Are Tailgate Dampeners Frowned On Around Here?

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
They didn't have the internet either but here you are :wink::crackup:

I like mine, I can have my hands full, pop the handle with one finger and let go without that BANG. Plus, not knocking women here but some have tendency not to know that the gate just drops and let it go BANG, kind of like us guys and dropping the toilet seat.

Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Best? Not if it's something he doesn't want. You understand that, right?

It's great that Ford didn't put these on the trucks at the factory. Some folks are frugal and don't want all the bells and whistles. Ford understands that.... and that's why there is an XL, a XLT and a Lariat. Choices are good.
I think you will see when the Ranger is re-designed it will have the integrated damper in the rear tail light like the F150 and almost every other truck out there now. This will be one of there "hey look we added this" features but then they'll probably take something else away that we all liked like the tilting rear headrest or the Ranger embossed front seats that are now gone.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I think you will see when the Ranger is re-designed it will have the integrated damper in the rear tail light like the F150 and almost every other truck out there now. This will be one of there "hey look we added this" features but then they'll probably take something else away that we all liked like the tilting rear headrest or the Ranger embossed front seats that are now gone.
And that's why tail lights cost $1200 each.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
And that's why tail lights cost $1200 each.

I'm not positive but I thought the BLISS was why we has $1,200 tail light? Either way I would just about guarantee the damper will be standard on the next Gen Ranger.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Just scrolling through some random posts and I seem to be picking up some disdain for tailgate dampeners. Is that my imagination or are they frowned on?

Personally, I wish I had them just because of experiences at work. I had both an unmarked Ford Ranger and an unmarked Ford F-150 for work. I loved them, but my lieutenant would crack open my tailgate all the time so that it would fall when I drove away. I hated that!!!!
I and many others chose not to get one. But so many people on this forum thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread that we started making jokes about it. There was a thread around here a while back. Some of the jokes were awesome! But unfortunately, it made some people feel bad so the thread was shut down.

But the truth is most people didn't care deeply one way or the other except for 1 or 2 that got offended. I came out of that knowing my audience around here a little better and not being such a jokester.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I and many others chose not to get one. But so many people on this forum thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread that we started making jokes about it. There was a thread around here a while back. Some of the jokes were awesome! But unfortunately, it made some people feel bad so the thread was shut down.

But the truth is most people didn't care deeply one way or the other except for 1 or 2 that got offended. I came out of that knowing my audience around here a little better and not being such a jokester.
Sorry I missed it!

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase

It's great that Ford didn't put these on the trucks at the factory. Some folks are frugal and don't want all the bells and whistles. Ford understands that.... and that's why there is an XL, a XLT and a Lariat. Choices are good.
Don’t think I care what you th8nk. So have a great day.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not positive but I thought the BLISS was why we has $1,200 tail light? Either way I would just about guarantee the damper will be standard on the next Gen Ranger.
And yet, the Neanderthals turn all the safety aides off and feel like they’ve accomplished something. Only to be driving up insurance premiums through their accidents for those of us who have and use them!

Deleted member 1634

Installed mine today. Hardest part was finding a T-50 Torx bit. My set only went up to T-40. That took 5 days, since I had to wait for a work buddy to drop it off. Once I had all the tools, it took probably 10mins.

Wasn't going to get one since the tailgate is so light and I don't care if it bangs down. But once I got the topper, I figured I'd add it just so it matches the smooth opening of the rear window. More of an OCD "everything should work the same" sort of thing. haha

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
After reading this thread, I guess I need one for the toilet seat ???:crackup:

Beware....If the seat is up and you REALLY need to go #2 with the dampened seat you're toast! :LOL: ?

Last edited:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
After reading this thread, I guess I need one for the toilet seat ???:crackup:
Quiet Close Toilet Seat

The perfect match for the tailgate damper.

The damped lid in my master bath has LED illumination for better aim during those late night excursions.

I wonder if I can get LEDs for the tailgate damper? ?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
For $39,99 at DeeZee it’s one of the cheapest, quickest and Best adds you can do! You’ll be glad you did so you may want to reconsider your sequence if upgrades!

Don’t think I care what you th8nk. So have a great day.
Th8nk Ewe

And yet, the Neanderthals turn all the safety aides off and feel like they’ve accomplished something. Only to be driving up insurance premiums through their accidents for those of us who have and use them!
Facts are sometimes inconvenient things. Might be different in Florida, but here in Colorado the number one cause of accidents is distracted driving. That's from the techies playing with their technology, not the neanderthals that don't have the technology.

I'm not positive but I thought the BLISS was why we has $1,200 tail light? ...
True..... But the non BLISS are $345.. how is that even possible? I'm betting they have less than $20 in them?

Lamp Assy Rear XL.jpg

Last edited: