benefits of colder spark plugs after tune

theanswer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Vehicle Showcase
hey guys, I bit the bullet and got a tune from unleashed. I love it and it has made the truck come alive, but I was wondering about the benefits of running colder spark plugs. Is it necessary, or recommended once you get a tune? Are there pluses and minuses? Just looking for some input. Thank you for your time.

https://unleashedtuning.com/ngk-spark-plug-1-heat-range-cooler/
Sponsored

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
The tuner should have input on this. Other than that, I think you need good old-fashioned plug inspections. Long-running rule of thumb is one heat range cooler for each 75-100 horsepower increase. Just hot enough to burn-off deposits is the target. If it's too hot, you can have pre-ignition, detonation, and rapid plug failure.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
While many tuners will recommend running a step colder plug when producing each 75-100 additional HP. This will not always be the case. You need to look at the normal operating conditions the engine is kept in. If say 98-99% of the time you're engine is in no to low boost condition as most daily drivers are, then a colder plug would possibly a detriment as it may not be able to maintain the correct temp range to burn off any possible carbon build-up. This in turn could/would create hot spots and thus lead to increased mis-fires and pre-ignition issues for example. So for most of the time you're actually better off running the stock heat range plug since it would maintain the proper operating temp to reduce fouling. Best thing to do is run the stock plugs, and check them regularly and see how things are progressing through a 2-5K mile range. If they are keeping clean then leave them be. If you see increased fouling then you may need to change the plugs heat range.

This article does a pretty decent job at explaining what benefits running a colder plug might be.

The take away from it is this.

For a stock car or even a car with full bolt-ons, running a colder plug isn’t going to benefit you much if at all. In fact, you’ll probably end up with more problems because the plugs will foul and cause mis-fires. You will see people reporting smoother revs or better idle after switching plugs, but this is most likely due to just being fresh plugs with correct plug gap and/or plug design differences and not so much from the heat range. These perceived benefits will soon fade...

As always, if your tuner recommends you go with a colder plug, then you should listen. For a stock car, or even a full bolt-on, you’re not going to see any benefits, so don’t waste your time or money.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I would stick with stock plug for a tune only. Big turbos or meth injection or extreme e85 tuning is where I would worry about plugs.

Like Porpoise Hork said 99% of the time you are just going to be cruising around. The stock plug is more than enough for the times you goose it with the tune.

BTW the ecoboost eats plugs like candy, atleast the 3.5 does. 30-40k is all you get and the gap opens up like the grand canyon.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I agree with everyone here. I have a tune from Livernois and they didn't say that I would need a different plug but they do mention that if i add anything(intake, exhaust, intercooler when one becomes avalible) they will reset the tune for optimal performance. Other than that you should be fine with stock plugs.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folk,

If you do not understand the reasons or benefits of colder plugs, refer to your tuner's recommendations. I have seen so many folks that "hotted" up their Ford and complain of driveability. Reason...too cold plugs for the vehicle. Many folks want to say "I have racing plugs installed" Not racing....avoid...you risk making your vehicle less than satisfactory. Many of my fellow racers in the stock classes drove to the track, changed out their spark plugs for the race and then reinstalled the street plugs for the drive back home. Driving around on cold plugs that can fowl out is not a solution and how many of you with a tune are not using the tune only on the track? Likely not many.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Hi Folk,

If you do not understand the reasons or benefits of colder plugs, refer to your tuner's recommendations. I have seen so many folks that "hotted" up their Ford and complain of driveability. Reason...too cold plugs for the vehicle. Many folks want to say "I have racing plugs installed" Not racing....avoid...you risk making your vehicle less than satisfactory. Many of my fellow racers in the stock classes drove to the track, changed out their spark plugs for the race and then reinstalled the street plugs for the drive back home. Driving around on cold plugs that can fowl out is not a solution and how many of you with a tune are not using the tune only on the track? Likely not many.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I have to agree with you on this. I didnt think about the issue of plugs fouling out and it makes sense. And yes I am one of the Many that dont go to the track, and my truck hits the lovely Colorado Passes and off road trails.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Just piling on here, but colder plugs aren't going to be a real-world benefit without other significant mechanical upgrades. And coil packs.

I had contemplated upgrading the ignition coils after I read a member suggesting the Accels solved a low-speed stumble. The jury is still out on how they might do anything for an otherwise stock 'tuned' truck.

RRRANGERXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RACE RED RANGER XLT, 2021 TESLA MODEL Y
But my ford racing tune for my focus st came with colder plugs. Maybe that 2.0 is really working it is 24 lbs of boost. I’ll be buying the ford performance calibration for my ranger too. Want to keep my warranty.
Sponsored