Awning solutions for softopper?

Illking

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XL
anyone have ideas that don't include roof racks or bed frames? the best solution i can come up with is a moonshade with suction anchor on front of truck / roof and then rigging a buckle anchor to the soft topper or rolling up canvas to expose the soft topper frame and rigging an anchor directly to that?

https://moonfab.com/products/moonshade
Sponsored

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
I know they're not as cool, but we use an inexpensive 10 x 10 pop up canopy. I can pop it up myself in a minute or two. Swing the canopy fabric over the top before you extend the legs. Extend legs and Bob's your uncle. Shade you can drive away and come back to (if any wind, quickly take down the nylon canopy fly).

The best spots to hang out aren't always two inches away from the hot sheet metal of your truck. We often re-orient, quickly and easily, the popup canopy depending on sun. You can park it right next to your rig, or not.

Might be your best option with a Softtopper.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I know they're not as cool, but we use an inexpensive 10 x 10 pop up canopy. I can pop it up myself in a minute or two. Swing the canopy fabric over the top before you extend the legs. Extend legs and Bob's your uncle. Shade you can drive away and come back to (if any wind, quickly take down the nylon canopy fly).

The best spots to hang out aren't always two inches away from the hot sheet metal of your truck. We often re-orient, quickly and easily, the popup canopy depending on sun. You can park it right next to your rig, or not.

This was gonna be my suggestion as well.

Can also be used for emergency hail protectection if caught in a storm.

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health

That's right. You can also set this up, then erect your tent under it in inclement weather to keep yourself and your tent dry while doing so. You can park under it to fix something with shade or rain protection. You can set it over a picnic table at a 'paid' campsite, that is probably 20' away from the pavement pad you parked your vehicle on.

I'm not an old man, but I've car camped a billion times and know that 'overlanding' is just car camping at the end of the day. The compulsion to tie every last camping accoutrement to your truck is... odd and inconvenient. Look at my kitchen slide out! I have to keep it all at the truck, no matter what the camp site condition entails! Look at my tent, its on top of my truck! I can't leave my site and come back to it! Look at my shower.. yes, tethered right up against my truck! I'm going to poop next to my truck too because I paid for a $400 curtain! I like being two inches from my truck at all times!

Anyway, its weird.

OP
OP
Illking

Illking

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XL
Yah theres a million ways to do it. We used to camp in a Sportsmobile, it was very "overlandy" if you will, however I loved it for the space savings. Everything had a place and every place had a thing :) yet it was all very functional. In the ranger the bed and cab fill up extremely quick with a dog and a kiddo. EZ ups don't pack down very small so my draw to shade mounted to the rig is for space and weight savings. definatly appreciate the portability of shade with an EZ up and shelter from poor weather is a plus for sure but we are mostly camping BLM in southern CA so weather is mostly sun :sun: Could probably pick up a used EZ up cheap thats another bug plus ?

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired

I second this idea FWIW and I admit not much

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

What a great idea. I am buying this for when I’m at the cottage - vulnerable to hail there. Also, those pesky maple keys. ?

OP
OP
Illking

Illking

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XL
I picked up a lightly used Moonshade for a good deal. Couldn't get a good mount with the included large suction cups for the roof due to the ribbing in the body but was able to rig to the support bars on our soft topper. Not 100% in love with it but I do like how compact it packs up.
F0ACCD9C-8EA9-4E50-8B80-70498852C488.jpeg
Sponsored