djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I am going to plasti dip the gills matte black this week/weekend and will post some pics. Did the emblems this past weekend and came out pretty good...
Did you remove the rear emblem to dip it or did you mask the truck?
Sponsored

VolRanger24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Did you remove the rear emblem to dip it or did you mask the truck?
No need to remove, you just tape off (included a few pics below) roughly an inch around whatever you want to plasti dip. Then put down the light first coat as prescribed and then I waited about 20 mins between coats doing 6 coats n total. The key I have found is to do the second coat onward fairly "wet" but not so wet that it drips or pools. Then let it dry for 45 mins to an hour after last coat and then you just peel off and it leave a perfect edge. If you want to see some very instructive videos, I learned by watching the ones on dipyourcar.com (https://www.dipyourcar.com/pages/videos-tutorials). Feel free to ask me any other questions, I am no expert but I have done this a few times now and am getting the hang of it. Debating if I actually want to make a run at doing my rims next... Honestly I have found plasti dip to be very forgiving and very much a DIY type of thing.

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1175.JPG

OP
OP
djrobb

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No need to remove, you just tape off (included a few pics below) roughly an inch around whatever you want to plasti dip. Then put down the light first coat as prescribed and then I waited about 20 mins between coats doing 6 coats n total. The key I have found is to do the second coat onward fairly "wet" but not so wet that it drips or pools. Then let it dry for 45 mins to an hour after last coat and then you just peel off and it leave a perfect edge. If you want to see some very instructive videos, I learned by watching the ones on dipyourcar.com (https://www.dipyourcar.com/pages/videos-tutorials). Feel free to ask me any other questions, I am no expert but I have done this a few times now and am getting the hang of it. Debating if I actually want to make a run at doing my rims next... Honestly I have found plasti dip to be very forgiving and very much a DIY type of thing.

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1175.JPG
Ah, so you don’t tape around the oval, you go ahead and spray a rectangle knowing you will peel some plastidip off the paint. Do you need to run a razor blade around it before peeling or does the peel just naturally occur around the oval.

Wordiestdata

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Fiesta

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1175.JPG
Please tell me you covered the backup camera before spraying!!! :crackup::crackup:

VolRanger24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Ah, so you don’t tape around the oval, you go ahead and spray a rectangle knowing you will peel some plastidip off the paint. Do you need to run a razor blade around it before peeling or does the peel just naturally occur around the oval.
Peel occurs naturally. I peeled to early first time and it didn’t peel cleanly. Waited 55 mins second go and peeled perfectly.

VolRanger24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Please tell me you covered the backup camera before spraying!!! :crackup::crackup:
Haha turns out wasn’t needed. First time I taped over but second time (first time I peeled to early) I was frustrated and forgot. Turned out it was easy to just peel away and not worth the time taping off.

jsiedle1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew
That’s correct. I waited several days before taping over the black plastidip and doing the red. One piece of advice is to use lower quality masking tape. I used 3M painters tape and it pulled the plastidip up in a few small spots creating some rework. I’d recommend the cheap tan colored tape. It took 5 coats of red plastidip to cover the black and I applied them about 40 minutes apart.
Attempted this today, but the overspray was giving me a hard time. I couldn't just remove a small section of overspray because it didn't blend well. Do you think more coats fixes the overspray? Any other tips on applying this? Thx.

OP
OP
djrobb

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Attempted this today, but the overspray was giving me a hard time. I couldn't just remove a small section of overspray because it didn't blend well. Do you think more coats fixes the overspray? Any other tips on applying this? Thx.
Are you doing the oval or the side? I’ve always done at least 5 coats because you are essentially trying to add like a sheet of rubber. If you have enough coats and it’s fully dry it should peel off like a sheet. Where is the overspray you are having a problem with?

jsiedle1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you doing the oval or the side? I’ve always done at least 5 coats because you are essentially trying to add like a sheet of rubber. If you have enough coats and it’s fully dry it should peel off like a sheet. Where is the overspray you are having a problem with?
Fender gills. Overspray near the edges. Wanted to know if the extra coats mask the bubbles. Thanks.

VolRanger24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Fender gills. Overspray near the edges. Wanted to know if the extra coats mask the bubbles. Thanks.
It sounds like you may be going at this the wrong way. Are you trying to lay down an accent over top of plasti dip gills or are you just trying to plasti dip the entire gill(s)?

jsiedle1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It sounds like you may be going at this the wrong way. Are you trying to lay down an accent over top of plasti dip gills or are you just trying to plasti dip the entire gill(s)?
This is my first application of plasti-dip (ever) on the entire gill (applying to chrome, outside of the part that is already black)

VolRanger24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
This is my first application of plasti-dip (ever) on the entire gill (applying to chrome, outside of the part that is already black)
Got ya. Yea so key is to tape off about an inch or so away from the edge of the gill and lay down a light (50% coverage) first coat. Then (I wait 15/20 mins between coats) lay down 5/6 “wet” coats which mean wet enough for full coverage but not so wet that it drips or pools. You want to coat the entire gill AND the entire area you left unmasked. Then after last coat let it sit for an hour or so and then peel the masking and slowly peel of the plasti dip that’s on the truck. As you peel away it will naturally separate at the edge of the gill leaving a perfect edge and only the gill plasti dip’d. Here are a few picture of how I taped off my rear emblems. Don’t have pics from when I did gills but this will hopefully give the right idea. I think I have already posted these before but not sure where so apologies for those seeing these again. I need to probably start my own truck forum at some point...

594E0250-3767-4104-B493-2724444B5DA7.jpeg

FE40A3CF-1135-4EF7-8932-1FBCD152C204.jpeg

97EB7BE5-1339-4945-89B0-D34067DE2AAE.jpeg

374B4C8A-8715-4928-B2F0-3EA758A63F72.jpeg

A323414A-446B-465A-940A-A62F7F19AA8D.jpeg

jsiedle1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got ya. Yea so key is to tape off about an inch or so away from the edge of the gill and lay down a light (50% coverage) first coat. Then (I wait 15/20 mins between coats) lay down 5/6 “wet” coats which mean wet enough for full coverage but not so wet that it drips or pools. You want to coat the entire gill AND the entire area you left unmasked. Then after last coat let it sit for an hour or so and then peel the masking and slowly peel of the plasti dip that’s on the truck. As you peel away it will naturally separate at the edge of the gill leaving a perfect edge and only the gill plasti dip’d. Here are a few picture of how I taped off my rear emblems. Don’t have pics from when I did gills but this will hopefully give the right idea. I think I have already posted these before but not sure where so apologies for those seeing these again. I need to probably start my own truck forum at some point...

594E0250-3767-4104-B493-2724444B5DA7.jpeg

FE40A3CF-1135-4EF7-8932-1FBCD152C204.jpeg

97EB7BE5-1339-4945-89B0-D34067DE2AAE.jpeg

374B4C8A-8715-4928-B2F0-3EA758A63F72.jpeg

A323414A-446B-465A-940A-A62F7F19AA8D.jpeg
Thanks for the advice and pics. I popped the gills off with a trim removal tool. I will attempt the light coverage first. I'm so dissapointed I ebayed new emblems when I had a can of plasti-dip and could have done that a lot cheaper. Oh well.

OP
OP
djrobb

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Trying to dig up some pics of how I did mine. I popped off the “gills” and then used some extra vinyl i had to cover the center part that was already black. Could also just use making tape. I sprayed about 5-7 layers of plastidip over it and i did those layers 40 minutes apart. Each layer consisted of a pass or two in smooth strokes. When spraying i started outside the bounds of the target and then moved the can sweeping it in a smooth motion. The plastidip goes on kinda splotchy but over 30 mins it levels out and dries. This was all Matte Black plastidip. I waited a few hours then peeled off the masked area. I had a utility knife to carefully slice anything that needed it. This is basisally the same as spray painting. You are just spray painting rubber and you need to spray enough of it so that it dries as a peelable layer. It takes several days to fully cure and be peelable. Another way to remove is simply with Mineral Spirits and it comes right off if you can’t peel. There are also aftermarket sprays for removing it if desired. I think the way @VolRanger24 did it is better than mine but the end result is the same. Plastidip is very forgiving and it’s quite easy to essentially “erase” your project by peeling or removing the plastidip with spirits and starting over.

03E6CF9F-9A57-4719-A6F5-B2392CFA58BF.jpeg
627AB2A6-D57B-4E8C-89AD-3B183A0F418B.jpeg

Last edited:

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2
If it helps, here's a few pics of my first attempt to plastidip the gills. They were originally chrome.

DYC just came out with a new product called Hyperdip Shadow Black, which is supposed to be a deeper black, so I'm gonna try again soon.

IMG_20200306_175534.jpg

IMG_20200306_170106.jpg

IMG_20200306_165404.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: