Another ram air option

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
Hi Fellow 5gers! I have a theory that the reason why the Roush / Mishimoto / AFE intakes all yield such lil HP increase compared to a K&N drop-in (which its interesting that’s what Ford feels is sufficient by including it with their tune package). It’s all about the radiator cowl. It’s the common denominator with all intakes. As far as the cowl goes from the scoop inlet towards the drivers side it narrows to a 0.75 in tall x 6.5 in wide slit. The the opening in the radiator cowl Itself to the grill upper area is roughly the same size as the airbox scoop inlet, but outside of the Velossatech scoop air is not being fed into the cowl area. It’s being sucked into the cowl area. There are also numerous holes in the hood itself where the turbo can draw more air volume from the engine compartment area. I theorize that’s why the rubber sealed area in the cowl extends all the way past the hood latch. At WOT the turbo needs a greater volume of air then what the primary opening in the radiator cowl can provide, but all the holes on hood plus openings around hood latch plus the primary opening are sufficient, but not optimal. Lot of nooks, cranies, twists, and bends to get air to the airbox scoop inlet. Now the cowl area does work to draw in cool air, but I feel the efficiency of it from an airflow perspective is a suspect hinderance to greater power.

When looking at the engine bay around the airbox, you cannot draw air from the fender area without drilling a massive hole and you can’t go beneath the airbox because the windshield fluid reservoir. This means the only other option is the headlight area. I discovered that when finagled into place, a 3” silicone 90 deg elbow can work to access the fresh air under the headlight area and behind the front bumper. Now it is perfect, no. The 90 at its max radius does oval down due to tolerances of the area, but it’s far better than how airflow works within the cowl area pre-airbox scoop. Before fabricating the ram air scoop using the fog light delete my truck came with, I drove the truck to test the intake temps first. Temps were within 4 deg of the factory radiator cowl feed and throttle response was noticeably improved. The custom pipe for the headlight feed was same length as the factory airbox scoop, but the difference was no airflow path rigamarole that is the radiator cowl area.

I decided to try the ram air feed for 2 reasons: foremost because I could for the fun of it and secondarily even if it didn’t work as a ram air setup I could still use it to fill the bumper area with even more fresh air to feed the custom airbox inlet pipe. Cool tidbit, when testing airflow with my leaf blower I found the hexagon pattern on the fog light delete helps to direct ambient air into the ram air inlet. I used my HS math to determine that all of the 13/32 holes equated to same area as a 3.8in diameter round pipe (pipe for the ram air is 3in FYI). I could feel air blowing freely into the airbox with leaf blower 2.5 feet away from truck bumper running low at 50-60 mph (lid off airbox for proof of concept test and air was pushing through the paper filter too when I added it to lower airbox). Also when the truck is idling high in the AM warming up I can feeling the air getting sucked in through the fog light grill. To those saying the back corrugated pipe of the ram air section is not ideal compared to a smooth aluminum pipe you are correct. But the section of aluminum pipe pre-airbox should help smooth that turbulence out.

Anyway, some food for thought and wanted to share. Thanks!!

07645C22-3E71-488B-AE78-2A433AEFB68E.jpeg
8F306AE7-06FC-4597-B37A-481073FD61DD.jpeg
F1D25D7E-1E52-4808-8FC2-6CC02BCBB0BF.jpeg
A26BA079-E935-4470-B441-1CBB1B778D7A.jpeg
F6A1B21A-F10C-4342-8156-FED8CACB25C9.jpeg
95649F65-55BB-4C35-86E7-ACBE504E01DE.jpeg
5B265A97-8C49-4E9A-93CD-826ACF394165.jpeg
E5B6C2D7-1307-48B3-B8A6-AFB136022014.jpeg
CFB92888-DD25-4FA7-A6FB-FFB71F20303B.jpeg
FD75CB09-4DC5-4641-B32F-802426F97E37.jpeg
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Not too shabby. Just don't drive through any high water with that. It'll suck up water into the intake, almost certainly fry the MAS airflow sensor as well damage the turbo compressor wheel. If it sucks in enough water it could also hydro-lock the engine and bend rods. Might look into adding a drain or syphon break hole a few inches above the inlet. This would prevent it sucking up a crap ton of water. I'd also recommend adding a baffle plate either at the inlet or in the filter box to prevent the filter from getting water logged from the road spray and sending water into the MAS airflow sensor when driving in the rain.

OP
OP
importfighter01

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not too shabby. Just don't drive through any high water with that. It'll suck up water into the intake, almost certainly fry the MAS airflow sensor as well damage the turbo compressor wheel. If it sucks in enough water it could also hydro-lock the engine and bend rods. Might look into adding a drain or syphon break hole a few inches above the inlet. This would prevent it sucking up a crap ton of water. I'd also recommend adding a baffle plate either at the inlet or in the filter box to prevent the filter from getting water logged from the road spray and sending water into the MAS airflow sensor when driving in the rain.
Good point, Porpoise. I guess should share that my truck is a 2wd XL and will see no water crossings as a city truck. It was a 4wd seeing off road I would not have opted for this ram air feed. I measured and would have to enter 3 ft of standing water to enter the inlet. I also run a paper filter due to extra road silt and the factory airbox has a water drain built into it already.

OP
OP
importfighter01

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good point, Porpoise. I guess should share that my truck is a 2wd XL and will see no water crossings as a city truck. It was a 4wd seeing off road I would not have opted for this ram air feed. I measured and would have to enter 3 ft of standing water to enter the inlet. I also run a paper filter due to extra road silt and the factory airbox has a water drain built into it already.
I also drilled drain hole into the rubber coupler post-grill too.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
These don't use MAF.

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
Nope for a fact it wouldn't work in this case. Mall crawlers=YES. However, great idea to get clean air in vs the small slit from the factory. In my case I will just leave well enough alone. But good photos of your modification for sure.

20200829_153429.jpg

OP
OP
importfighter01

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope for a fact it wouldn't work in this case. Mall crawlers=YES. However, great idea to get clean air in vs the small slit from the factory. In my case I will just leave well enough alone. But good photos of your modification for sure.

20200829_153429.jpg
Haha nice pic of your Ranger in action! I got the lightest Ranger made to go fast. Mid 13s would make me happy.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
These don't use MAF.
Huh, I thought they did. I mistakenly thought that there was MAF opposite/behind the air temp sensor on the turbo inlet pipe. Taking a closer look, I realize it's just a plugged port for possibly a resonance chamber pipe or something like that.

Sulli

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Automotive Interior Repair
Oh for sure. I have a tune and other mods just saying every lil bit helps.
Even with a tune and full bolts I doubt you’ll even hit a high 13. My best time with just a tune was 14.5.