First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX FX4, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Yes
Hey all - what is the right way to connect the pos & neg leads to the battery for an aux light? Right now I'm wired straight to the battery.

I added a Diode Dynamics 18" light bar below the grill of my truck and wired the power directly to the battery terminals. But there is a lot going on from the factory around that positive terminal and the owners manual states not to connect the neg directly to the battery to avoid messing with the BMS. I couldn't find any info in the manual about all those connections under the red dust cap on the positive side. [My previous vehicle was a 99 Jeep Cherokee which lacked any 'sophisticated' postive terminal setup.]

I don't plan to add any other electrical accessories so I don't need wireless switch relays or anything like that (though I will never run another wire through the firewall grommet - that was awful). Bonus points if there is an easy connection that times out with the lights or only works with the key on.

Thanks!
2020 Ranger battery connections.jpg
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
If you’re powering a light bar you should use a fuse tap and pull your positive from that. You should use a relay in your setup. So load side, lights and signal side is your switch.

AndyMedic

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paramedic
Never use the battery terminal after the 225 amp fuse. If you blow that, you lose all electronics. Ask @AndyMedic how he knows...

Run one of the other posts on the positive side of the battery and install a fuse close to there.
he’s not wrong. It’s not fun. 1 star would not recommend. Definitely use a different post.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Thanks to the BMS you want to have the ground on the Chassis. Not directly on the negative post of the battery. As for the power a relay setup is always great with a fuse. It may be possible that the power feeding the light(through the relay) can be connected on the positive battery connector, but not after the 225 amp fuse. You will want it on the post behind it(up in the picture). As for the control side of the relay still use a chassis ground and use a fuse tap. A fuse tap makes the job reversible.

OP
OP
randomXY

randomXY

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
Thanks for the input - wiring is definitely not my wheelhouse. I used the wiring harness that came with the Diode Dynamics light bar which does have a relay and 30 amp fuse.

Good to know about the 225 amp fuse - I had no idea. Realized I circled the wrong Pos connection post in the image, corrected to show where I've actually got it connected which I believe is before the fuse (corrected image attached).
2020 Ranger battery connections.jpg

Not familiar with fuse taps. Examples I found online show connections to fuses lower than 30 in the cab (not the second fuse block in the engine bay). The wiring harness had a pre-wired switch which I already dismantled the dash to install :lipssealed:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Again with the ground you do not want to go directly to the negative post. Go to the chassis for ground only. If you do not it can mess with the computers in the vehicle

OP
OP
randomXY

randomXY

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
Thanks again for the help. This is what I've ended up with for battery connections. Positive connection before the 255 amp fuse and negative behind the BMS module. This is a far as I could separate the leads without needing to splice in additional wire. The harness came with a relay and 30 amp fuse already.

light bar battery connection.jpg

For anyone interested, this is their Stage Series LED 18" Lightbar Kit. I also swapped the factory fog lamps for their yellow plug & play Elite Series Fog Lamps. Both items were Christmas gifts from my wife last year (after I chose, ordered and gave them to her to wrap).

Diode Dynamics lights.jpg