Blacking out chrome door handles?

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Curious if anyone has bought the black stick-on covers or vinyl sprayed the chrome door handles? I would like to get rid of some of the chrome on my Ranger. If you sprayed them what did you use and how did it hold up?

Thanks!
Dave
Sponsored

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2
I sprayed the door handles on my ranger and it was pretty easy. I used the Rust - Oleum Gloss Black Sprayable Vinyl. I was impressed with it.

I ended up peeling it back off because it was windy and got some dirt embedded in the spray and I left a thumb print trying to get it out, lol. I'm going to retry on a non-windy weekend soon, but might try matte black Plasti Dip because it lasts longer before you have to peel and respray. I read on the can that the Rust - Oleum needs to be peeled before 6 months where as Plasti Dip lasts years.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Keep in mind that Plasti Dip or other spray on rubber/vinyl products aren't really designed to use on surfaces that are constantly being touched/handled. If you do decide to Plasti Dip your door handles, you'll want to remove them so you can spray all angles properly in order to get complete coverage all over the handles, including the back side. Also, use a lot of coats, probably 8 or so wet coats, maybe even more, which will add durability. Another good idea would be to use Plasti Dip Primer on chrome, before spraying any Plasti Dip. You can also use a product called Bulldog Adhesion Promoter (another aerosol primer), which you can typically find at a local auto parts store. These products will greatly increase adhesion and help the dip last a long time.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
Curious if anyone has bought the black stick-on covers or vinyl sprayed the chrome door handles? I would like to get rid of some of the chrome on my Ranger. If you sprayed them what did you use and how did it hold up?

Thanks!
Dave
Mine are black but I was thinking they would look good chromed. :)
Sponsored