After market Oil Filter's and such...FYI

svogt302

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Wix makes the "FoMoCo", (not Motorcraft) filter that come on most, if not all Fords from the factory. They used to be made by Champ Labs. Motorcraft Brand are mainly made by Purolator. However Mann/Hummel now owns both Wix and Purolator, so they could potentially interchange brands for logistical or production capicity etc. Not saying they have or will, but I would say it's possible.

STROKERDUSTER,
Thanks. Believe me not trying to start a filter war. That's why I didn't state the failed (Mazda 6) filter brand initially, but linked it instead. I have been using Wix/Napa 31348 on my 2.0 EB Edge. I think Wix is a great filter. I think the Purolator sourced Motorcraft are high quality too, especially and probably more so in the smaller sized 910, 400 & 500 filters. I would agree it's probably extremely rare for a filter to fail. But as you mentioned above, if I understand correctly, is that customer got burned simply because they had an aftermarket filter on?? Despite no proof that the filter in use at the time caused or let the metal shaving through to make the oil pump fail. That's kind of my point I guess. With a Motorcraft on, namely a 910S, there would or should be no controversy in the event of an oil related failure. I started this post, because I have seen people ask "will using a _______ oil/air filter void my warranty?"
I recall Purolator used to make many Motorcraft filters.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I recall Purolator used to make many Motorcraft filters.
Hi Tom,

Over the years, there are several manufacturers that have made filters for Ford Motorcraft brand. The key here is that the filter must meed Ford specifications. The same filter from the manufacturer under their brand may not meet the same specs. That is why I will always install filters that are Motorcraft.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know why but these are always my favorite threads! When I had my jeep that I traded for the Ranger, it was a new format/part# cartridge oil filter new to that model year. I enjoyed buying a sample of each oil filter that came out and comparing them for all the Jeep forums to see. The OE Mopar filter changed in subsequent part number revisions which was fun to see too.

In my Ranger I am sticking 910S for now but running MC 5w30 full synthetic as opposed to basic syn blend. If it doesn't hold up in the next ~9k mile OLM run out I will switch to one of the extended oils and do the same.

In some applications the Fram Ultra is the oil filter of choice. If that becomes proven by tear downs I would switch over the 910S. Otherwise I'm of the belief that MC is the best absolute quality and you pay half the "premium" aftermarket's cost.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Hi Tom,

Over the years, there are several manufacturers that have made filters for Ford Motorcraft brand. The key here is that the filter must meed Ford specifications. The same filter from the manufacturer under their brand may not meet the same specs. That is why I will always install filters that are Motorcraft.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Phil (or anyone else),
Do you know how to tell if aftermarket filters meet the Ford specs?

I ask, since I'm about to change to amsoil XL and their corresponding (non-Wix) filter.
I've used Amsoil or Mobil 1 full synthetic on my previous vehicles, although I change at regular intervals. (I understand that many say "normal" synthetic is fine :D )

Amsoil, in any case, says that normal filters (eg EOM Motorcraft) won't work as well for their oil.
I don't know how to tell if that just refers to normal filters not meeting lifespan (longer change intervals), and whether it meets Ford specs.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician

I ask, since I'm about to change to amsoil XL and their corresponding (non-Wix) filter.
I've used Amsoil or Mobil 1 full synthetic on my previous vehicles, although I change at regular intervals. (I understand that many say "normal" synthetic is fine :D )

Amsoil, in any case, says that normal filters (eg EOM Motorcraft) won't work as well for their oil.
I don't know how to tell if that just refers to normal filters not meeting lifespan (longer change intervals), and whether it meets Ford specs.
I'm going to tell you right now that Amsoil oil is basically scam oil for the fact that you are paying way too much for their oil when you can get oil anywhere else including the factory motorcraft oil just about anywhere at a much lower price and is regularly available. I would rather use Mobil 1 over Amsoil just for the fact that high-end manufacturers like Mercedes and BMW in a few other European Exotics recommending mobile one for their vehicles because it meets their specifications. For Mobil 1 oil you can get it for roughly about $10 a court individually vs Amsoil you're paying what more than $20 a quart? It's not worth it at all.

S4 aftermarket filters most are considered okay but do be aware if you have a Fram oil filter on your truck and the engine all of a sudden has a catastrophic failure where it locks up or goes Kaboom or anyting Ford does have a bulletin specifying that if a Fram oil filter is on the engine it will not be covered under warranty whatsoever. Why do they do this? Simply because it has been proven that the basic Fram filter is known to tear apart and let the little cardboard particles go into the engine and clogged up oil passages.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
'm going to tell you right now that Amsoil oil is basically scam oil for the fact that you are paying way too much for their oil when you can get oil anywhere else including the factory motorcraft oil just about anywhere at a much lower price and is regularly available. I would rather use Mobil 1 over Amsoil
Yes, agreed that Mobil 1 is also good :) (as mentioned I've used that in the past as well)

Here's a commonly-passed-around, non-scientific (qualitative) video from Project Farm on synthetic oils. Mobil 1 fell out earlier in the race, so the last two are Amsoil and Royal Purple.

Obviously, these are not the same conditions as engines :D, but it's interesting nonetheless to see some high-level qualities.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi JB,

I good question and I really do not have an answer on how to check. I just solve this by purchasing a Motorcraft filter and be done with it.... I also agree with Chris....avoid Fram. The days of "Pay me now or pay me later" are gone.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Everyone has an opinion on this depending who you ask. Me, I look at the specifications of the filter. How fine a particulate do they catch. In microns. What’s are the flow rates, materials used and construction. So, with that said I got 3 that I will use without a second guess. Motorcraft, Mobile 1 and Wix. Always go for the extreme duty types. This last change used a WIX XP filter. So in reality it’s a 2 part decision. Oil quality (full synthetic) and quality filter for particulate size along with the amount of media used in making the filter.
Sponsored