Another GFB DV+ review

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Just installed the GFB DV+ on my Ranger which is also tuned and running a 93 octane Performance tune from 5-Star. I installed it with all of the provided springs to give a more progressive actuation (what they call a "Sport+" feel) and I must say that I am surprised at how noticeable the improvement is. The throttle is more linear and between-shift recovery is instant and smooth. I recommend it as a nice drivability upgrade as well as the added performance from near instant boost recovery. I lubed it well and plan on doing that once a year for preventive maintenance. I might even buy a back up in case any of the hard parts such as the plunger begins to noticeably wear as I plan on keeping this truck for quite a while.
Sponsored

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
Good to hear, that is exactly what I was hoping for. Mine came today so I will be installing after work

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Just installed the GFB DV+ on my Ranger which is also tuned and running a 93 octane Performance tune from 5-Star. I installed it with all of the provided springs to give a more progressive actuation (what they call a "Sport+" feel) and I must say that I am surprised at how noticeable the improvement is. The throttle is more linear and between-shift recovery is instant and smooth. I recommend it as a nice drivability upgrade as well as the added performance from near instant boost recovery. I lubed it well and plan on doing that once a year for preventive maintenance. I might even buy a back up in case any of the hard parts such as the plunger begins to noticeably wear as I plan on keeping this truck for quite a while.
For the backup, buy a turbosmart..
Regards

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
What do these things do for the engine?

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Only thing I noticed is that it needs re-lubing now and then.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
For the question about what does it do for the engine, if you wonder if there is a power increase then no. It helps with boost recovery after shifts or throttle tip in as compared to the stock BPV. This leads to a little more responsiveness. To the comment about sound, this is not the ricer vent to atmosphere until. It still uses the stock bypass tubing and is as quiet as stock. Maybe a little different sounding than stock due to how and when it bypasses, but like stock you cannot even hear it most times and must be really listening when you do. It is a drivability modification, nothing more. No Fast and Furious bulls**t for me...

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I put mine on for (hopefully) refinement in shifting and throttle under boost and durability of the stock wastegate. Once I get the tune from Unleashed hooked up I'm hoping it will really make the power train seem more fluid.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I put mine on for (hopefully) refinement in shifting and throttle under boost and durability of the stock wastegate. Once I get the tune from Unleashed hooked up I'm hoping it will really make the power train seem more fluid.
Exactly! More fluid. I was surprised it made that much difference, but shouldn't have been. In previous turbo builds I have found that a well designed BPV or BOV makes a ton of difference. Plus, when you turn up the boost you need to upgrade it, along with good wastegate control, to hold that boost steady.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Doc