaked my alternator at the carwash just to see if it would die and nothing came of it. Granted spraying and submerging are different beasts it’s still high pressure jets of water.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to take any vehicle into water that deep but it’s nice to know if you do underestimate the depth it will still be okay.

Any natural water body will have "stuff" in it that your car wash will not have. Generally the damage will come from suspended solids in a rotating alternator which can grind up some of the important bits. Could it hurt to extend the vent? Absolutely not. I'm just saying you should make every attempt to keep the water lower than the door line so that you don't have to worry about any of the softer components.

I hope someone comes up with an alternator relocation kit that moves it up, but I doubt that will happen unless the 2.3L ranger ends up in Australia, the land of overlanding.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any natural water body will have "stuff" in it that your car wash will not have. Generally the damage will come from suspended solids in a rotating alternator which can grind up some of the important bits. Could it hurt to extend the vent? Absolutely not. I'm just saying you should make every attempt to keep the water lower than the door line so that you don't have to worry about any of the softer components.

I hope someone comes up with an alternator relocation kit that moves it up, but I doubt that will happen unless the 2.3L ranger ends up in Australia, the land of overlanding.

That makes sense and I agree with you on keeping the water level low. I usually think of river crossings as nice pristine crystal blue mountain water like we have here in Colorado hah. The mud would definitely be another animal.

Aside from moving the alternator I’d like to see a sealed version from someone that doesn’t need open air space inside for cooling.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That makes sense and I agree with you on keeping the water level low. I usually think of river crossings as nice pristine crystal blue mountain water like we have here in Colorado hah. The mud would definitely be another animal.

Aside from moving the alternator I’d like to see a sealed version from someone that doesn’t need open air space inside for cooling.

Have you ever seen a sealed alternator? I've not, generally the nature of the device requires some heavy cooling because 200A of current inside a device that weighs <10# creates a lot of heat.

EDIT: I see water cooled ones, that's the ticket.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi Andy,

In the rust belt states, low mounted alternators have a hard life. I was told by a GPD engineer (General Products Division...a now defunct name) was to wash out the salt and curd with a hose... I could never bring myself to wash out an alternator, so do not know if this helps or not...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you ever seen a sealed alternator? I've not, generally the nature of the device requires some heavy cooling because 200A of current inside a device that weighs <10# creates a lot of heat.

EDIT: I see water cooled ones, that's the ticket.
How about an oil cooled alternator in the transmission housing before the TQ converter. Since the transmission oil is already water cooled. I’m sure if we get away from the belt driven accessory system things could be packaged better. However, always the issue of repair. I’ll have to look at some military systems and see how they manage.

Last edited:

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Andy,

In the rust belt states, low mounted alternators have a hard life. I was told by a GPD engineer (General Products Division...a now defunct name) was to wash out the salt and curd with a hose... I could never bring myself to wash out an alternator, so do not know if this helps or not...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

I’d like to think current version alternators are more reliable and “proofed” from the elements than past years. Although I can only hope that’s the case. Have you ever heard of a company thinking or planning to reduce and or remove the belt driven accessory’s? In favor of internal design? Packaging of the system would be a hurdle.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How about an oil cooled alternator in the transmission housing before the TQ converter. Since the transmission oil is already water cooled. I’m sure if we get away from the belt driven accessory system things could be packaged better. However, always the issue of repair. I’ll have to look at some military systems and see how they manage.
Heat is the enemy of electricity, so even water cooled oil is considered hot compared to what you'd want your alternator temp to be. I'd like to see the alternator moved up towards the top if possible, but my guess is it will happen with a redesigned block in 3-4 years and we'll be stuck with what we have.
Sponsored