Auto Stop / Start

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
When I want to disable ASS (fitting acronym eh?) I just flip the shifter into Sport.

More convenient to me than reaching up to push the button.

I wish there was an easier way to disable traction control.

When pulling into the road at an odd angle with traffic coming, if a tire slips even a little bit the traction control kills power to the point of bogging. Just what I want when a soccer mom is bearing down on me while checking her phone.

I'd much prefer spinning the tires a bit and keeping the power up.

HighCaliberMitch

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLTSC FX4/Sport
Apparently they found, at Ford, that test users enjoyed hitting a series a of buttons before driving as if we all had fantasies of driving a helicopter simulator.

Traction control is for safety, but it does so at the cost of automatically braking, which hits mpg and power.

BeachRanger19

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab Ingot Silver
The start stop feature is no problem for me or my wife.
Our 2019 Rabbit GTI is the same set up as the Ranger so we do the same driving either.
Remote start or not, we push start/stop then push disable start/stop. Put vehicle in gear, drive.
It becomes habit after a while and if you forget the vehicle reminds you the first time you stop ??

Reactions: Doc

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Am I the only one that likes the Auto Start / Stop?

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4

Edibrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Probably not the only one but definitely one of the few.
Actually it's more likely the opposite. People are more likely to post to forums when they have complaints or issues. Like the posts where something breaks and sets a check engine light. The poster will ask if anyone knows what's wrong before taking the under warranty vehicle to a dealer or scanning the code.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The Mileage and power are in reference to the traction control. Im setting my truck up for drag racing, and you can’t get a good launch with the traction control on.. (see mustang 6g forum) Note: I’m 2wd and launching with a rear locker...brake boost@ 2500 rpms, water burnout, 25 lbs air in rear tires..as for mileage around town, 22 mpg sport mode only, 20.9 with traction control on.. I have not ever used the stop start function. These are just my observations.
1/4 mile
ET 13.6 @99 mph
Regards
LOL!
13.6 seconds and 99 mph is fantastic!
My 2020 Lariat is bone stock and I've already embarrassed a few Taco drivers at stoplight "derbies", but then again, I could probably do the same with my 173K mile '02 CR-V with a 2.0 four banger and a 4 speed slushbox...:shock:

Reactions: Doc

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
Actually it's more likely the opposite. People are more likely to post to forums when they have complaints or issues. Like the posts where something breaks and sets a check engine light. The poster will ask if anyone knows what's wrong before taking the under warranty vehicle to a dealer or scanning the code.

Within my immediate family and employees there are 11 fords with auto start stop. Out of those 11 only 1 person doesn't mind it. The rest can't stand it and have all complained at one point or another about it. None of them are members of forums.

Until I bought the Ranger I was unaware it could be disabled so we all lived with it. I have now disabled it on all but 3 vehicles (they are worried about warranty issues). At my wife's job they have now disabled it on all road vehicles after she explained that there was a way.

This isn't a fault with the vehicle, its a feature. People aren't going to go looking on a forum to ask "what's wrong" with a feature meant to increase mpg's.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Apparently they found, at Ford, that test users enjoyed hitting a series a of buttons before driving as if we all had fantasies of driving a helicopter simulator.

Traction control is for safety, but it does so at the cost of automatically braking, which hits mpg and power.
Ford, as well as other manufacturers had to do something about CAFE regulations, so they plopped the "ASS" system onto their customer's laps.
Highly doubtful if they upgraded the starting system components on those vehicles equipped with it.
Disabling it was the very first mod I did to my 2020 Lariat, matter of fact the truck had been in my posession for just 2 days when ASS was "exorcised".
Bloody thing sure pushed my "buttons", spend an hour in stop and go traffic with it enabled and I think you'll agree.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
LOL!
13.6 seconds and 99 mph is fantastic!
My 2020 Lariat is bone stock and I've already embarrassed a few Taco drivers at stoplight "derbies", but then again, I could probably do the same with my 173K mile '02 CR-V with a 2.0 four banger and a 4 speed slushbox...:shock:
Yes mine is stock with muffler delete and unleashed 93 octane tune..
Regards