First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Attorney
Diamond Antenna trunk mount. Simply remove the trunk lip portion of the mount and drill out the hole to fit the hinge bolts. Coax does not move and opening or removal of DiamondBack panels does not get in the way. Sometimes, the simple solutions are the best.

IMG_20210403_143803192_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210403_143814279_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210403_143853433.jpg
Sponsored

JRRangerAZ

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Diamond Antenna trunk mount. Simply remove the trunk lip portion of the mount and drill out the hole to fit the hinge bolts. Coax does not move and opening or removal of DiamondBack panels does not get in the way. Sometimes, the simple solutions are the best.

IMG_20210403_143803192_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210403_143814279_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210403_143853433.jpg
This is genius. Sorry... bunch of questions:
What bands are you covering with that antenna?
Is that your ground plane or are you using a half-wave antenna.
What's your SWR?
How did you route the coax into the cab?

I have the unpainted, diamond-plate Diamondback on my '20 and have been wondering to go a similar solution or spring for a 3rd tail-light method ( Antenna Mount 19-21 Ranger ).

Thanks!

OP
OP
MST Overland

MST Overland

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Attorney
This is genius. Sorry... bunch of questions:
What bands are you covering with that antenna?
Is that your ground plane or are you using a half-wave antenna.
What's your SWR?
How did you route the coax into the cab?

I have the unpainted, diamond-plate Diamondback on my '20 and have been wondering to go a similar solution or spring for a 3rd tail-light method ( Antenna Mount 19-21 Ranger ).

Thanks!
The diamondback is aluminum so I don't think you can get it to act as a ground plane. My shop told me it was not necessary on 2 meter or 70cm bands and I think he is correct as I get excellent signal reports even when I am dozens of miles away from our local repeaters. He advised to run a conductive ground strap to the side of the bed to ground it if needed. So far, this Diamond NR770 antenna has proven itself by giving me very strong, clear transmission on its own. Ran the wire through the hole in the bed rail and through the cabin vent behind the back seat (look behind the carpet next to the funnel mounted on the cab wall behind the seat). No drilling required.
I have no experience on any HF frequencies. This setup is to hit local repeaters while off-road, hiking, etc.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
The diamondback is aluminum so I don't think you can get it to act as a ground plane. My shop told me it was not necessary on 2 meter or 70cm bands and I think he is correct as I get excellent signal reports even when I am dozens of miles away from our local repeaters.
You are partly correct.

On 2-meters this is a 1/2 wave antenna and does not require a ground plane. On 70-cm it is a stacked 5/8 wave which does require a ground plane. Good news. The aluminum bed cover WILL work as a ground plane. It should work great on 70-cm and 2-meters will also benefit since the ground plane will bring the radiation pattern down closer to the horizon.

JRRangerAZ

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
The diamondback is aluminum so I don't think you can get it to act as a ground plane. My shop told me it was not necessary on 2 meter or 70cm bands and I think he is correct as I get excellent signal reports even when I am dozens of miles away from our local repeaters. He advised to run a conductive ground strap to the side of the bed to ground it if needed. So far, this Diamond NR770 antenna has proven itself by giving me very strong, clear transmission on its own. Ran the wire through the hole in the bed rail and through the cabin vent behind the back seat (look behind the carpet next to the funnel mounted on the cab wall behind the seat). No drilling required.
I have no experience on any HF frequencies. This setup is to hit local repeaters while off-road, hiking, etc.
Awesome... thanks!

I looked up the NR770 and ditto LoneRNGR's reply. I'm new to HAM and had to look up the aluminum issue. I found threads related to aluminum-bodied F-150's. Apparently, though aluminum is non-ferrous, it is conductive for purposes of RF (not electrical) ground.

I'm looking to install my Yaesu FT-8900R quad-band (10, 6, 2 and .70 meters) with a Diamond CR8900 antenna built to handle all four freqs. This antenna definitely requires a ground plane.

I already have a Comet RS-720 trunk-lip mount so I should be good to go. Now we both need to get our General licences. Thanks again!

OP
OP
MST Overland

MST Overland

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Attorney
You are partly correct.

On 2-meters this is a 1/2 wave antenna and does not require a ground plane. On 70-cm it is a stacked 5/8 wave which does require a ground plane. Good news. The aluminum bed cover WILL work as a ground plane. It should work great on 70-cm and 2-meters will also benefit since the ground plane will bring the radiation pattern down closer to the horizon.
So I guess they were only referring to grounding for purposes of interference, etc. I will look into this further. If aluminum serves as a good ground plane the diamondback cover should serve well for HF antennas too.

JRRangerAZ

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Antenna install

Parts:

Comet 3D4MB 4 meter (~13’) Cable w/PL-259 connectors (~$25.00)

Comet RS-720 Hatch/Trunk Lip mount (~$30.00)

Mount Modifications:

With a hacksaw remove the lip portion so the base is just a flat surface.

With a razor blade, pliers and Dremel w/cutoff wheel, remove the plastic paint protector surface and adhesive from the bottom of the base until it’s shiny, bare metal for good conductance.

Drill a 5/16ths hole in the base, centered left-to-right and 3/8ths inch from the edge. You’ll need a drill capable of handling hard metal. I used a Milwaukee Cobalt at low-speed.

Apply a thin coat of Dielectric Grease to the bottom of the mount base to inhibit corrosion.

Remove the Diamondback hinge bolt and nut from the centerpiece-side (not the lid-side) of the hinge where you want it installed. I used the passenger-side, rear lid and placed the mount so it can be folded near-flat toward the rear for lowest possible profile. Then reinsert the bolt and nut and tighten.

Cable routing

Route the cable in the gap between the center-piece and lid gasket, then under the bed-rail. Pass the connector through the gap between the bed-rail and forward bulkhead. The PL-259 connector barrel will just fit with a little finagling.

From inside the cab, lower the backseat’s seat-back. Lift the lower edge of the plastic trim beneath the rear-window to expose the large, round, button fastener in the upper-left corner. Using a forked, fastener removal tool (a set of these at Harbor Freight is about $10) pop the fastener out. Remove the other similar fastener in the lower-left corner. Pull the carpeting down and away from under the trim pieces to expose the vent screen.

There are four little catch-edge clips, two top and two bottom, integral to the screen. While holding on to the screen (I actually tied a short segment of wire to one of the grid elements, just in case), push the catches toward the center to release them. Being careful not to drop it in the gap between the bed and cab, push the vent screen out toward the bed and then angle it so you can pull it though the opening into the cab.

I used a Dremel sanding wheel to open up one of the vent openings wide enough, maybe an eighth of an inch, to pass the PL-259 connector through.

Push the cable into the bed-cab gap and angle it until you can pull through the vent opening from the cab-side. Leave a sag in the cable so any water won’t follow the cable into the cab.

Making sure the screen is faced properly, pass all the cable through the vent screen (but leave the sag). Then replace the vent screen in the bulkhead. Pass the cable through the vent opening in the carpeting. Put the carpet back in place, tucking the edges under the trim pieces, and then replacing the fasteners.

Raise the seat-back and lift the seat-bottom. I have the Weathertech floor mats that are one-piece and span the backseat floor so I just routed the cable under the mat, on top of the transmission tunnel and then alongside the driver’s inboard seat rail. To keep the cable from getting snagged in the seat-bottom latch I tucked it under the edge of the plastic bin.

I’ll cover the radio install, wiring and final connections in the next installment.

M0-MOUNTLABEL.JPG

M1-MOUNTABASEBOTTOM.JPG

M2-MOUNTATTACHMEDIUM.JPG

M3-MOUNTATTACHCLOSE.JPG

M4-MOUNTCABLEPATH.JPG

P0-CABLE_PATH.JPG

P1-CABLEENDPATH.JPG

P2-CARPETBACKVENT.JPG

P3-VENTDREMEL.JPG

P4-VENTCABLETHRU.JPG

P5-CABLEVENTCARPETPATH.JPG

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I'd like to put a Diamond Back on with a Headache Rack. 2/70 goes on TOP of the Headache and then 6/10M goes on the center of the Diamond Back

Pirate

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Bush Pilot
Diamond Antenna on the Diamondback. Great choices. I'm still rocking the Bulletproof third brake light mount but this looks like a great option too.

JRRangerAZ

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Diamond Antenna on the Diamondback. Great choices. I'm still rocking the Bulletproof third brake light mount but this looks like a great option too.
How did you route your cable? I looked into the Bulletproof Diesel set up but thought this thru-vent would be easier. Still considering a 3rd brake-lite for future antennas. (Larson also has a 3rd lite option.)

Pirate

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Bush Pilot
How did you route your cable? I looked into the Bulletproof Diesel set up but thought this thru-vent would be easier. Still considering a 3rd brake-lite for future antennas. (Larson also has a 3rd lite option.)
I routed coax through the brake light hole and across the headliner. Down to the doorsill, under carpet, pops out under the pax seat and into my radio. Honestly I'm not sure there is a better or more clean way to do it.

KA5CVH

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ka5cvh.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Inspector
Excuse me ... aluminum will make an excellent ground plane. Look at all the antennas made from aluminum if it won't work as a ground plane is sure as heck wouldn't work as an antenna

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Love it. I kinda regret putting my antenna on the roof. It is the best place to install an antenna, but even with a shorter antenna I hit my garage door and parking garage at work. If I could do it again id mount it on the hood with a lip mount.