Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Found this on Bronco 6G

https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-i-saw-at-the-2021-ford-bronco-assembly-plant-1847101344

Here's What I Saw At The 2021 Ford Bronco Assembly Plant

Ford invited me to watch workers assemble the Ford Bronco at Michigan Assembly near Detroit

Words and photos by David Tracy

56f4e5bb200139d7159d7d7f4f065598-png.png

“Hey man, I know it’s late notice - but how does your 10am look?” a representative from Ford Motor Company texted me on Sunday night. FoMoCo wanted to show me the exciting new Ford Bronco being assembled at the Michigan Assembly plant in Wayne, Michigan. I wasn’t about to miss out.

I entered the north entrance of the former Ford C-Max and Ford Focus plant, and watched as the Bronco and its platform mate, the Ranger, slowly skated along the enormous factory’s moving floor. The press event was informal and small; Ford just wanted a few journalists to see that the exciting new Bronco was finally rolling off the line, as the brand planned to announce the start of production the following morning (today).

It was awesome. Assembly plants are magical places, filled with diverse workforces, incredibly specialized tools, strictly-followed (and fascinating) processes, and an unbelievable number of cars and car parts that are all in precise motion, ultimately heading towards the exit.

Here’s a look at what I saw during my short visit. These freshly-painted body shells are beautiful. I love that specialized jig that holds the gas filler door in the driver’s window opening:

22a0f02c0631df43937f384e99b8c57d-png.png

973834ee6a3997670eed3d5d3544d2ef-png.png

973834ee6a3997670eed3d5d3544d2ef-png.png

The bodies — each mounted on large longitudinal stand-in frames — drop down via an elevator, then slide forward, and then progress laterally in a big line of bodies.

8c3cd1c98b45d8696349306e4a24b048-png.png

Here are some Broncos undergoing what appeared to be some sort of electrical systems test. I watched as techs interacted with a screen while windows, lights and wipers activated.

cdd04f5b2e766e68f0f3e5a1b33bf6c1-png.png

This blue Bronco was undergoing some sort of four-wheel dynamometer test, presumably to test the powertrain and drivetrain:

cad427ee002206ca8e3ab9679fdea583-png.png

Doors, held by special orange rigging, marched along the elevated catwalk:

cccaa4ecdd75f6b37525eb07a527576b-png.png

Here’s an operator holding what looks like a calibrated torque wrench meant to precisely snug down threaded fasteners:

7647e6097464bac9f2b0fc31f4f379de-png.png

Note the fender protector that allows for assembly while keeping the bodywork in tip-top shape:

76cf22231700cbadf0d64c71f4ac1e78-png.png

A conveyor belt brought this seat to its vehicle at precisely the right time. Modern manufacturing plants rarely have stockpiles of parts sitting at each station. The components arrive when they’re needed.

816d1b238aa3db06b7fda2d01007181f-png.png

Here’s a plant employee, Kirt, who owns roughly a dozen old Ford Broncos, and who — of course — has a new one on order. Ford made him available to journalists as a way to highlight that employees “walk the walk” and are passionate about the products they build. It’s a classic PR move, but I’m glad I got to talk with him. I could tell immediately that Kirt is a wrenching machine, and as one myself (no doubt much less skilled than Kirt), I’ve got respect for his ability to keep so many old Broncos on the road.

4e6958515405573af55b89e362fb1405-png.png

Here are some Broncos going through the final inspection station:

b0fe4e7826fda6e5849e3f2f26df8f89-png.png

And here are some completed builds. The two door looks amazing:

bd1619f9d12256dff6c99d0ed1326e12-png.png

And here are a few other random shots from my brief, but fun plant tour:

35a64607472498b10e3c9ed25bef915d-png.png

5188372f0d0e83326d2d8828fcecf5c6-png.png

60f54b595d4597114dbfbc851a895d11-png.png

a98a33945d627f4971eaa506d8727fa1-png.png

3df1c5d8fa52195e812d9e5e05744748-png.png

I’ll be driving the Bronco later this month. I’m beyond excited. The only time I’ve been this amped about driving a vehicle for the first time was before reviewing the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL, and I helped engineer that thing.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Some more good news courtesy of a Bronco 6G member who has inside info.

While I'm sure it's little solace to those with early reservations and still no VIN, yesterday's announcement was a huge step forward in Bringing Back Bronco. While there is a LOT to be excited about, it's worth tempering our expectations a bit a lot of yesterday's info.

Production:
- MAP is currently pushing out about 125 a shift, and that will swell to 150 a shift by Friday. The next stepped target increase will be 200 per shift, but don't look for them to ramp up to that too quickly. MAP has a sterling reputation for quality and management won't sacrifice that for speed.
- Bronco's body shop (remember that Bronco and Ranger have fully separate body shops that "Y" feed onto one final assembly line) hit over *300* bodies completed during a single shift yesterday, a major milestone in getting the entire operation up to full speed. Body won't be pushing out these numbers consistently until Final Assembly can keep up, but the systems are working.
- With 125,000 reservations converted to orders, we could be looking at late Q2 2022 for completion of reservations as long as no other major constraints pop up. Earlier estimates were mid- to late-Q3.
- There was understandably a lot of enthusiasm yesterday when the early production stats showed 35% of rigs produced up to that point were 2-door models. However, please understand that this ratio was skewed by production of the dealer demo units (many of which were 2 doors). 2-door production will remain constrained by roof issues. See below.

Constraints:
- Roofs. While Tow, Squatch, and Lux packages are running a bit behind demand, the MIC hardtop remains the biggest constraint in getting your rig. Webasto's Plymouth plant is fairly well staffed now with training ongoing, but the pace of MIC tops built by Ford employees (mainly coming from Flat Rock) over their shut down won't be matched for a while. Expect 2 door MIC tops to lag behind 4 door MIC tops for the summer.
- In a bit of good news for the 2-door crowd, the floorpan issue has been addressed to satisfaction.
- I have not heard a completely firm answer on the MY22 mod tops, but it's looking more likely that they'll come out of Plymouth as originally planned instead of trying to get a new supplier moving this late in the game. With Ford's continued presence at that plant, I'm optimistic that this is the better course of action.

The Bronco Brand:
- Conquest results of both Sport sales and Bronco 2/4dr reservations is widely outpacing targets, showing strong proof of concept in the 3-model launch portfolio. Warthog's announcement isn't too far off, and I expect we could see the next member of the Bronco family debut in the next 18 months (even if in concept form).
- The bespoke "Bronco" showroom options - developed by Ford at the request of dealers - will play a part in the brand's second wave of growth as first wave deliveries wrap up. I can't say too much more, but these will be much more than upfitting and accessory displays.

Going Forward:
Things are really moving now. If you're an early reservation holder who didn't defer to MY22 for the mod top, you should be hearing something in the next few weeks of scheduling. If you had an order (mostly 2 doors) pushed from June to July to August, there's hope that you'll be pulled back forward once roof supply picks up a bit. The last wave of delays was more of a "worst case scenario" to avoid even more disappointment. I would expect targets and dates from here on out to be sandbagged a bit in the hope of overdelivering.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
New video showing the Broncos finally rolling off the assembly line and also a bit of history of MAP. Watching this I now want mine more now than ever! ?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
New video showing the Broncos finally rolling off the assembly line and also a bit of history of MAP. Watching this I now want mine more now than ever! ?

HI Dave,

Way cool....I was in and out of Michigan Truck in the days when this video was taken...I had a Maroon Bronco just like in the picture. It was a B plan purchase, A vehicle slated for prototype but not ever used. Had about 15 miles on the odo. I "tagged" the vehicle and I found Executive VP Lou Ross wanted the vehicle, but I was first. I was told to release the tag. I decided to stand my ground and got a call from World Headquarters to tell me that I was on exceedingly thin ice even if I was with in the rules...release the tag. Lots pressure including from my Boss at the time. So I trundled down to Steve Ross, Lou's son who worked in suspension design. I asked him WTF??? He went home that night and at dinner sprung this on his father. Father, much to his credit, told his secretary to find another Bronco and let Phil have his tagged vehicle. I got a call from World Headquarters that the guy said....Schilke...I do not know how you did this...but the Bronco is yours... One of the most fun vehicles I owned... Top of the line with all the bells and whistles and cheap!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi Dave,

Coming down Route 66 today from the Lumberyard, wife and I in our Ranger spotted a Bronco Sport in the Right Hand lane. Wife fell in love with it... I sense the Lincoln Nautilus home in the garage sensed a disturbance in the Force....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
HI Dave,

Way cool....I was in and out of Michigan Truck in the days when this video was taken...I had a Maroon Bronco just like in the picture. It was a B plan purchase, A vehicle slated for prototype but not ever used. Had about 15 miles on the odo. I "tagged" the vehicle and I found Executive VP Lou Ross wanted the vehicle, but I was first. I was told to release the tag. I decided to stand my ground and got a call from World Headquarters to tell me that I was on exceedingly thin ice even if I was with in the rules...release the tag. Lots pressure including from my Boss at the time. So I trundled down to Steve Ross, Lou's son who worked in suspension design. I asked him WTF??? He went home that night and at dinner sprung this on his father. Father, much to his credit, told his secretary to find another Bronco and let Phil have his tagged vehicle. I got a call from World Headquarters that the guy said....Schilke...I do not know how you did this...but the Bronco is yours... One of the most fun vehicles I owned... Top of the line with all the bells and whistles and cheap!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Phil,

It's nice to be able to stick it to the higher ups once in a while huh. lol :like:

I always wanted a bronco but I like the first Gens and they ended up getting to big as each Gen came along. Then living back in MA it was hard to find a good older used one as they were usually beat to death or rusted out. They did make great plow trucks being short and small like they were it made getting in n out of driveways a breeze. That's why I was excited to see the made the new Gen 6 close to the original ones. Now the wait is on.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hi Dave,

Coming down Route 66 today from the Lumberyard, wife and I in our Ranger spotted a Bronco Sport in the Right Hand lane. Wife fell in love with it... I sense the Lincoln Nautilus home in the garage sensed a disturbance in the Force....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I saw my first Bronco Sport about a month ago in Surprise, I was at a light and it was coming the other direction. It was the new Area51 color and that color was really nice looking. I wasn't to much a fan of the Sport but I need to get a better look at it and see it up close.

I don't think I'd be running out trading in the Nautilus for one. Besides the Nautilus will be mad and it's much bigger and will come back and run right over that little Sport. ?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Last edited:

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
This could get me in serious trouble with my better half...time to stop looking at it. :lipssealed:
No worries, you probably won't be able to get one for 3 years.... unless you had one on order already, in which case, yeah, you're f-d

Added. Me, personally, I don't see what the attraction is, but I wasn't a Ford/Bronco guy, so I don't have the history. I also don't see how the size matches to the 6G, but perhaps it's perspective.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This could get me in serious trouble with my better half...time to stop looking at it. :lipssealed:
C'Mon Bryan just tell her Dave said you really needed a Bronco! :LOL:

Then run!! :shock:

No worries, you probably won't be able to get one for 3 years.... unless you had one on order already, in which case, yeah, you're f-d
Actually there are a few people who just put in their orders earlier this year (Jan & one was in April) who already have VIN's. If your order doesn't have any of the parts constraints you have a really good chance at getting it Technically without any delays even ordering today it's still possible to get one late '22 but chances are it would be a '23.

Last edited:

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Added. Me, personally, I don't see what the attraction is, but I wasn't a Ford/Bronco guy, so I don't have the history. I also don't see how the size matches to the 6G, but perhaps it's perspective.
No, nothing on order. As much as I like the looks of it, I'll stick with the Ranger - even if I could get one before the end of time.

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
C'Mon Bryan just tell Dave said you really needed a Bronco! :LOL:

Then run!! :shock:
Nope, not even gonna try it - she said I would be buried in my Ranger when I bought it...I'd like to think she meant years from now, not now. :LOL:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee