Anyone ever run AZ 88 Apache Junction to Roosevelt Lake?

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Just curious what your experience taught you.
Sponsored

Fjsteven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Sport
Went in the summer. Taught me that the stock Hankook tires were a joke on dirt. It was hot and you can take that trail in any car. It was crowded too. Decent restaurant at Tortilla Flats. There are some areas you need to slow down and navigate the ruts but nothing challenging. Overall it’s more fun than taking the highway to the lakes.

Bart

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT supercrew fx4
Occupation
Software engineer
Have done a ton of "spirited driving" out there in my miata at night, the 88 eventually killed that car, like it has many others. I have lots of pics of said incidents haha. Anyway road is still closed past tortilla flats right now.

Bart

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT supercrew fx4
Occupation
Software engineer
The road beyond the end of the tarmac got destroyed by rainfall a couple of months ago.

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
RETIRED FORD ELECTRONIC/DRIVEABILITY TECH
Vehicle Showcase
:clap:Canyon Lake is phenomenal!!! And really COLD beer , at Tortilla Flats:beer:

Enjoyed the Senator Highway, between Prescott and Crown King even more, tho

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
As we left this AM to head out to Roosevelt, wife informed me that 88 was closed. We took the paved road up the Bee Line and back down through Punkin Center and to Tonto Basin. The tonto Monument was having "Heritage Days" where it was free to get in and they were allowing hikers up to the upper level cliff dwellings. A once a year thing. Pretty cool and glad I got to go do that. Still wish I had gotten the tires on some real dirt though.

Last edited:

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
late reply but... It's a easy off road drive. A subaru with minimal ground clearance could do it. Between the fires and land slides its been closed a few times this summer. I've driven the Four Peaks trail to Roosevent and take 88 back.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I did it when I first moved here in my Tacoma. Great scenery all the way up to Roosevelt Dam which looks like a mini Hoover Dam.

Canyon Lake:

IMG_2314.JPG

IMG_2317.JPG

IMG_2318.JPG

Tortilla Flats:

IMG_2323.JPG

IMG_2322.JPG

Roosevelt Dam:

IMG_2340.JPG

IMG_2344.JPG

IMG_2346.JPG

Reactions: R_B

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Did it in a rented Ford Escape around 10 years ago, awesome road! Also did Schnebly Hill rd earlier in the trip in the same Escape :)
How in the world did you do Schnebly Hill Rd in an Escape? It must of been a lot smoother back then because we did it last year in my Ranger and I'm still waiting for my kidney to drop back into place!The top part coming off the highway wasn't bad but after about 4-5 miles in it became nothing but a rutted, rocky spine jarring ride.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
For some reason the road was never paved. To many stupid drivers on the weekends. Fishook hill was the worst. Dirt road carved out of the side of a cliff wall, no guard rail. I only did it once with a camper and a boat. Never again.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
How in the world did you do Schnebly Hill Rd in an Escape? It must of been a lot smoother back then because we did it last year in my Ranger and I'm still waiting for my kidney to drop back into place!The top part coming off the highway wasn't bad but after about 4-5 miles in it became nothing but a rutted, rocky spine jarring ride.
Road was much better years ago when USFS actually maintained Schnebly Hill Rd. Same for Dry Creek Rd. Easily done with an SUV rental back then.
Sponsored