Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Was going to put a few muted American Flags on my truck right below the side vents. Was told by a neighbor that indicates former military (I'm not former mil, just patriotic) and that it would be "theft of honor."

Theft of Honor is definitely not my goal and neither is passing myself off as mil / ex-mil.

Is that really a thing? Only Military or Ex-Military should use the muted flag? I'm pretty sure it's covered by the first amendment but also not looking to ruffle any feathers - especially of those who served.
Sponsored

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
I think your neighbor knowest not of what he speaks.

Falsely claiming awards or deeds, yea, not cool.

Displaying a flag?? Go for it!!

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Was going to put a few muted American Flags on my truck right below the side vents. Was told by a neighbor that indicates former military (I'm not former mil, just patriotic) and that it would be "theft of honor."

Theft of Honor is definitely not my goal and neither is passing myself off as mil / ex-mil.

Is that really a thing? Only Military or Ex-Military should use the muted flag? I'm pretty sure it's covered by the first amendment but also not looking to ruffle any feathers - especially of those who served.
Those of us who served swore an oath to defend the Constitution. Your neighbor is misinformed.

Dustoff262

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, black package
Your neighbor is an idiot. If you are concerned about his opinion, get the biggest flag you can get and mount it to your truck. Shut him up that way. You can express your opinion and feelings under the 1st Amendment. Its what we veterans swore to uphold and protect - your rights. Every American citizen has either served or had a relative serve in our armed forces. We are not as divided as some would want us to be. Honor the fallen, display the flag.
20200303_195445.jpg

Last edited:

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Fly it proud!

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase

No, it's a sign of Patriotism! If you put a indication of Rank, or Award that you didn't earn it would be "morally wrong", but not illegal unless you tried to benefit from it.
Just be sure to have them pointing in the right direction Left and Right sides are different. @BHunted has them displayed properly above.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

I am a Vet. Put the flag on anywhere and everywhere. I would not agree you have to be military to display the flag....

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Commie libtards serve and protect this country too, lest you forget in your deep see of cognitive dissonance.
Muted is not just about sorrow. Its subdued in uniforms and such for a reason. So if you're going to comment, use all the reasoning.

Further, for anyone and anything using the flag, flags are used wrongly in more manners than anyone thinks. Go look at the definition of flag etiquette and compare it to what is seen today... I'm not going into a teaching charade here or bad mouthing the members here.

Fly it if you got it!

Lone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Hot Pepper
Just be sure to have them pointing in the right direction Left and Right sides are different. @BHunted has them displayed properly above.
The flag is properly displayed with the stars upper left. Upper right is used on uniforms.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The flag is properly displayed with the stars upper left. Upper right is used on uniforms.
and even that is a fairly recent fad that you don't have to follow if you don't want to

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Here's how you display it on a VEHICLE. Do your research before acting like a know it all!
flagetiquette_decals.jpg

I’m sure you have seen the American flag displayed backwards in many places, like on cars, airplanes, and most notably on the right shoulder of soldier’s uniform. Why is this? Well it all has to do with the proper display of the flag.

When displaying the flag, the blue field of stars should always be in the highest position of honor. So if you are displaying the flag on a wall (horizontally or vertically) the blue field of stars will always be in the upper left. When displayed on a person or vehicle the FRONT is the highest position of honor.

Army Regulation 670-1 states, “the American flag patch is to be worn, right or left shoulder, so that “the star field faces forward, or to the flag’s own right. When worn in this manner, the flag is facing to the observer’s right, and gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward.”
backwards_flag.jpg

With a quick search on the internet you are sure to find some people who accept this explanation, but you will also find a handful of people who think there is only ONE way to display our flag – star field to the upper left corner – PERIOD… any other way is unpatriotic. What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments below!
Sponsored

Last edited: