Auto 4WD via Terrain Control

Iron Ox

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura CSX
Was doing some searching and came across this.

Normal Mode
There’s nothing normal about the performance of your Ford, even in Normal Mode. Ideal for everyday driving conditions, especially dry pavement, this transfers torque to the front wheels (and only to the rear wheels when necessary) for smooth, fuel efficient driving.

https://www.teamford.ca/2018/11/09/...-go-thanks-to-ford-terrain-management-system/
Sponsored

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Last edited:

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
2wd without auto 4wd makes a lot of sense for fuel economy, they can disconnect the drive lines and tcase entirely. Not sure if the ranger does bur I assume so since it has a modern ptu/tcase

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I'm not sure why they didn't add an auto 4x4 mode like so many other trucks, it would be nice to be able to set it there when out crusing in the winter, or on mild trails and let the 4x4 brain do all the thinking.

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure why they didn't add an auto 4x4 mode like so many other trucks, it would be nice to be able to set it there when out crusing in the winter, or on mild trails and let the 4x4 brain do all the thinking.
Cost savings. There's no technological reason they couldn't do it, auto 4-hi has been around 20+ years

I checked the manual, 4-hi is good to 68 mph. You shouldn't be going faster than that if you think you need 4wd. If you think you need 4wd, change it to 4-hi. Boom. Done.

WCG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Took my 2019 Ranger FX4 to the dealer today to figure out some of these issues. Manual is a little vague on the interaction between the 2/4WD switch and the TM terrain management switch. Here's how mine works:

1. Driving along in 2H and hit the TM button and choose one of three special terrain modes (Snow, Ruts or Sand) and system automatically switches to 4H. Switch back to Normal terrain mode and system automatically switches back to 2H.
2. Driving along in 2H and switch to 4H, 4H light comes on. Push the TM to check which terrain mode I'm in and shows Normal, the first terrain mode. Here's where the manual is vague, is the front axle engaged in 4H Normal? We took it to a gravelly spot and did some sharp turns and clearly got skips and hops. Put it in 2H and same turns were smooth and skip free. Front axle is clearly engaged in 4H Normal.

Of course it's also engaged the three special terrain modes (4H- Snow, Ruts and Sand) and skips in turns as well. But the question some of us were asking was whether it was engaged in 4H Normal, as it clearly is. In fact it operates in 4H Normal just like a 4WD Ranger in 4H without FX4 package or any terrain mode choices. Makes sense now, but wish the manual were written more clearly.
Sponsored