Any idea what this is?

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2
Does anyone know what this is sticking out from under my tailgate? It looks like it might be a part of the tailgate hinge, but don't think I've seen it on anyone else's Ranger. It's metal and doesn't budge when I try to move it so I don't think anything came loose. What do any of you fine folks think it might be? Have something like this sticking out from under you tailgate?

IMG_20200229_123407.jpg
Sponsored

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
I think that needs attention, it looks a part of the hinge or roller has come free and rotated outward. although i don't see anything quite like that on my tailgate, unless it's tucked in the hinge assembly somewhere.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I wonder if it’s something they put on the tailgate to avoid damage while they install it in the factory. It doesn’t look like something that should still be there.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know what this is sticking out from under my tailgate? It looks like it might be a part of the tailgate hinge, but don't think I've seen it on anyone else's Ranger. It's metal and doesn't budge when I try to move it so I don't think anything came loose. What do any of you fine folks think it might be? Have something like this sticking out from under you tailgate?

IMG_20200229_123407.jpg
Hi Chappy,

Is it possible to pull the tailgate and see if it is bolted or somehow attached? I have no idea of what it is or why it would be there. Does not seem to be part of any plant tooling as it looks like it would damage the paint... I wonder if it is just some piece of metal trapped by the tailgate and when you open it up it will fall out or become loose... Very weird!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department

IMG_20200229_123407.jpg
The only thing I can think of is that your tailgates right pivot plastic bushing has dislodged itself somehow.

20200301_053922.jpg

OP
OP
Chappy

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think that needs attention, it looks a part of the hinge or roller has come free and rotated outward. although i don't see anything quite like that on my tailgate, unless it's tucked in the hinge assembly somewhere.
Thanks, rooster. The tailgate doesn't seem to be hindered in any way. No popping, grinding or squealing and it's very smooth while lowering as I would expect. I'm definitely going to have the dealership take a look.

Hi Chappy,

Is it possible to pull the tailgate and see if it is bolted or somehow attached? I have no idea of what it is or why it would be there. Does not seem to be part of any plant tooling as it looks like it would damage the paint... I wonder if it is just some piece of metal trapped by the tailgate and when you open it up it will fall out or become loose... Very weird!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks, Phil. I'm not able to pull the tailgate, but it does seem attached. There's a very small gap between the edge of the metal piece and the paint and it have moved after opening and closing the tailgate several times.

The only thing I can think of is that your tailgates right pivot plastic bushing has dislodged itself somehow.

20200301_053922.jpg
Thanks, Mokume. It looks more like a metal bracket than a plastic bushing to me, but I dunno.

I'm gonna take it to the dealership next week to see what they know and will relay what they say/do about it.

Thanks again!
Chappy

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks, rooster. The tailgate doesn't seem to be hindered in any way. No popping, grinding or squealing and it's very smooth while lowering as I would expect. I'm definitely going to have the dealership take a look.

Thanks, Phil. I'm not able to pull the tailgate, but it does seem attached. There's a very small gap between the edge of the metal piece and the paint and it have moved after opening and closing the tailgate several times.

Thanks, Mokume. It looks more like a metal bracket than a plastic bushing to me, but I dunno.

I'm gonna take it to the dealership next week to see what they know and will relay what they say/do about it.

Thanks again!
Chappy
Bonus! it's actually a tailgating motorist ray gun!

OP
OP
Chappy

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bonus! it's actually a tailgating motorist ray gun!
Hahaha this actually made me laugh harder than I'd like to admit. Absolutely my kind of humor! Thanks!

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hahaha this actually made me laugh harder than I'd like to admit. Absolutely my kind of humor! Thanks!
What better way than to keep those pesky Tacomas, Canyons and Colorados where they belong in the back, some distance away from a Ranger?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

IMG_20200229_123407.jpg
Hi Chappy,

It is a McGuard Tailgate lock that has been misinstalled I just put one on today and ended up similar to your while installing and had to fumble a bit to get it correctly installed behind the tailgate flange.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Hi Chappy,

It is a McGuard Tailgate lock that has been misinstalled I just put one on today and ended up similar to your while installing and had to fumble a bit to get it correctly installed behind the tailgate flange.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil, Not to steal the thread but...I went to see the McGuard Tailgate lock but they don't have one for the 2019 Ranger. Where did you get yours?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, Not to steal the thread but...I went to see the McGuard Tailgate lock but they don't have one for the 2019 Ranger. Where did you get yours?
Hi Jim,

I ordered through Varsity Ford....other dealers charged outrageous shipping. It is for the 2019 Ranger. There was another thread with the part number. VKB3Z-18168-A

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Hi Jim,

I ordered through Varsity Ford....other dealers charged outrageous shipping. It is for the 2019 Ranger. There was another thread with the part number. VKB3Z-18168-A

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil. I'll look it up!

OP
OP
Chappy

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Chappy,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks, Phil! I think you're correct. I searched the product number you posted above and that seems to match. I'm going to have the dealership install it correctly tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
See, I told you it was a bonus item...lol!
I'd be sure to ask them for the key, or where they left it on the truck.
Sponsored