First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Ford's Tough-Bed has been in use on F-150's since 2008. Anybody have long term real world experience with the Ford factory applied spray in liner in regard to UV issues?

I read here about folks buying Line-X and paying extra for the UV Protection. Line-X states "Visible damage from intense UV rays can happen fast."
  • Other than turning gray over time, why pay the extra money?
  • Does the sun actually degrade the performance of the bed liner?
  • How many hours of sunshine does it take to affect the liner?
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Ford's Tough-Bed has been in use on F-150's since 2008. Anybody have long term real world experience with the Ford factory applied spray in liner in regard to UV issues?

I read here about folks buying Line-X and paying extra for the UV Protection. Line-X states "Visible damage from intense UV rays can happen fast."
  • Other than turning gray over time, why pay the extra money?
  • Does the sun actually degrade the performance of the bed liner?
  • How many hours of sunshine does it take to affect the liner?
I don't know if the LineX formulation has changed, but I had it on my old 2005 Ranger for 13 years - never a cover and it was parked outside its entire life. The bed was used hard - countless loads of dirt, gravel, barkdust and shoveling it all out of the bed. After 13 years and all that abuse, it still looked pretty good - it only had one spot that was damaged that I should have taken in (it was a small gouge on the edge of the tailgate). It wasn't as black as it was when I got it, but it still looked - and performed exceptionally well.